BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #199
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Got to say I am very impressed again with Zaino All In One. I didn't have much time with the sun going down at 4pm but managed to get a coat of Zaino on and add some Poorboys wheel sealant and despite being a slightly rushed job, the end result is good. It was 2C, I got wet feet and they took some warming up!

Rubbish iPhone pics - sorry

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #200
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Why do you need sealant after coat of Zaino All in One? I have no experience in waxing and sealing though I have ordered Zaino All in One and try it by myself on my X3. Do you think it may not be necessary to remove any original wax of the car and I can directly have one coat of Zaino AIO?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #201
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokbhargava View Post
Why do you need sealant after coat of Zaino All in One? I have no experience in waxing and sealing though I have ordered Zaino All in One and try it by myself on my X3. Do you think it may not be necessary to remove any original wax of the car and I can directly have one coat of Zaino AIO?
It effectively acts as a second coat and on the wheels 2 or 3 coats is a good idea. The zaino is my substitute for polishing the wheels before applying the sealant. You won't stop the brake dust getting on them but it is easier to keep them clean afterwards if they get a regular wash with a wheel cleaner.

Re. removing wax first, there are some posts about using a specific product to do this on this thread but if you didn't pay for any wax/protectant to be applied post delivery you don't need to do anything other than wash and dry first

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 03:06 AM   #202
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

Just be careful not to put sealant on top of wax. Correct order is:

cleanse (if necessary) -> seal paintwork -> wax
      01-22-2012, 03:53 AM   #203
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post

... but if you didn't pay for any wax/protectant to be applied post delivery you don't need to do anything other than wash and dry first
Yes, I didn't pay for any waxing or sealing post delivery, so is it safe to assume that my X3 has no coat of any wax? If this is true, I will first check if I need to clay my car and then will proceed for washing , drying and z-AIO application followed with Z-CS. I do not like super glossy and wet finish, so will not go for other coats of Z2/Z5.....

Does this sound OK?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 05:03 AM   #204
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I didn't pay for any waxing or sealing post delivery, so is it safe to assume that my X3 has no coat of any wax? If this is true, I will first check if I need to clay my car and then will proceed for washing , drying and z-AIO application followed with Z-CS. I do not like super glossy and wet finish, so will not go for other coats of Z2/Z5.....

Does this sound OK?
To be honest, I'm not an expert and a lot of this is new to me. Other contributors to this thread like LedZep know a lot more than I do. I think the car is painted and treated but it isn't waxed so you are OK to add wax without trying to remove any first but other readers feel free to correct me

I found the guides on this site pretty useful. Even basic stuff like two buckets of water for washing and washing the wheels and most dirty parts first and then using fresh water for the rest. A wheel brush is a must have too for most alloys and it's handy for cleaning your wash mitt so that you don't pick up grit and then scratch the paintwork.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/

Re. claying, you shouldn't need to do this yet because it's mostly about removing contaminates that won't be there until you've exposed the car to the elements for a while. Claying is excellent though and I couldn't believe the amount of stuff it picks up. Recommended 1-2 a year if you have the time

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #205
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:

Does this sound OK?
Some dealers do a fast prep and polish before the car is delivered. Why take a chance? You have to wash the car before polishing/waxing anyway. Pickup a bottle of "Dawn" dishwashing soap, which is an effective polish remover, and wash the car with that before polishing/waxing. Sealants are designed to bond with the paint/clear coat, so a clean surface is important. To determine if the car needs claying, google "claying and plastic bag". Remember, claying will remove old wax too.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #206
Brutus1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 -Alpine white

I need some help. Klasse wax and then the Klasse High Gloss sealant was applied to my 2011 Alpine White X3 and to the black trim as well. The instructions on the container stated it was safe for plastic,vinyl etc. which should have caused no problems. Now the black trim looks horrible with a white haze and it was applied a number of weeks ago. How can I get this off or remedy the situation? Will it wear off? HELP!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #207
litt
Private
Rep
Drives: Raptor, Macan S, M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1 View Post
I need some help. Klasse wax and then the Klasse High Gloss sealant was applied to my 2011 Alpine White X3 and to the black trim as well. The instructions on the container stated it was safe for plastic,vinyl etc. which should have caused no problems. Now the black trim looks horrible with a white haze and it was applied a number of weeks ago. How can I get this off or remedy the situation? Will it wear off? HELP!
I believe this means you never got the HGSG off. That stuff has to be applied extremely thin or it is a nightmare to get off. At any rate, you may want to go over to the e90 detailing forums. There is a sticky thread there where you can ask a professional detailer and they are extremely helpful with this kind of stuff. I use the HGSG also and haven't had an issue with putting it on the trim. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #208
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
See PM I sent to you.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 04:26 AM   #209
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

