BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #23
xBMW
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
It sounds like the m-sport and dynamic comfort package is a given based on your other posts.

BMW Apps Package is chump change so you may as well buy it.

I got the tech package and after a few months it seems more like a gimmick than a useful tool for the $2200.

I also go the premium package and at the time I thought I was stupid for spending the $4k but really don't think it's too bad after all.

The Executive Package is just fluff IMO and not necessary.

I spent $10k on options with my X3 and the one package I highly recommend is the dynamic comfort package... money very well spend.

Regrets, for $350... I'd get the storage compartment package if I was ordering the car again.
Thanks for the info. So far I can see myself going for all the packages except dynamic control and executive package. The only thing I like about the exec package is the rear view camera with top view (which I just want to get separately) and the lights package which I unfortunately can't get separately Don't see much use for everything else.

And the dynamic comfort package is being left out because with the M sport your only paying for the Dynamic Damper Control (which all i see being is a sport mode, comfort mode, eco mode switch) as the performance control comes with the M sport package. I don't mind paying the 1500 for the package but is that switch really worth it?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #24
xBMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
... there is no cold weather package on the Canadian cars.
Canadian and their disadvantages
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #25
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Trust me, the dynamic comfort package is the best of all the packages.

All 2013 get console button... The package gives you performance control (which is also included on the msport package)... Basically performance control is the poor man's torque vectoring using the rear brakes.

The import part of the package is the dynamic dampers which transforms the car from a grand tourer into a real taught handling SAV. The dynamic dampers really do a great job!
      08-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #26
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
I actually disagree with this, and would recommend that you drive both, side by side right after each other.

I went into the dealership to order my X3 with the assumption I would be ordering the same N55 that's in my e90 as I do feel that in my lighter e90 with the PPK it is a little rocket.

Side by side in the heavier X3, I really didn't get any thrust you back in the seat experience even in sport mode & DS. It did feel faster, and sound better, but not significantly faster than the 28i. I think the limitation there is the 8 speed gearbox, where if you try to accelerate without triggering a kick down the 28 will feel slow, and the 35 will handle it slightly better. With that being said, just knowing how to touch the throttle in those situations will save you $3-4,000.

Had I gotten the same smile on my face when I pushed the pedal down, I would have elected for the 35. It gets fantastic gas mileage, much better than any of the N52s that I ever owned. On a car trip I can easily get 30mpg on cruise, so probably 1-2 mpg less in the heavier X3.

But side by side, I couldn't justify the premium price for the heavier, not much faster, slightly worse MPG 35, the 28 just felt not only more than adequate, it felt quite good.

In terms of packages, I went all in with the exception of HUD and premium sound. My wife didn't want the additional $1k for premium sound, and the HUD is the older version so didn't want to pay for the old technology.

I saw the SAV package or M-Sport as a must to get the sport seats. My wife elected for SAV as she liked the exterior styling better.

Convenience, both weather packages, and technology were a must for us. We are expecting a child so wanted the rear seat warming for longer trips where she'll sit in the back with the baby.

All in all you really need to see which options you value. The closest in price you can make the two vehicles is 2,850 if you equip a 28 with Xenons and a Sunroof. Once you add the regular packages it's about a $4,000 differential between the two, which for me I just can't justify the engine when the smaller one performs so well. It's not like I'm taking an SUV to the track...

Had I thought that it was going to be an issue with passing or performance on the highway, I'd get the 35, but at this point I'm extremely happy with the decision and can't wait for our 28 to be built.

Definitely drive them side by side.

I drove both in IMHO the difference in acceleration between the two is definitely noticeable. The N55 takes on a completely different character in comparison to the N20 (2.8i) turbo (BOV sounds), cold startup, etc The N20 is a strong motor but it's not the N55.

Put it in sport mode shift manually and go through the gears and you will get almost DCT like shifts. I am completely satisfied. The 35i is a bonafide sleeper 0-60 in 5.5 or better stock is nothing to sneeze at. Or put it this way you can equal the acceleration of a new Cayenne GTS up to 60
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #27
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by car_fan View Post
I drove both in IMHO the difference in acceleration between the two is definitely noticeable. The N55 takes on a completely different character in comparison to the N20 (2.8i) turbo (BOV sounds), cold startup, etc The N20 is a strong motor but it's not the N55.

Put it in sport mode shift manually and go through the gears and you will get almost DCT like shifts. I am completely satisfied. The 35i is a bonafide sleeper 0-60 in 5.5 or better stock is nothing to sneeze at. Or put it this way you can equal the acceleration of a new Cayenne GTS up to 60
I don't know, maybe I drove a really good 28 and a really bad 35 because I would really consider the difference marginal from the 2 vehicles I drove. And I have a 328 (N52) and a 335 now so have a good idea as to how different only 40TQ and 60HP makes. I certainly can't refute the 0-60 times, but it's an SUV, why would I care about that lol!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #28
xBMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_fan View Post

Definitely. I did drive both and I do love the great speed and acceleration of the 35i but I really can't justify that speed for my wife. She's going to be driving the car most often, and it's mainly going to be used as a family car so such a high speed doesn't really make itself useful in that sense. Of course being the knucklehead I am I want to opt for the 300hp engine, albeit after seeing how much I used my 290hp Maxima for such purposes it's a complete waste.

I don't know, here in Canada there is no M-sport on the 28i (which is one package I really want to get). The only decision left for me is the 28i loaded with all the tech features but not as speedy as I'd like, or the 35i with everything, including a high sticker price (which I don't mind paying if it was any use for what the car is really meant to do)

I seem to be fighting that same idiot inside of me every time I buy a new car.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #29
car_fan
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
I don't know, maybe I drove a really good 28 and a really bad 35 because I would really consider the difference marginal from the 2 vehicles I drove. And I have a 328 (N52) and a 335 now so have a good idea as to how different only 40TQ and 60HP makes. I certainly can't refute the 0-60 times, but it's an SUV, why would I care about that lol!
The N20 (2.8i) is no slouch. European Car Mag (Oct. 2012) has established a baseline of 235.6 hp @ 5300 rpm & 256.3 lb/ft @ 4400 rpm "at the wheels" on a DynoJet for the N20 in the F30 sedan. If this is the case, like the N54 & N55 the N20 is underrated. It appears this engine is very tuneable as well. As is, the 2.8i is likely as fast or faster than most of it's 6cylinder competition anyway - so its an equally great choice

Last edited by car_fan; 08-14-2012 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #30
car_fan
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xBMW View Post
Definitely. I did drive both and I do love the great speed and acceleration of the 35i but I really can't justify that speed for my wife. She's going to be driving the car most often, and it's mainly going to be used as a family car so such a high speed doesn't really make itself useful in that sense. Of course being the knucklehead I am I want to opt for the 300hp engine, albeit after seeing how much I used my 290hp Maxima for such purposes it's a complete waste.

I don't know, here in Canada there is no M-sport on the 28i (which is one package I really want to get). The only decision left for me is the 28i loaded with all the tech features but not as speedy as I'd like, or the 35i with everything, including a high sticker price (which I don't mind paying if it was any use for what the car is really meant to do)

I seem to be fighting that same idiot inside of me every time I buy a new car.
I am sure she, as well as you - will enjoy your X3 As I mentioned in my previous post the 2.8i acquits itself very well performance wise
Appreciate 0