BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-15-2016, 08:09 PM   #1
PhotoMax
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 xLine xDrive35i

Late model x3: H&K sound system EQ settings?

I am experimenting with different audio settings: base, treble, fader and EQ, etc. Still not dialed in. What are you guys using for these advanced audio settings?

Thanks!

Max
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 07:05 PM   #2
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

A while ago, someone took a SPL meter to the system and posted a recommended EQ curve that a think a lot of folks had success with. If you search the forum for "EQ settings" or something similar I'm sure you'll find the original post (I believe it was posted by Radioactive?). If I recall correctly it was for the 16-speaker Harmon Kardon system and not the base system.

Note that it may not be applicable any longer as the EQ curve was for pre-LCI X3s--BMW may have changed or upgraded the drivers, amps, and source unit since then.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 07:08 PM   #3
PhotoMax
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 xLine xDrive35i

Thanks, I will try to look for that thread.

I am sort of playing with different settings, reading some stuff (other BMW models).

One thing I notice: I will play a song, adjust the settings, set a EQ curve and all is good. The next time I am driving (different music) and it sounds not so good.

The dealer gave me a free trial for the Sirius service. I am familiar with it, decent sellection, commercial free which is nice. But the sound quality was awful. It sounded like bad MP3 with super high compression. Deal breaker!

So, I am looking at options. I went searching and found my classic white old school Apple iPod. I cleaned it and charged it over night. My old music collection is still there. I thought I might need some fancy BMW Y connector with audio plug but just the regular USB cable worked: plugged it into the port in the center armrest. The X3 system found it and I can search, play the tunes and even view the album artwork cover. Nice.

*Not sure if this port will keep the iPod charged?

** I wonder if there is a better USB drive that could contain more music, stay charged, etc, than this old iPod? Or is this iPod a good way to go?

Thanks,

Max
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 07:45 PM   #4
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaX View Post
A while ago, someone took a SPL meter to the system and posted a recommended EQ curve that a think a lot of folks had success with. If you search the forum for "EQ settings" or something similar I'm sure you'll find the original post (I believe it was posted by Radioactive?). If I recall correctly it was for the 16-speaker Harmon Kardon system and not the base system.

Note that it may not be applicable any longer as the EQ curve was for pre-LCI X3s--BMW may have changed or upgraded the drivers, amps, and source unit since then.
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...=premium+sound
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 07:48 PM   #5
Gort
Klaatu Barada Nikto
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3-35i

As of last week, our Harman Kardon audio systems are now Samsung. Doesn't quite have the same panache does it?
Appreciate 0