I used clay on my car this weekend. First time I have ever done this process and I am astounded by the result. It leaves the paintwork so slick and glass like smooth.

A quick seal and a couple of costs of wax and it is better then when it left the show room. A couple of pics will be added soon when I have done the wheels.

If you have never done this, but care at least a little about your car then go and buy some.

I did the whole process in 4 hours and it is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #210
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Daddy-O View Post
I used clay on my car this weekend. First time I have ever done this process and I am astounded by the result. It leaves the paintwork so slick and glass like smooth.

A quick seal and a couple of costs of wax and it is better then when it left the show room. A couple of pics will be added soon when I have done the wheels.

If you have never done this, but care at least a little about your car then go and buy some.

What spec clay did you use? I am in your boat (never done it before) but with the weather turning and some new wheels arriving soon I am all up for it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #211
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank531
Quote:

What spec clay did you use? I am in your boat (never done it before) but with the weather turning and some new wheels arriving soon I am all up for it.
I used meguiars smooth surface clay kit. A lot more straight forward to use than I expected and removed a lot of dirt, tar spots etc. Came with plenty of detailing spray to use as lubricant, 2 clay bars (I used just one), a large and very soft micro fibre cloth and a sample bottle of wax (didn't use this). Highly recommended.

My wife, who thinks I am a bit mad the amount of time I spend messing with my car now wants me to do her car!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #212
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I used meguiars smooth surface clay kit. A lot more straight forward to use than I expected and removed a lot of dirt, tar spots etc. Came with plenty of detailing spray to use as lubricant, 2 clay bars (I used just one), a large and very soft micro fibre cloth and a sample bottle of wax (didn't use this). Highly recommended.

My wife, who thinks I am a bit mad the amount of time I spend messing with my car now wants me to do her car!
+1 on Meguiars clay + detailing spray and the impressive results. I've clayed mine twice now. First was a trial run but second had a bigger impact. I get a lot of grief from the wife along the lines of "have you still not finished???" but it's only twice a year and highly recommended if you have the time

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #213
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
+1 on Meguiars clay + detailing spray and the impressive results. I've clayed mine twice now. First was a trial run but second had a bigger impact. I get a lot of grief from the wife along the lines of "have you still not finished???" but it's only twice a year and highly recommended if you have the time
Looks like it worth a try.....
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #214
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Bought a foam gun last week and used it with some megs gold class and it cuts my wash time in half - love it!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #215
electricjet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 & F25

Garage List
Arrow ... detailing ...

... greetings gents ... had many sleepless nights reading and re-reading excellent posts from forum members regarding detailing ... it finally got so overwhelming that i took it to paper ... maybe some of you will have use for this:

Automobile Detail – Schedule – Products – Detailing Reference / Vendors
Products used and listed have been compiled by recommendation and personal use
This list will eventually be narrowed down to just a few product lines

- Following work flows have been compiled with help of professional detailers and information furnished by vendors and BMW forum members

Format of document:
- Work flow
- Schedule
- Products
- Pads
- Recommendations

Websites for products, “how to’s”, etc.

www.detailedimage.com Greg
www.chemicalguys.com George
www.detailersdomain.com Phil
http://shop.unitersna.com/collections/leather-master
www.amazon.com

www.enviousautodetailing.com Eric Schuster
www.toddcooperider.com Todd Cooperider
www.detailbyvinny.com

Detailing Guide:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/

Experience at its best: A MUST READ
http://togwt1980.blogspot.com/

http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...l?daysprune=45

Wheel Well:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...ys-bare-bones/

Exhaust polishing:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...polish+exhaust

Wheel Surface cleaning:
http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...-cleaning.html

