BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #111
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

I am convinced the noise I get is coming from the bottom of the window and the seal not sealing properly against the glass. Mine is more traffic noise than wind and not as bad as some report.

I wondered if x line (which I have) is a contributing factor.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #112
roundtree
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 F25 28i SB

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [10.00]
2012 BMW X3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
if you want to get scientific: take two iPhones, set the alarm at full volume on one, set it off and then place it 1m from the X3 on the ground. Get in, close the door and record the decibel level with an app on the 2nd iPhone. Repeat with the first iPhone at the front, back etc. Then find someone on this forum to do the same thing and compare readings. I'm happy to try for you but the wife is away with the 2nd iPhone at the moment
Where's the Mythbusters when you need them...though that may lead to a stray cannon accident, so best to stick with the fruity phone options instead for now.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 07:11 AM   #113
Ural
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 20d

On Monday I brought mine to the dealer for the third time on this issue. With my suggestion this time they put some insulation to the B pillars (I guess between the plastic cover outside and metal panel) and also pulled the doors a little in. Result: No improvement to the current noise (wind or traffic or hearing my tires on wet surfaces as Clive has mentioned) plus I now have a whistling kind of noise like a window is slightly left open which is starting around 60-70 kmh and getting terrible over 120 kmh . I also had a sunroof rattle which had been fixed at second visit but had started after a short time . I mentioned it too and they worked on it once more, but this time rattle returned earlier, just the next day in a very annoying tone. I am sick and tired of all this and am planning to ask them to keep the car for as long as they need but give it back to me with more effective and longer term solutions.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 03:27 PM   #114
Seven
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 35d M-Sport

Hi Ural,

Do you have any updates regarding the noise issues you having with your X3?

I bought my X3 in December 2011 and I’m hearing a small whistling that comes from the driver’s side and that starts at speeds around 70 Kph, just like yours. I’ve noticed poor isolation since day one and my X3 was built in November 2011. I took the car to the dealer yesterday and they’ve decided to request some parts related with the side mirrors from Germany. I’ll have to wait some days for the parts to arrive but I’ll keep you updated as soon as they install it on my car and if I notice or not a reasonable improvement.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 03:06 AM   #115
Ural
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Hi Ural,

Do you have any updates regarding the noise issues you having with your X3?

I bought my X3 in December 2011 and I’m hearing a small whistling that comes from the driver’s side and that starts at speeds around 70 Kph, just like yours. I’ve noticed poor isolation since day one and my X3 was built in November 2011. I took the car to the dealer yesterday and they’ve decided to request some parts related with the side mirrors from Germany. I’ll have to wait some days for the parts to arrive but I’ll keep you updated as soon as they install it on my car and if I notice or not a reasonable improvement.
Hi Seven,

Nothing new since my last post on 1/19. I decided to put up with the noise for another month because there is 4,000 kms left to first oil change. When I bring it in for that I am planning to leave the car for as long as it takes until I am somewhat convinced that they at least lessened the current noise.

Regarding your situation, you are right. It sounds very similar to what I have in my car. Mirror gasket TSB should definitely be done as first step. It didn't help much to me or some other members posted in this thread, but anyway let them do it, hopefully it will work for you. If not, you can try to make them replace the door seals (which I could not yet) . Another quick thing may be having the doors pulled in a little bit ( although didn't help me either). Anyway, do keep us posted please.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 03:42 AM   #116
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Someone from BMW (ie not the dealer) is going to listen to my car tomorrow. I don't suppose there will be an immediate "yes it's noisy", I expect a conversation with Munich will then take place.

Last edited by clivem2; 02-01-2012 at 07:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 06:00 AM   #117
Ural
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
Someone from BMW (ie not the dealer) is going to listen to my car tomorrow. I don't suppose there will be an immediate "yes it's noisy", I expect an conversation with Munich will then take place.
Looking forward to hearing from you what the BMW guy or his supervisors will say or take action about the issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #118
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ural View Post
plus I now have a whistling kind of noise like a window is slightly left open which is starting around 60-70 kmh and getting terrible over 120 kmh .
i'm getting this too... can't be right if i can hear this at 50 mph!
      02-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #119
Ural
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude00 View Post
i'm getting this too... can't be right if i can hear this at 50 mph!
That's our exact point. Every car may have some wind noise, but not at low speeds like that.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 07:21 AM   #120
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

The regional mgr from BMW drove my car today. The wind noise he's sure is coming from the mirrors (no surprise), it changed in frequency with the mirrors folded. Unless BMW change the mirror caps for ones with vortex channels he doesn't see anything that can be done. He's driving some more X3's over the next few days to see if the wind noise is the same and whether other external noises are easily heard. He'll be driving the demo car that's worse than my car. Overall it's not very promising......

What he did say was that emissions are the number priority and saving weight is the number one method to excel in this area. The implication being that weight has been taken out of the vehicle, along with other models being launched now; increased noise is a consequence. He didn't have an answer for me when I suggested dumping RFTs as being a better way to save weight!

Last edited by clivem2; 02-02-2012 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #121
Ural
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The regional mgr from BMW drove my car today. The wind noise he's sure is coming from the mirrors (no surprise), it changed in frequency with the mirrors folded. Unless BMW change the mirror caps for ones with vortex channels he doesn't see anything that can be done. He's driving some more X3's over the next few days to see if the wind noise is the same and whether other external noises are easily heard. He'll be driving the demo car that's worse than my car. Overall it's not very promising......
Any update on this? Has he let you know if the noise is the same for other X3s too?

