BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-07-2016, 01:37 PM   #1
jbinbi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Poor service from dealership

I have a 2012 X3. 2 weeks ago while driving, a message came up saying something like, "engine getting too warm, drive conservatively". I was close to my destination, so it didn't come on again, but driving home on the highway, about 8 mi from my house, same message came on. I ignored it thinking I could make it home, but the car started losing power.

Realizing the car was shutting itself down rather than destroy the engine, I pulled over, let the car cool off, started it up 10 min later and got home.

Called the dealership , and made an appt, the best the had was last Friday. This dealership is about 35 min away in morning and evening traffic. I also needed the piece that goes in over the rear compartment between the rails in the 'trunk' area. They gave me a loaner car as well.

Brought car in on Friday at 9am, they call me at 415 to say, car won't be done. What. Replacing the water pump is a 4 to 5 hour job, and you are telling me at 415 , 45 min before you close that you haven't even't started the job?

Of course, I had made plans in the area when I picked up the car that evening. Now that isn't going to happen, need to reschedule for monday.

It is now Monday at 230. CAlled to tell me the car is done, but the part for the rear compartment that they would have, they don't have until tomorrow morning. But I can keep my loaner another day.

I didn't buy my car from this dealership because of the crappy sales service they gave, but had to bring my car here for repairs because I didn't think I could make it to the place I brought it from, which is 50 mi away.

Should have just brought my car to the local mechanic, who would have been $250 less to replace the water pump.

No idea who to even complain to. End rant.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 02:35 PM   #2
hoho_leung
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

You should talk to their general manager. You explain your situation to them. And you must say, "I know you guys don't make much money on sales or service but through the big bonus from BMW based on your customer rating. I am going to talk to those folks." Believe me, they will try to make you happy.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 03:40 PM   #3
dandanio
The one that drives!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 x3 35i/09 Jetta TDI

Replacing the water pump and the thermostat in the N55 engine is billed at 6hours with about $450/waterpump and $200/thermostat. So, all in all about $1000 oop. Complaining the way you do is such a first world problem...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 07:15 PM   #4
jbinbi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandanio View Post
Replacing the water pump and the thermostat in the N55 engine is billed at 6hours with about $450/waterpump and $200/thermostat. So, all in all about $1000 oop. Complaining the way you do is such a first world problem...
I am not complaining about the price. I am complaining about the inefficiency and their lack of concern regarding it.

I have started 7 high tech companies. I know how hard it is to get a customer. To lose one when you already have one is poor business.

Not sure what you are implying 'first world problem'. Anyone who has a BMW has a first world problem, complaining or not.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 09:15 PM   #5
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I don't know if the water pump is a locally stocked part. I've been surprised by the number of parts which come in next-day from a BMW distribution center.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 12:54 AM   #6
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i Touring MSport

Complain about what?? They fixed the car, right ? And they gave you a loaner! I would say that is more than they would have to do, for you did not even buy the car there.
And if they dont get a part on time, is not their fault. And they had a great solution , for you could keep the loaner another day.

I would think their service is great.

And if you insisted to bring it to your own dealer (where you bought it) you should have called them, and not this dealer. If the distance was too far, you should have asked them to come and pick up the car. But I am sure, that would not have been done for free.
It is often better to have a dealer that is closer to your home (even when you might get a lesser discount on a new car.....).

Last edited by Portimao318; 11-08-2016 at 12:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 09:07 AM   #7
jbinbi
Private First Class
Rep

Sorry, maybe I didn't make myself clear. They had the water pump, you can get those within 20 minutes if you don't have them. They didn't have the rear cover, which I knew. That is not what I am complaining about.

They didn't get to my car because they were too busy. They made the appointment on Monday for Friday. They knew it would take 4 to 5 hours to fix it. It wasn't me who suggested Friday, it was them. Then on Fri an hour before they close they tell me that they haven't even looked at my car yet.

If they knew they were overbooked on Friday, instead of calling me on Thu to confirm, why not call me to re book?

I was told when I made the appt I would get my car back that day. I wanted to haul some stuff over the weekend. I did have a loaner car, but not a SUV. Couldn't fit that stuff.

Look, I know it is not the end of the world, was just a PITA, but the attitude of the dealer was like, 'meh', you are just one of the many hordes that we can do a mediocre job for and since we are the closest dealer, we get lots of business.

I would like to have brought the car to the dealer who I purchased from, but they are 50mi away, and with a broken water pump, my car would not have made it there. Guess I should have just used a local mechanic, but didn't know if they could read the codes from the car to determine it was a water pump vs water pump and thermostat, etc.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41904.00
      11-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #8
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
jbinbi-

Thanks for the additional explanation of your frustrations.

Did you make clear to the SA when you brought in the car that you needed your X3 back no later than end of business on Friday? I make a point of telling the SA upfront if I need my X3 back by a specified time to avoid disrupting my plans and BMW will have a very unhappy customer respond to their customer satisfaction survey if they fail to deliver on time. If you did not do so, the SA may assume you like many customers will be content to keep the loaner for another day.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 07:32 PM   #9
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Seems you have nothing to complain about you have a loaner. I had taken a car into BMW dealer body shop and they said 3 to 5 weeks after 2 1/2 month it wasn't close to being finished,. Insurance only pays for 1 month of rental car. They would never work on it. Refused to give me a loaner. I would have towed it to another body shop but it was in no state to be towed. The only reason it go repaired was me complaining to the owner.
Appreciate 0