BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
Marmik
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 35i titanium & black

Imagining the demand for X3s

It's natural to think everyone else wants what you want, right? That's how it works in real estate, a place sits on the market for months but once you get interested you are SURE the next person is too. It's human nature, good sales people know the excited customer sells himself. All of us on this forum are sold on the new X3 and therefore pretty sure there is overwhelming demand. But I'm not so sure. I ordered my X3 on April 14 and it will arrive at the dealership on May 9th - 26 days! This is impressive, and I'm happy, but it argues against overwhelming demand. And that's understandable because it's still early in the US X3 rollout. You don't see them on the road yet. I haven't seen even one and I've been looking. Once people start seeing this car around town THAT's when the demand will pop. I don't think we are there yet. What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmik View Post
It's natural to think everyone else wants what you want, right? That's how it works in real estate, a place sits on the market for months but once you get interested you are SURE the next person is too. It's human nature, good sales people know the excited customer sells himself. All of us on this forum are sold on the new X3 and therefore pretty sure there is overwhelming demand. But I'm not so sure. I ordered my X3 on April 14 and it will arrive at the dealership on May 9th - 26 days! This is impressive, and I'm happy, but it argues against overwhelming demand. And that's understandable because it's still early in the US X3 rollout. You don't see them on the road yet. I haven't seen even one and I've been looking. Once people start seeing this car around town THAT's when the demand will pop. I don't think we are there yet. What do you think?
I think you were lucky and your dealer had a production slot/allotment available for your car. Not all dealers do now, so some will wait much longer.
      05-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
I think you were lucky and your dealer had a production slot/allotment available for your car. Not all dealers do now, so some will wait much longer.
Especially in Europe!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

If you search "BMW" on google news, you'll learn that the X3 is actually in high demand.

BMW reports a 65% increase in overall SAV sales since the release of the X3 at the beginning of fiscal Q1, and a 257% increase in the number of X3s sold in Q1 2011 versus the number of the previous model year sales in Q1 2010.

Don't worry, you're just lucky and thinking there must be a catch.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

I think you got lucky too. According to a CA who's father owned a dealership and has 30+ years working with BMW, the demand is HUGE! Especially the overseas demand. She told me that BMW prefers to ship overseas because their profit margins are much higher and I would image even more so with the weakness in the dollar. Production probably started a little slow in the beginning to get the kinks out, but now they are running two shifts and probably at full speed. Oh yeah, I don't think BMW has too many good sales people.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
silverforumsurf
Private
Rep
Drives: To Buy

Check out the days on lot!

http://www.newcars.com/bmw/x3
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
jt2
Annoyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

A few weeks ago, not one dealer in my area had one in stock. That is either high demand, or short supply.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
Max1Factor
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20i M Sport

Demand is overwhelming - no debate from my perspective. Compounded up to now by inadequate production capacity to satisfy more than just the US market. BMW appear comfortable that they could keep the plant at capacity by providing a just in time service to US customers. It doesnt feel like BMW want to ship overseas although sounds like you're starting to see allocation dry up.

NOT a dig at you lucky guys at all (it's your turn to run the factory) and I'm sure its more complicated. I've waited 3 months, only another 4 to go. And yes when there are more seen on the roads I'd like to think others will want the same.

Max3
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #9
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Demand here is very high.

If I didn’t order the day I did, I would have had to wait a couple of extra months due to dealer allocation. The only way I was able to test drive one was at the X3 event. My dealer can’t keep a demo in stock. He could have sold a lot more if they had a demo and could get more X3’s in a reasonable amount of time. This is very unusual around these parts.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #10
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

UK dealers are now taking orders for delivery in February/March next year. Seems like demand is outstripping supply to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #11
jlr_1304
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: none

In motreal region, almost everything was presold in jan-feb. I got mine for june as they ordered 5 for inventory, way before i got to the dealer. On friday april 15, there were 5 that i could choose from as the status still permitted it. I waited on monday and only 2 were available. Next slot was for late july.
Appreciate 0