BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-21-2021, 08:23 PM   #1
Nik65
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 28i

Coolant refill

Hi, my 2014 X3 need coolant refill. I checked on YouTube & some video shows mixture with distilled water half & half, others just used directly. Do I need to mix with distilled water? I bought the BMW coolant from the dealer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 08:39 PM   #2
Bdavi011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 3.5i

Yes, mix with coolant. The BMW coolant is 100% concentrate so you can make 2 gallons of the concentrate with 50/50 mix. You can buy a gallon of distilled water and remove half and fill the other rhalf with bmw coolant.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 11:30 AM   #3
harrytyron
Registered
Rep
Drives: m2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik65 View Post
Hi, my 2014 X3 need coolant refill. I checked on YouTube & some video shows mixture with distilled water half & half, others just used directly. Do I need to mix with distilled water? 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 I bought the BMW coolant from the dealer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you
my car started complaining about a week ago of low coolant. and i suffer from fuckitis so i didnt check until now. its been sitting for 18 hours, the reservoir is bone dry. car was purchased cpo 4 years (ish) ago. i have never topped it off. ����i did the plugs, oil, all filters and brake

im still covered under cpo warranty, but i know bmw of beverly hills will try to fuck me some how, they def will not see me today, and i have a drive later.

so im going to uber buy fluid from dealer, fun times.

Last edited by harrytyron; 09-22-2021 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 11:49 AM   #4
Bdavi011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 3.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrytyron View Post
my car started complaining about a week ago of low coolant. and i suffer from fuckitis so i didnt check until now. its been sitting for 18 hours, the reservoir is bone dry. car was purchased cpo 4 years (ish) ago. i have never topped it off. 😬😔i did the plugs, oil, all filters and brake

im still covered under cpo warranty, but i know bmw of beverly hills will try to fuck me some how, they def will not see me today, and i have a drive later.

Adding coolant/water is only going to be a temporary fix until you find the leak. Coolant doesn't automatically get consumed with use. My advice would be to top off with distilled water and see where it is leaking. That way when you replace it, you won't be losing brand new coolant. Or if your still under warranty, you can fill it with distilled water and drop it off at the dealer. It's a risk depending on how bad the leak is.
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      09-22-2021, 03:54 PM   #5
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdavi011 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrytyron View Post
my car started complaining about a week ago of low coolant. and i suffer from fuckitis so i didnt check until now. its been sitting for 18 hours, the reservoir is bone dry. car was purchased cpo 4 years (ish) ago. i have never topped it off. 😬😔i did the plugs, oil, all filters and brake

Adding coolant/water is only going to be a temporary fix until you find the leak. Coolant doesn't automatically get consumed with use. My advice would be to top off with distilled water and see where it is leaking. That way when you replace it, you won't be losing brand new coolant. Or if your still under warranty, you can fill it with distilled water and drop it off at the dealer. It's a risk depending on how bad the leak is.
+1 on the distilled water in the expansion tank.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 06:03 PM   #6
deyrag
Private
Rep
Drives: x3 2.8i

It is probably the level sensor built into the bottom of the expansion tank that is leaking.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 01:23 PM   #7
gzalexta
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25

What mileage should I flush the radiator?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 06:02 PM   #8
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzalexta View Post
What mileage should I flush the radiator?
Every few years, say 50-60K miles or so.
Appreciate 0