BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-05-2011, 01:59 AM   #155
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509trooper View Post
I just ordered $180 worth of crap from auto geek.
- I also had a recent large expenditure at a UK equivalent (www.cleanyoucar.co.uk for any interested UK based members)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers

Last edited by sfax; 07-05-2011 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: bad link
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 06:03 AM   #156
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post
Are our rims aluminum?
No, they are painted alloy wheels. The BMW wheel paint is pretty good and durable, but I highly recommend waxing/sealing them regularly. Also, avoid using harsh cleaning products on them, and don't use abraisive cleaning tools. If you keep a coat or two of wax on the wheels, they are easily cleaned with the car wash soap and a dedicated wash mitt (the "old mitt" get rotated into this purpose).

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 07:15 AM   #157
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

^What wax/seal would you recommend, LEDZEP?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 07:44 AM   #158
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
First rule: Anything is better than nothing.

Some folks use "wheel wax" but I have not seen any real benefit over a good quality wax or sealant. I use the same product I wax the paint with. I like Griot's Garage Paint Sealant a lot. It is good protection, and very durable. You can also use something easy like Turtle Wax Ice - it is a clear liquid that goes on easy, buffs off easy, and gives good protection. Not as durable, so applications have to be more frequent. What I DO like about Ice is that you can use it on nearly any surface with no wax residue.

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 05:14 PM   #159
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I like rule #1.
      07-06-2011, 12:58 AM   #160
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509trooper View Post
I just ordered $180 worth of crap from auto geek.
- I also had a recent large expenditure at a UK equivalent (www.cleanyoucar.co.uk for any interested UK based members)
I have used this website and they are very good.

I ordered finish kare 1000p sealant and this is excellent. A couple of coats of this and the water just runs off. Used on the wheel too and brake dust very easily wipes off with a damp cloth.

I also went for the BMW seal and protect but I have noticed a massive improvement to the protection using this stuff. Highly recommended.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 01:39 AM   #161
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Daddy-O View Post
I have used this website and they are very good.

I ordered finish kare 1000p sealant and this is excellent. A couple of coats of this and the water just runs off. Used on the wheel too and brake dust very easily wipes off with a damp cloth.

I also went for the BMW seal and protect but I have noticed a massive improvement to the protection using this stuff. Highly recommended.
Was it you who originally posted this site? Meant to say thanks but couldn't find the post.

Might try this 1000p on the wheels. Mine are a nightmare and I'm not sure poorboys has helped much but difficult to know how bad they would get without (no control!)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 03:29 AM   #162
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

[QUOTE=sfax;9961834]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Daddy-O View Post

Was it you who originally posted this site? Meant to say thanks but couldn't find the post.

Might try this 1000p on the wheels. Mine are a nightmare and I'm not sure poorboys has helped much but difficult to know how bad they would get without (no control!)
Yes it was. No problems.

I would definitely use it on the wheels. It produced a good result after one coat but an excellent result after two. Makes me wonder whether seal and protect is worthwhile (although I suppose that does give some protection to the interior too).
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #163
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
First rule: Anything is better than nothing.

Some folks use "wheel wax" but I have not seen any real benefit over a good quality wax or sealant. I use the same product I wax the paint with. I like Griot's Garage Paint Sealant a lot. It is good protection, and very durable. You can also use something easy like Turtle Wax Ice - it is a clear liquid that goes on easy, buffs off easy, and gives good protection. Not as durable, so applications have to be more frequent. What I DO like about Ice is that you can use it on nearly any surface with no wax residue.
Would you recommend using something like a dedicated sealant as such:

http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-ext...m-sealant.html
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 05:10 PM   #164
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post
Would you recommend using something like a dedicated sealant as such:

http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-ext...m-sealant.html
I'm not familiar with that specific sealant, but it won't hurt them. Reading about it, it seems similar to Turtle Wax Ice. Personally, I like to use a real or traditional sealant or wax and then apply something like this over it.

I think it would do nicely, but the longevity will be the question. Try it and let us know.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #165
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

So what do you guys use for removing splattered bugs?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #166
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Cats.
      07-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #167
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm not familiar with that specific sealant, but it won't hurt them. Reading about it, it seems similar to Turtle Wax Ice. Personally, I like to use a real or traditional sealant or wax and then apply something like this over it.

