BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-26-2016, 08:05 AM   #67
Desborough
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Dinan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
In before all the 'diluted M comments'! (Which I do not agree with)
It makes absolute perfect sense offering An M or an M Performance model from X1 to X7.
X7M please we have a lot of dependants to haul around and would like to do it in style with a hot rod package to boot
      04-26-2016, 08:48 AM   #68
okolisr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 435i xDrive Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunker View Post
Well if you're serious Scott, I'll have an X1M as soon as you can make one.
+1

The X3M is fine for those who need more hauling capacity, but the X1M should be the most fun of all these -- just like the smaller M2 versus the larger M3 or M5.

A hot 4-cylinder engine will be fine for the X1M -- just give me small SUV, with tight suspension, that I can fling around corners. Oh, and a manual-transmission option would be nice too.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 08:59 AM   #69
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumac
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
It makes absolute perfect sense offering An M or an M Performance model from X1 to X7.
I suppose... but really, are M SAV/SUVs really necessary?
Now that you mention it ...

Is ///M " even necessary " ?

If I was a person working in the M division whose job is to make high performance automobiles and I got to play with making cars quicker/better/faster, I don't think I would turn down work ... : Would you ?

Perhaps you also weren't aware that the competition is making vehicles like the Macan, and a new smaller version, as well as models from Audi and Mercedes ?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 09:43 AM   #70
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

If I was a person working in the M division whose job is to make high performance automobiles and I got to play with making cars quicker/better/faster, I don't think I would turn down work ... : Would you ?

Perhaps you also weren't aware that the competition is making vehicles like the Macan, and a new smaller version, as well as models from Audi and Mercedes ?
I agree with this, I use to get the dilution of brand, and it actually makes sense until the competition started building really cool stuff, after a while you swallow some pride if you want to stay in business, and BMW is a business.

BMW is just satisfying the purest in different ways with special additions of the M cars, I really have no problem with this.
      04-26-2016, 10:30 AM   #71
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

Excited for this!

S55 please
Silverstone paint please
Merino leather with bespoke seats please

Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      04-26-2016, 10:32 AM   #72
///M-Furby
Master Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 SO

i told my wife, if x3 ever got an m, i would support buying it
"Boo" CPO 2006 330xi | Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 10:46 AM   #73
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

this will be tough, lease another X6 (base engine) or get this. They will be priced similar and have similar cargo room (trading performance for luxury as the inside of the X6 is a lot nicer than the X3).

too bad the timing will be off with my current lease end (August 2018, I am guessing this car will come out fall 2019).

not sure I would trust my wife with 500 horsepower on an everyday basis (but she does handle my M3 fairly well).
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 01:12 PM   #74
theriz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2017 F80 M3  [0.00]
2011 335i M-Sport  [4.00]
2015 M3  [0.00]
2009 X5  [10.00]
I have no doubt this with have the S55 but the question i do have is. Will it have a ZF or DCT Tranny? Might be a deal breaker.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 02:31 PM   #75
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
Makes sense to who? Bean counters and share holders? Or brand loyalists? Because with this bloated lineup and confused sales force, eventually one of those aforementioned groups exits the building.
Compact and mid entry or in BMW Speak UKL+ & KKL+ Segments continue to grow as do MKL+ and GKL+.
As a business you cannot ignore the segments that bring increased growth and are segments mostly in demand by customers.
You have only have to look at how markets -The US for example in regards to BMW,Audi and Mercedes-Benz are seeing further increase in SUVs rather than conventional portfolio models.

Its a Sign O' The Times.
      04-26-2016, 02:46 PM   #76
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:

The XM models are necessary as they are known at BMW as the Volume M models since the introduction of the E70/E71.
Both generations of XM models are successful and contribute exceptional numbers for BMW M. There is a market for further and downsized performance SUVs as well with BMW M. That is why X1/X2 will come with M Performance option at the compact segment as will MINI with the Countryman/Countryman Coupe.

The X3 is in a prime position so there are options on the table as well as the Full High Performance X3 M which we see here.
As well as the X3 M there will be an M Performance model, A more entry performance level aimed at the Mercedes-Benz GLC AMG43 and
there will be an iPerformance PHEV model.

But here is where things become interesting, they are evaluating the market especially if the market would be ready for an X3 as a European M Performance M50d using the upcoming upgraded Tri-Turbo engine? Or indeed the Power eDrive X3 M50e?
The key to those is whether the X3's segment can sustain such high performance models in the entry class? Or leave them exclusively to the X5.

The implementation of composites and light weight materials within the load weight bearing areas will give the X3/X3M a slightly over 100KG weight reduction with the M having slightly more.
One clever piece of disguise is the formed rear shell at that covers the rear quarter of the car including disguising the sharper lines and rear glasshouse making them appear more rounded compared to the sharper looking front section. A new BMW X4 will also feature with a BMW X4M and we should start seeing that in standard prototype shortly.
The new X3 ushers in the new BMW SAV design language.

By 2018 the entire BMW X portfolio will have been renewed,refreshed and expanded right on schedule for future SUV market growth projections.
The market will grow for SUVs.
      04-26-2016, 03:48 PM   #77
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
And the F-Pace and Levante. Everyone is getting in on the action and for some reason BMW has taken 3 generations to finally put a performance version of the X3 when they could have been the first.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 04:20 PM   #78
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinv6 View Post
Excited for this!