Detailing Schedule

April - Complete detail - Wash / Dry -> Clay -> Polish -> Sealant -> Wax

May - Wash -> Wax

June - Wash -> Wax

July - Mini detail - Wash -> Assess for polishing -> Sealant -> Wax

August - Wash -> Wax

September - Wash -> Wax

October - Thorough detail – Wash -> Clay -> Polish if needed -> Sealant -> Wax

November - Wash -> Wax

December - Wash -> Wax

January - Mini detail - Wash -> Assess for polishing -> Sealant -> Wax

February - Wash -> Wax

March - Wash -> Wax

April - Repeat Routine

I usually wash once every 2 weeks

STEP 1 - Rinse

Rinse entire automobile with water

STEP 2 - Tiers & Wheels & Wheel-wells

Products:
Tires: TUF SHINE Tire Cleaner (initial thorough cleaning before applying TUF SHINE Sealant)

Wheels: If wheels are not severe dirty use any ph neutral cleaner or soap

Chemical Guys Diablo Gel Wheel & Rim Cleaner
SONAX Wheel Cleaner (severe brake dust accumulation)
BMW Wheel Gel
P21S Wheel Gel
Meguiar’s Wheel Cleaner

Wheel-wells:
Cleaner: Chemical Guys Grim Reaper A.P.C.
Meguiar’s All Purpose Cleaner D103
Greased Lightning
P21S Total Auto Wash

Tools: E-Z Detailing Brushes (regular & mini size)
Lug Nut brush
Long handle brush for wheel wells

STEP 3 - Wash:

Products:
Soap: FOAM GUN: Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II or Honeydew (used with Gilmour Foam Gun)
For maintenance wash:
Fill foam fun canister with soap and use setting A (1oz to 1 gal) for more “snow” use setting D
1 cap to 1 gallon water
FOLLOWED BY:
HANDWASH: Chemical Guys Glossworkz (used for wash with 2 bucket method and wash mitt)
For maintenance wash:
1 oz to 4-5 gallons water

Chemical Guys Citruswash & Gloss (used for wash with 2 bucket method and wash mitt)
For Sealant & Wax removal:
1 oz to 1 gallon water

For Grime, Bug removal:
P21S Total Auto Wash (100% or 50/50)

Tools: Gilmour Foam Master II
Grit Guard with 2 buckets (wash – rinse)
Sheep-skin wash mitt for top portion of automobile
Micro fiber wash mitt for lower portion of automobile
Microfiber waffle towel for drying

STEP 4 - Surface Preparation - Clay Bar:

Products: CarPro Iron X Iron remover
Aquarx Iron Cut
Chemical Guys Lite Clay Bar (blue)
Chemical Guys Lubber (lubricant)
Meguiar’s Mild Detailing Clay
Meguiar’s Quick Detailer (lubricant)
ONR Wash (lubricant)

STEP 5 - Wash - Dry:

Wash - see Step 3

Tools: Microfiber waffle towel
Electric blower (do not use gas powered unit)

STEP 6 - Tires & Wheels & Wheel-wells dressing:

Products:
Tires: Dry tires completely before applying sealant

TUF SHINE Tire Sealant
Chemical Guys G6 Hyper Coat (use only if ambient temperatures are 70+)

Wheels: Chemical Guys Wheel Guard Wheel Wax
Poorboys World Wheel Wax
Swissvax Autobahn

Wheel wells:
Dressing: Chemical Guys Black to Black
Chemical Guys Bare Bones Under Carriage Spray (requires wipe down after application)

Tools: Foam applicator
Cotton Terry Towel for wipe down

STEP 7 - Taping of Trim and Emblems:

Products: Meguiar’s Detailing Tape (0.75”)
Painters Blue Tape or Green Frog Tape

STEP 8 - Polishing:

Products:
Menzerna SF4000 106FA (2500 grit)
Menzerna SF 4500 85RD (3000 grit)
Menzerna SI 1500 83 (2500 grit)
Chemical Guys V38 use with CG black pad
Chemical Guys P40 use with CG green or white pad
Meguiar’s 205 (2500 grit) use LC white pad