I think it would do nicely, but the longevity will be the question. Try it and let us know.
Ordered some today and definitely will provide you feedback after I apply the product.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #168
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Cats.
I tried rubbing a cat on the bumper, but now have fur stuck to the bug juice.
My neighbor's pissed!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #169
509trooper
Staff Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
My neighbor's pissed!
Is you neighbor pissed because you tried this on his car or because you used his cat?
      07-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #170
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My neighbor's pissed!
It works much better if the car is traveling about 45 MPH when the cat makes contact with the bumper.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #171
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So what do you guys use for removing splattered bugs?
But seriously...

There are several products out there that can help with this. If you live in areas prone to suicidal insects that love to chase headlights (or DRLs) then you need some solution.

Try to address this daily. The longer they dry and harden on the finish, the more difficult to remove. Because I have a long commute and mostly highway, I accumulate my fair share every day. The worst by far is the shoulder seasons when my drive home is at dusk, yet still warm enough for the bugs to be out folicking.

Being a Griot's Garage product user, I have two of their products that are employed regularly for this: Speed Shine and Griot's Car Wash. The latter is intended to be used without water - it is a spray-on, wipe-off use. I use only very soft micro-fiber towels, and liberal amounts of the product. It can take two or three passes to get them, but they come off without any harm to your paint or wax. Again, the key is get them ASAP.

Keeping a good coat of wax on the front end and mirrors helps also, as they are less "stuck" than to just paint.

There are also some products you can get that you apply (spray) and let dry when the car is clean. These create a barrier that washes off easily and takes the bug spatter with it. Still some elbow grease involved, but much easier. I often do this before a long trip.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #172
turbotoy4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 Porsche Macan ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2020 BMW  [0.00]
I have a question regarding how long to wait after I receive my X3 to apply wax. If this was covered in this thread please excuse me because I missed it. Is it ok to was right away or should we wait 4-5 weeks? I understand the new paint is baked on and requires less time to cure. My concern is waxing may inhibit the final curing process.

I also appreciate all the helpful tips in this thread and on this site. I should receive my Space Gray around the 1st of August, so just planning ahead..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 05:14 AM   #173
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Okay, this is a bit off topic, but I noticed while detailing so I thought I'd check with y'all here.

How much movement does the "nose" of your vehicle have? The point below the emblem, between the kidney grills, and just above a horizontal opening?

Hadn't notice it the last times washing, but this time as I finished up I noticed it moved in quite easily about an inch. Was it that way before and I didn't notice? Or has something come apart in there?
      07-11-2011, 06:28 AM   #174
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotoy4me View Post
I have a question regarding how long to wait after I receive my X3 to apply wax. If this was covered in this thread please excuse me because I missed it. Is it ok to was right away or should we wait 4-5 weeks? I understand the new paint is baked on and requires less time to cure. My concern is waxing may inhibit the final curing process.

I also appreciate all the helpful tips in this thread and on this site. I should receive my Space Gray around the 1st of August, so just planning ahead..
You should wax right away, after a very good wash.

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 06:30 AM   #175
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Okay, this is a bit off topic, but I noticed while detailing so I thought I'd check with y'all here.

How much movement does the "nose" of your vehicle have? The point below the emblem, between the kidney grills, and just above a horizontal opening?

Hadn't notice it the last times washing, but this time as I finished up I noticed it moved in quite easily about an inch. Was it that way before and I didn't notice? Or has something come apart in there?
No way you should have that much play in any body part.

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #176
jt2
Annoyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
You should wax right away, after a very good wash.
Absolutely agree. Both my X3, and my wife's one year old 335 were both dive-bombed by the same flock of birds when they sat side-by side in the driveway.

The 335 has been recently waxed, and I haven't gotten to the X3 yet.

Quick detailer took the bird poop right off the 335 without any evidence whatsoever but I now have a couple of etched spots on the X3 to deal with.

Fortunately, they're not that bad since I got to them pretty quickly, but it does underscore how having a coat of wax on the car can save you damage on the finish.
Appreciate 0