S55 please
Silverstone paint please
Merino leather with bespoke seats please

Long Beach Blue or Valencia Orange will do me

Wouldn't say no to Sepang Bronze though or maybe even Sunburst Gold

Anything with some colour rather than the endless shades of bloody monochrome that seem to be all that BMW want to offer these days.
      04-26-2016, 04:30 PM   #79
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

I'd rock it
      04-26-2016, 04:48 PM   #80
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The XM models are necessary as they are known at BMW as the Volume M models since the introduction of the E70/E71.
Both generations of XM models are successful and contribute exceptional numbers for BMW M. There is a market for further and downsized performance SUVs as well with BMW M. That is why X1/X2 will come with M Performance option at the compact segment as will MINI with the Countryman/Countryman Coupe.

The X3 is in a prime position so there are options on the table as well as the Full High Performance X3 M which we see here.
As well as the X3 M there will be an M Performance model, A more entry performance level aimed at the Mercedes-Benz GLC AMG43 and
there will be an iPerformance PHEV model.

But here is where things become interesting, they are evaluating the market especially if the market would be ready for an X3 as a European M Performance M50d using the upcoming upgraded Tri-Turbo engine? Or indeed the Power eDrive X3 M50e?
The key to those is whether the X3's segment can sustain such high performance models in the entry class? Or leave them exclusively to the X5.

The implementation of composites and light weight materials within the load weight bearing areas will give the X3/X3M a slightly over 100KG weight reduction with the M having slightly more.
One clever piece of disguise is the formed rear shell at that covers the rear quarter of the car including disguising the sharper lines and rear glasshouse making them appear more rounded compared to the sharper looking front section. A new BMW X4 will also feature with a BMW X4M and we should start seeing that in standard prototype shortly.
The new X3 ushers in the new BMW SAV design language.

By 2018 the entire BMW X portfolio will have been renewed,refreshed and expanded right on schedule for future SUV market growth projections.
The market will grow for SUVs.

I was being facetious , I'm already in favor.

I've got no reason to hold back ///M... Thanks for the added info !

A
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 04:53 PM   #81
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz
Quote:
And the F-Pace and Levante. Everyone is getting in on the action and for some reason BMW has taken 3 generations to finally put a performance version of the X3 when they could have been the first.

BMW has taken 3 generations to finally put a performance version of the X3 when they could have been the first.

TRUTH
Appreciate 1
DCG780.50
      04-26-2016, 05:12 PM   #82
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
BMW has taken 3 generations to finally put a performance version of the X3 when they could have been the first.

TRUTH
When the first generation model was introduced in 2003. It was more of a lifestyle vehicle therefore performance would not have suited its more robust looks. At this time there was no X5 M either just the 4.8iS.
The Cayenne was just out and the high performance SUV market was in its infancy.

Then when the second generation came along again there was no market for such a vehicle concept in 2010. Macan was not a reality and there was no case for introduction of such a vehicle in that entry segment as more focus was on the larger models that were selling especially well.

Now is the time as Macan has proved that an entry SUV than offer stand alone performance and ability. Although it has taken about two years for the market to established.
      04-26-2016, 05:18 PM   #83
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Now is the time as Macan has proved that an entry SUV than offer stand alone performance and ability. Although it has taken about two years for the market to established.
All that says is BMW don't have the confidence to be market leaders....only market followers?
      04-26-2016, 05:41 PM   #84
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
All that says is BMW don't have the confidence to be market leaders....only market followers?
Not necessarily. Customer demand figures into it as well and BMW did approach via focus group for a F25 X3 M but no one was generally interested at the time.
For a company such as BMW would development and marketing costs be supplemented by sales?
Porsche in developing Macan had to go through several focus groups to see if the Porsche brand can be extended downwards and at first the Macan is the second revisit to the concept. Time changes the market and now is that time.
That is why a new smaller Porsche SUV under the Macan is in process to become a reality.
      04-26-2016, 06:01 PM   #85
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Quote:

TRUTH
When the first generation model was introduced in 2003. It was more of a lifestyle vehicle therefore performance would not have suited its more robust looks. At this time there was no X5 M either just the 4.8iS.
The Cayenne was just out and the high performance SUV market was in its infancy.

Then when the second generation came along again there was no market for such a vehicle concept in 2010. Macan was not a reality and there was no case for introduction of such a vehicle in that entry segment as more focus was on the larger models that were selling especially well.

The X5 4.6iS (and later 4.8iS) were more defining than most realize though wouldn't you agree? They provided higher performance variants that Alpina couldn't independently provide to the essential US market and M GmbH was still risk adverse to dilution of the ///M moniker. Then the E70/71 came along and BMW AG shoved the X5M/X6M along with the S63 motor down M GmbH's throat, held a cocked pistol to their head and said "finish this and don't screw up", while reminding them of the S54/S65/S85 consequences. It's also created a bit of a new friendly dis-agreement between Alpina and BMW.

Last edited by lemetier; 04-26-2016 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 06:34 PM   #86
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam
Quote:
I think he was simply reiterating the point that the x3m is late to the market because Porsche put out the Macan first and has their model sold out for a year or more ... Perhaps not unlike a vehicle like the Cayman GT4.. ?

Looks like BMW will be about 3 years too late
to ' recognize ' that market also ...
Appreciate 2
DCG780.50
      04-26-2016, 06:50 PM   #87
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by theriz View Post
I have no doubt this with have the S55 but the question i do have is. Will it have a ZF or DCT Tranny? Might be a deal breaker.
It will almost certainly employ a proper automatic rather than a DCT.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 08:52 PM   #88
theriz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2017 F80 M3  [0.00]
2011 335i M-Sport  [4.00]
2015 M3  [0.00]
2009 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
It will almost certainly employ a proper automatic rather than a DCT.
Appreciate 0