BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-25-2021, 02:26 PM   #1
rcblackwell
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive

Map Update 2022-1 Fails at 63% Completion

I'm trying to update map data in a 2016 BMW X3. The map file (ROAD MAP NORTH AMERICA NEXT 2022-1) and FSC code were purchased from a reputable seller. I've even tried map data from a different seller without sucess.

Here's what I've done so far;
  1. Downloaded MAP files and unzipped to FAT32 formatted USB stick
  2. Started the car and let the navigation system fully boot up.
  3. Inserted USB stick in the center console. There is no USB port in the glove box.
  4. Once the USB stick is recognized, I followed the prompts and entered FSC code.
  5. The dData upload started, albeit very slow compared to previous updates. Update took three hours to reach 63%

Once it reached 63%, the NAV system rebooted. Following reboot, an error appeared on screen "unable to read USB data. Insert USB 3". I've tried several USB keys (all top end), all formatted as FAT32. I've even tried exFAT and NTFS. Which ever format is used, the system boots to the update screen indicating 63% complete then shortly afterwards shows the error, unable to read USB data.

I've been in touch with the seller regarding the issue. He reached out to a BMW contact who suggested a number of steps that should have rectified the problem. Nothing suggested thus far has worked. He's now suggesting there may be a problem with the car and that I should bring it into BMW for a$$e$$ment. Prior to doing so I'd thought I'd reach out to members here to see if they've experienced a similar problem and if so, how it was corrected.

Any pointers you have in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advnace
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 03:00 PM   #2
rcblackwell
Private
Canada
Rep

Trouble Diagnosed by Dealer

Soooo... My vehicle is back from the BMW stealers. With assistance from BMW Canada, the problem has been diagnosed as a faulty head unit. Notes on the work order indicate head units HD is showing SMART errors. The stealers want $4k to replace and reprogram the unit. The diagnoses reads;

Quote:
client requested navigation map update to the latest map. perform programming via ista and attempt importing map 2022-1 into vehicle, update failed. attempted with usb stick and update failed. attempted a few older maps via ISTA/D including 2021-2 (current map in car is 2020-2) as well as tried 2016-2, each time the update fails, when the update is attempting to install, the CID goes black, and the LK15 voltage in ISTA/D shows 0v even though the key is on. Once the update attempt fails, the KL15 voltage returns and CID becomes operational again. tried to install map 2022-1 with the map data on a USB stick again, and that failed, it quickly loaded to 63% and then fails saying the USB does not contain correct data. After that the navigation was totally inoperative. performed complete vehicle coding and imported the original vehicle order, after that the navigation was once again working. tried update again and it failed again. during the time when the nav was not operating, fault codes B7F815 Hard disk map data: not available and E1C440 HU-H: Reset were present, but have not been present since. submit tsara case 1269569 for assistance

headunit defective tsara case 1269569 continued from correction lines..

response from tsara case is: There is a shadow fault in the HU:100402 - HDD: SMART Status near critical state, This indicates hard disk issue and will need to replace the HU to rectify this.
quoted replacement and programming of head-unit, replacement of head-unit declined at this time
I asked the dealer about replacing the head-unit's HD. They won't do that. I'm wondering if the HD is the cause of the issue and if so, would it be possible to remove the existing drive and clone a replacement?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 10:17 PM   #3
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
I've read of people using a PC to clone a HD to a SSD for more speed so I assume cloning a HD to HD should be possible. I can understand the dealer wanting to replace the entire head unit since not all their techs are capable of cloning a drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 04:56 AM   #4
Sandy5454
Sandy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30D

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
The initial problem can be read as a faulty USB. I would reset the car media /head unit and then I would start again using a new usb, and then maybe even an alternative soucrce for the map update, or just buy a USB map update from BMW. If the BMW usb fails then you can get your money back.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 06:59 AM   #5
rcblackwell
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy5454 View Post
If the BMW usb fails then you can get your money back.
I'm afraid that is not the case. I had the BMW dealer attempt a map update. That's what lead to identification of a faulty head unit. The dealer told me that once an unlock code is acquired from BMW they cannot obtain a credit if the code is not used. Despite arguing, I ended up paying for the code !
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 09:49 AM   #6
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Hope you got your money back from the seller you bought from as your head unit was working fine before using the update.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 10:30 AM   #7
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Remove the HD, connect it to a PC and use a SMART app to check for high numbers of errors in the SMART data. BMW may have a certain threshold set for each error type and your HD has exceeded those. If so, get a drive as close to the size/type as the stock one and clone the old to the new.

By chance, have you ripped a lot of music from CD onto the HD?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 09:12 AM   #8
rcblackwell
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
...have you ripped a lot of music from CD onto the HD?
I would say not. I haven't ripped anything onto the HD since first purchasing the vehicle back in 2015.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 09:29 AM   #9
rcblackwell
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post
Hope you got your money back from the seller you bought from as your head unit was working fine before using the update.
Working on it!
Appreciate 0