BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-28-2021, 10:57 AM   #1
Nocto
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3

2011 X3 - 35i - What future repairs should I expect?

Hello everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster.

A few years ago I purchased this X3 with 85,000 miles. I’ve driven it to 112,000 miles so far, and here’s what I’ve had to have fixed so far:
  • Expansion tank, cracked, leaking coolant, replaced
  • Rear main seal, cracked, replaced
  • Battery, died last week, replaced

Here is a list of what the dealer did before it was ready for purchase:
  • Tensioners and pulleys, replaced
  • New brakes and tires
  • Glovebox, common issue, replaced

After my battery replacement, my Indy gave my car an inspection and mentioned that my engine and motor mounts are collapsed, but he said the most I’ll experience is just some vibration. Also my valve cover has a torn diaphragm and needs to be replaced. Also, my rear passenger door won’t unlock from the outside.

The car is paid off, worth about $6-8k in the current market. Any advice on what you would do? What additional repairs can I expect in the near future?

Thank you so much, and apologies if this was long winded.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 11:05 AM   #2
Bdavi011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 3.5i

It really depends if your trying to keep the car for a while or plan on getting rid of it soon. If you plan on keeping it I would replace all the fluids, (engine, brake, transmission, transfer case, and differential) replace the water pump and thermostat if it hasn't been done already. Replace the valve cover, oxygen sensor, spark plug, oil filter housing gasket. Not to sure about vacuum leaks. Have not heard of these cars suffering from vacuum leaks but if you want to go the extra mile replace the intake manifold gaskets and throttle body gasket.
Appreciate 1
Nocto0.00
      09-28-2021, 11:25 AM   #3
Nocto
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdavi011 View Post
It really depends if your trying to keep the car for a while or plan on getting rid of it soon. If you plan on keeping it I would replace all the fluids, (engine, brake, transmission, transfer case, and differential) replace the water pump and thermostat if it hasn't been done already. Replace the valve cover, oxygen sensor, spark plug, oil filter housing gasket. Not to sure about vacuum leaks. Have not heard of these cars suffering from vacuum leaks but if you want to go the extra mile replace the intake manifold gaskets and throttle body gasket.
Thanks so much for the detailed response! My plan is to drive the car until the repairs exceed to the value of the car. My original plan was to at least make it to 150,000k miles (I drive only 8,000 miles per year).

Water pump and thermostat is definitely next on the list as I’m reading that it’s life would be expiring soon, as I believe it’s on its original part.

Fluids have been replaced as well, I forgot to mention that.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 07:07 PM   #4
Bdavi011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 3.5i

If you do the work yourself, then it will be significantly cheaper to have the car last past 150k miles without any major issues. That's as along as everything has been maintained. 5-7k mile engine oil changes. 30k differential, transfer case and transmission fluid change interval and 50k mi transmission service interval.

I am sure your car is gonna hold up well if it's been maintained.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 01:29 AM   #5
Cariboospeed
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

I'm in the same lot. My 2011 only has 50k miles, but still, I have everything ready for a fluid change weekend.
Belt/tensioner on order.
Valve cover has been done.
When the filter housing leaks, I'll get on it.
Debating on plug /coil changeout. Will have parts on hand.
Water pump and t-stat, will have parts on hand soon.
I'll probably change the down pipe, and the O2 sensors then...springtime.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 08:53 AM   #6
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

At 50k mikes you're right about at the point to replace spark plugs; coil packs should not be necessary unless you detect a failure.

Oxygen sensors- on BMW's I've owned prior to X3 I typically changed them out after 100K miles, again, unless you find a fault code/CK engine light you are IMO a long way from needing to replace those sensors.
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2021, 11:34 AM   #7
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
In addition, don't forget the vanos solenoids
Appreciate 0