BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-28-2021, 12:03 AM   #1
Tagajjar
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3

Ofhg question on priming

We swapped the gaskets and changed oil and refilled housing and filled through valve cover also however priming didn’t get done. It was backed out of driveway then driven to park on street.

This cause any damage? Should I prime it now it was idled for about 5 min.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 10:57 AM   #2
Bdavi011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 3.5i

Technically replacing the OFHG is similar to doing an oil change on a car. The oil filter housing gets drained and then you start the car after you added a new oil/filter. So a priming should not be needed to get the oil circulated in the engine. However, with some cars experiencing bearing failures after the OFHG job, it began to be recommended to prime the engine before starting it.

Your car already idled and has been on for 5 minutes. No point in priming it now, the engine oil has circulated already. If you aren't experiencing any issues now, your completely fine.

I did not prime my engine when I replaced the OFHG 20k miles ago. Car runs just fine today.
Appreciate 2
      09-28-2021, 06:01 PM   #3
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

…I have read old posts about priming; honestly I think it's much more fiction than fact. Even the Germans would not design an engine that requires something like that!
Appreciate 0