Quote:
What he did say was that emissions are the number priority and saving weight is the number one method to excel in this area. The implication being that weight has been taken out of the vehicle, along with other models being launched now; increased noise is a consequence. He didn't have an answer for me when I suggested dumping RFTs as being a better way to save weight!
I am not convinced that auto industry has reached the point in reducing weight that a premium SUV consequently lets in the cabin significant wind and traffic noise from 60-70 km/h .
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #122
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

No updates and I'm pretty darned pissed off with this situation.

BMW gave me a dealer questionnaire which also asked about the car so I've told them what I think and I ticked the box saying I wanted to be contacted.

I'll check with the dealer in a few days, if there's no update from the BMW regional guy then it's time for a letter to the UK MD.

There's no doubt the noise I have exists, everyone can hear it. I must admit I'm starting to wonder if all X3s have it but that some of us are more critical over noise than others?

Last edited by clivem2; 02-08-2012 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #123
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 430xi GC

Having put off the issue for quite some time, I had my BMW dealer address my wind noise issue when my annual service popped up.

I never was able to be sure, but I heard there was a TSB related to pre-July 2011 production cars (my X3 was built in Jan '11). The TSB involved replacing (or adding?) insulation behind the triangle at the base of the side-view mirrors.

Guess what? Wind noise gone.

Kudos to BMW for getting it right.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #124
Hornet_Rider
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i 2011 M-Sport

The noise most of us hear I think is more coming from head level. It is not coming from the front of the door but the back of the front door, where the pillar is. The mirror noise is something different. I got the TSB done and it did not change anything as there was no noise coming from the mirror. The mechanic test drove the car with me before and it was obviously not coming from the miror and they changed it anyway... smart? not sure...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #125
Ural
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet_Rider View Post
The noise most of us hear I think is more coming from head level. It is not coming from the front of the door but the back of the front door, where the pillar is. The mirror noise is something different. I got the TSB done and it did not change anything as there was no noise coming from the mirror. The mechanic test drove the car with me before and it was obviously not coming from the miror and they changed it anyway... smart? not sure...
+1

There are various wind and traffic noises inside the car depending on the speed and area you drive, but the constantly annoying one starting from low speeds is the one from the B Pillar at ear level.

Mine was in on Monday for service at 25000 kms. We had agreed with the dealer to leave the car for a week to at least diagnose this as an issue . However due to the rainy days throughout the week, it would not be easy for them to hear the noise on wet roads, so we postponed it for now.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #126
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 430xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet_Rider View Post
The buffeting wind noise that I had sounded like it was coming from the top of the window. They replace the window seals, about 3 months after I took delivery and that helped, but did not eliminate the noise. When they did this last servicing and replaced the insulation behind the mirrors, the noise was gone.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #127
mvitch
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i Alpine White

My new 2012 X3 35i is very quite at highway speed, maybe if I strain to hear just a tad of air noice coming through my driver side window. Very quite otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #128
Ural
Private First Class
Rep

My X3 spent the previous two weeks at the dealer's. Before leaving it we took it to another test with the chief technician . I told him to drive to a certain route I frequently use where the particular noise that drives me crazy could be heard distinctly. When we were there I told him to speed up to 80 kmh (50 mph) and then move his ear a little closer to the side window, and bingo he heard it . He even described it to me with possible reasons. I left the car happily thinking that now they at least know what to work on. Two weeks later I went back to pick the car up. The rep who was always kind and helpful said they totally solved it. I did not have time to take it to another test drive, so I thanked him and drove away . Sadly, nothing was solved. Noise is still there. This is the 4th time my car was in for this issue and I don't know what to do next. Probably write a letter to BMW Germany.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #129
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I contacted the UK MD (his office, I doubt he's seen my email). My email was then sent to the UK National Service Manager. Here's a list of my concerns:

1) Wind noise from about 60 mph, it sounds like the car is being driven on a blustery day even in still conditions. This noise almost certainly emanates from the large mirrors but it should not enter the cabin.

2) Traffic noise - other vehicles, particularly on the motorway, can be heard loudly. The level of traffic noise is commensurate with wet weather even though the road is dry.

3) External noises such as people talking, passing trucks and car stereos are at a level I would expect from a convertible with soft top (ie not a metal roof).

4) When driving on local roads at say 30 mph in the wet I can hear the water sloshing from the tyres. I'm well aware the RFTs tend to be more noisy than normal tyres but this is not tyre noise per se. Our Mini One is far quieter on wet roads that the X3.[/QUOTE]

I have now heard back from Customer Services following my writing to the BMW UK MD.

I am told that the noise level in the cabin is determined to be a characteristic of the vehicle and that BMW Germany have advised that no modifications will be released for my vehicle, as they believe that no fault is present on my vehicle.

My expectations are clearly in advance of what BMW believe they should be. BMW seem happy with the the X3 being noisier than other similar vehicles.
      04-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #130
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

You got the old "Your vehicle is performing to specification" excuse.

You should probably ask them "OK, then what exactly is the specification? Does somebody record the decibel level inside and outside the vehicle? I want to see the written specification from BMW HQ." I mean, really put them on the spot. Make them sweat a little.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #131
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Everyone who's driven the car hears the wind noise, no one is questioning it's there both the dealer and BMW....they seem to think it's acceptable, probably because they are told to. I'll think about what I can do next....in reality probably not a lot....the BMW brand in my eyes (and ears) has lost some value now. This is my 8th BMW, will there be a 9th?
      04-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #132
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

my missus swore there was no wind noise (being a passenger most of the time) until over the wkend she drove to the cotswold with some relatives... now she thinks otherwise!