BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-21-2021, 07:34 AM   #1
Canosgmk
Registered
Rep
Drives: 12’ X3 20D; 07’ 118i

New BMW owner. X3 20D.

Hey everyone.

I got my flame suit on and ready to receive.

Did try all the search options and everything is super barrier now.

I am living in Belgium and driving EU spec X3 20D BMW. However I have an APO address and can accept US shipped or EU shipped parts.

What I think I need is the following:
- sway bar(s) - klunking when the wheel is turned hard going over a bump and the car pulls very hard while on the shoulder or the crown of the lane.
-drive side wing mirror motor. It’s folded in and doesn’t fold out. I checked the fuses and the motor make no clicking sounds when activated.

The car has 128,000km on it.

What online store should I go to for these? (Was checking out eeuroparts)

Most importantly, what else should I do for preventative maintenance? Engine, transmission mounts, spark plugs, glow plugs, thermostat, etc…. I tried looking through the owner manual and it basically said just bring it to the dealer every 20,000km. Lol.

Thanks y’all.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 06:09 PM   #2
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
If you're getting a knocking sound over bumps (usually at slower speeds), it may be the sway bar links (not the sway bars). The links typically have a small ball joint at each end and these joints tend to get loose due to corrosion. They can ordered cheaply from Rockauto and sent to your APO address.

Try ebay for the mirror motor. Used parts are often the cheapest source especially compared to new factory parts.

Since yours is a 20d, I can't imagine needing spark plugs as diesels don't have any.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 01:17 AM   #3
Canosgmk
Registered
Rep

Thank you for responding.

You are right about the spark plugs. However, does anyone have a list of preventive maintenance that should be done? I read about Disa (sp?) yesterday and didn’t look it up if it apply to me.

Basically my education is based on YouTube suggested videos right now.

I will start sourcing out eBay for the mirror.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 09:20 AM   #4
andreigbs
Dr Drei
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3d

Garage List
'16 X3d  [0.00]
If you have no records of past service, you might want to get caught up on all maintenance items based on mileage.

I'd plan on new engine air filter, cabin filter, fuel filter, new LL-04 oil and filter.

Then a driveline fluid drain and refill (front and rear diffs, transfer case, transmission).

Then I'd have the alignment checked/adjusted. You would find out where the clunking is coming from exactly and be able to plan your repair(s) accordingly.
      09-24-2021, 12:24 PM   #5
Bdavi011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 3.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canosgmk View Post
Thank you for responding.

You are right about the spark plugs. However, does anyone have a list of preventive maintenance that should be done? I read about Disa (sp?) yesterday and didn’t look it up if it apply to me.

Basically my education is based on YouTube suggested videos right now.

I will start sourcing out eBay for the mirror.
I don't think your car has a DISA valve. If I remember correctly the next generation of BMWs that had turbo engines had a different sort of engine management system that does not usa a DISA valve anymore. Hoping someone with your engine can confirm this though.

On preventive maintenance, I would replace every single fluid with the correct fluid. As the previous member posted replace all drive train fluids, coolant, brake fluid, engine oil, trans mission, transfer case, and differentials. Do not believe any claims about lifetime fluid. It doesn't exist.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 01:40 AM   #6
Canosgmk
Registered
Rep

Thanks everyone. Ordering all the items I need for the above now.

There is zero history on the car and I’m told from the dealer that sold it to be just to trust them. I don’t speak French and barley speaks English. Lol. After owning a Vw for 12 years, I know if you don’t keep up on this stuff, the car will deteriorate quickly.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 08:05 AM   #7
agent_orange
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F25 X3 30d, 2021 F87 M2C

Clunking when the wheel is turned hard going over a bump sounds more like the steering rack thrust piece.
A very common issue on 1/2/3/4 F series and X3/X4 and happens with far less kms/mileage than yours.
Also what tyres? I virtually eliminated tramlining (and many other issues) on my X3 simply by changing from non-runflat, non-star marked tyres back to runflat star-marked tyres. No alignment changes or anything else.
Not a popular sentiment on the forums though where everyone will tell you to change to non-runflat tyres.
Appreciate 0