Polishing Pads: use 4” for more control or 5.5” for larger surfaces

Lake Country: Orange 5.5” Green 5.5” White 4” (light cut) Black 4” (finishing) Blue 4” (polishing)

Chemical Guys: Green 5.5” (medium polish) White 5.5” (light polish) Black 5.5” (finishing) Blue 5.5” (polishing) Red 5.5” (Sealant)
Meguiar’s: W8006 6” (polishing) W9006 6“ (finishing)

Tools: Porter Cable Orbital Polisher/Buffer
Flex

STEP 9 – Wipe down:

Products: Isopropyl Alcohol
Use 90% IPA at 1 part to 10 parts distilled water
Menzerna Top Inspection

STEP 10 - Sealant:

Products: Blackfire Wet Diamond Polymer Sealant - apply with LC blue pad
Menzerna Polymer Sealant (black pad)
Chemical Guys Black Light - apply by hand
Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 - apply by hand

Tools: Red or Yellow foam applicator (hand) or blue with PC

STEP 11 - Waxing:

Products:
Chemical Guys 50/50 – apply by hand
Swissvax Glacier (used for white paint) – apply by hand
DoDo Juice White Diamond Hard Wax

Tools: Lake Country red foam applicator

STEP 12 - Final Wipe Down:

Products: Chemical Guys V7

EXTERIOR TRIM:

Products:

Cleaner: Meguiar’s All Purpose Cleaner D103
P21S TAW
Leatherique Prestine Clean (use on soft and rubber trim)

Protection:
Plastic Trim: Chemical Guys Black to Black

Rubber Trim: Einszett Gummi Pflege Stift
Meguiar’s Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner

Residue on rubber and plastic trim: Use Meguiar’s All Purpose Cleaner D103 or greased Lightning with a Tooth brush

INTERIOR DETAIL:

Products:

Leather: Keep in mind you are working with the protective layer of the leather and not with the leather itself!

Leather Master Universal Cleaner
(Leather Care Universal Cleaner)
(Leather Care Vital) used on older leather
Leather Care Protective Cream
http://shop.unitersna.com/collections/leather-master

Swissvax Leather Cleaner
Swissvax Leather Milk

Leatherique Prestine Clean (used on older/worn leathers)
Leatherique Rejuvenator

Trim:
Cleaner: Meguiar’s Interior Quick Detailer
For Fabric:
303 Fabric & Vinyl Cleaner

Protectant: 303 Aerospace Protectant

Carpet:
Cleaner: 303 Fabric & Vinyl Cleaner
Protectant: 303 High Tech Fabric Guard
Scotch Guard

Glass: Stoner Invisible Glass
ENGINE BAY:

Products:
Cleaner: Chemical Guys Grim Reaper A.P.C.
P21S TAW
Meguiar’s Super Degreaser D108
Greased Lightning

Dressing: 303 Aerospace Protectant

Plastic Trim: Chemical Guys Back to Black

Have I gone nuts? Yup ... just about to get kicked out of the house
      02-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #216
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post
Bought a foam gun last week and used it with some megs gold class and it cuts my wash time in half - love it!
I want one of these. I currently have a Heath Robinson contraption that doesn't work very well but helps a little.

Also considering a water filter for quick wash and dry without leaving water marks

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #217
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

@electricjet

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #218
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Hey Brutus I have the same problem with wax getting on the black plastic trim, it looks horrible! I read on another forum some remedies that include trying to remove it with everything from rubbing alcohol to peanut butter but none of them worked. What did finally work was a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, I suggest you try it out because it was able to remove wax that was stuck on the plastic trim from 6-9 months ago.

I too have a alpine white X3 and wish I waited for the m-sport version to come out, that way I wouldn't have this issue with waxing.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #219
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Quote:
I want one of these. I currently have a Heath Robinson contraption that doesn't work very well but helps a little.

Also considering a water filter for quick wash and dry without leaving water marks
This is what I have

http://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-75QGFM.../dp/B000XTH1GY
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 04:54 AM   #220
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

For UK owners, Halfords have buy one get one free on all car cleaning chemicals until Monday. Just picked up some Autoglym HD wax and some more clay bars and lubricant

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...5731_langId_-1

Shame about the hosepipe ban though

Appreciate 0