BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
StylingKurt
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 28i

DRIVETRAIN MALFUNCTION ERROR - Cold Weather Related?

I purchased a new 2014 28i in mid-November, in Saskatoon, SK, Canada. Four days into ownership, I got a "Drivetrain Malfunction Error" accompanying a very hard/rough start. Limped it to the dealership and they were unable to source the problem. It seemed the error went away on its own.

In any event, since then this error has shown at least a dozen times, and twice the vehicle wouldn't start. Subsequent visits to the dealership have identified a power distribution module as being the issue. Replacement of the module "fixes" the problem temporarily. Apparently, the core issue is that water will get into the module, and once it freezes, it causes the unit to fail. An attempt by the dealer to fabricate a cover to prevent water entry was also not successful in stopping the fault from reoccurring.

The dealer is pointing to cold weather (<-20 C) as contributing to the problem. They also say that this is not limited to my vehicle, but that BMW is seeing this problem on all X3s in cold climates. However, due to the lack of posts on this topic (especially considering the cold we've had across Canada and the northern US in the last month) I'm a bit skeptical on this point.

Has anyone else been experiencing this issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #2
Pitiful Old Man
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Just a totally off-the-wall WAG, could your problem be water in the gas? Addition of a bottle of Heet or other similar additive would be an inexpensive test.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #3
Gouda
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
We have not had any cold weather issues like what you describe. So far it starts and runs fine. I also would be suspect of the fuel. The next few says will be a real test the way it sounds. I wish BMW offered a engine heater, it might not be needed often, but they reduce the stress on the engine quit a bit IMHO. Especially when the temp stays below 0F for 3 or 4 days.

08 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited for the OHV park.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
groovyone789
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 xdrive40i

I had this issue about a week ago. It was about 35 degrees F outside and the malfunction came on. I stopped and restarted the car, sat still for a couple of minutes, and it went away. That was the first and only time I saw it (I have a 2013 X3 28i with ~19,000 miles).

I haven't had this issue since. Also been driving around in 30-35 degrees the last couple of days.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #5
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

I had the same issue when it was -25C a couple days ago, but it went away after.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #6
tangbb6
Rep
Drives: 2014 x3 28i Msport

I live in Edmonton, AB and own a 2011 x3 28i. I've seen a fair share of problems since the weather dips below -20C, including:
  • battery drain issues (not starting the car for 2 days in a row)
  • orange screen of death on iDrive display
  • drivetrain malfunction

All seems to disappear after restarting the car. Never came back again.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #7
stulove
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i,2005 330ci ZHP

My 2013 x3 35i is in the Saskatoon dealer now.They have had it for more than three weeks.It was taken there twice for this problem.They won't realease it and inform me that this is happening where we have extreme cold weather (Saskatoon,Winnipeg,Regina).I have been informed that they are waiting for a part from Germany as the power control modules here will just incur the same problem.They are right as mine was replaced already and didn't last 100 miles before the problem re-occured.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 07:04 PM   #8
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

DrewBert had problem. Nice ending, fixed and he kindly provided timely update.
Worth a look.

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=922364

Last edited by barcelona; 01-05-2014 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: Note for X5
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #9
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

I have a 2013 xDrive35i and we've been having a really cold month in Montréal including many days below -25C. I've had zero problems running the vehicle around. I have the good fortune of keeping the car inside a garage so it may help by keeping it warmer for a longer period of time.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #10
darcyb62
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 x3 28i

I have my x3 in today getting the PDM replaced for the 2nd time. The dealer told me that BMW is working on a permanent fix and that they will contact me when available.

It's definitely cold weather related. The 1st occurrence was before Christmas when the temps went down to sub -30C. It happened again on the weekend with temp at -37C.

The problems occur after the vehicle has warmed up then been allowed to sit for a bit in the extreme cold. The 1st time it occurred I was unable to start the car. I caled for a tow and was told that it would be a couple of hours. After about 30 minutes of waiting I thought I would give it a try and the car started but the Drivetrain Malfunction stayed. I shut off the car and tried again after 15 minutes and every was fine.

They've explained the problem as follows: the PDM has a breather on it and with the cold weather it's been allowing condensation to build inside. When the car is cold the condensation is frozen and has no impact on the system. As it warms the condensation melts and that is when you have problems. When the engine area gets cold enough for the moisture to freeze again all is fine.

It's really been annoying but it looks like they've narrowed down the problem and a true fix is close at hand and I think the dealer has handled this very well.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 09:57 PM   #11
northX3
Private
Canada
Rep

Hello

I'm living in Quebec, so we got -30 Celsius temps also for the last two weeks.

I had the same exact problem with my 2011 X3 35i... same warning, same weather, same car symptoms...

The dealer told me they changed the "main relay" (is this the PDM ?) and the car came back to life after an hour or so. They also told me the problem was caused by the car warming up in cold temps, and then freezing when the engine is stopped.

There's a fix coming ? They didn't tell me. At first, they thought the battery was dead and tried to charge it for an hour (it didn't work, the battery was fine). Anyway, not the first time the local stealership doesn't get it right on the first time with my car...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 11:34 PM   #12
eROCK
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28i

Garage List
Unhappy Drivetrain Malfunction!

Hello, I just got the dreaded Drivetrain Malfunction error and engine wouldn't turn over. Battery/starter was cranking, but engine just wouldn't turn. I'm in Chicago, and it's -14 F today, so I figured it was weather related. After turning the car on and off a few times, the alarm cleared and car started up.
If you google "BMW drivetrain malfunction", you'll see a bunch of people have had this problem (mostly 3 series cars, not just X3), and it's not all weather related. Many occur during the Summer, and have had issues like bad sensors, spark plugs, vanos solenoid...etc. I'm hoping it was just weather related, and won't happen again, but we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 05:14 AM   #13
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Cold climate here usually during winters, but so far I have had no issues. The car is outside at home and last winter we had -29 Celsius... this winter only -6 Celsius and now above zero degrees for many weeks.

I have 2.0 diesel and manual transmission.

And no issues with the cold weather. We live here "north of 60"
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 10:36 AM   #14
Tipsy McStagger
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i Msport AW

Cold weather is absolutely precipitating this error. We had it last year in January and it just resurfaced again for us with the recent cold snap. Four times in the last few days including yesterday. There are certainly other causes but cold is a factor. More accurately, this error will come up when the car is warmed up, turned off, then turned back on while still warm. If you wait until the engine cools back down, the problem disappears. The only decent hypothesis I've seen is the pdm condensation. Car warms up, frozen condensation inside the Pdm melts so when you go to start your car again, you get the error. Wait a few minutes for the condensation to freeze and it will start right up.

rodion - possible you aren't seeing the problem because you have a diesel. On the other hand, winters in many of the cities where posters in this thread reside are actually colder than winter in Helsinki. Minneapolis is quite a bit colder, in fact your winters are fairly comparable to Chicago or Toronto. We are all currently in the midst of a particularly cold streak with daytime highs of -20 to -25C and overnight wind chills approaching -60C in some areas of North America. Might well explain this recent rash of errors people are reporting.

I'll try to repeat the error in my driveway when I have time and if it's still cold enough (roughly -20C at 10:30 a.m.).

Last edited by Tipsy McStagger; 01-07-2014 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #15
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Yes, we have quite mild winter here now. And situation in North America is in the news here too. It is colder in Tallahassee Florida than here right now. Weird.

In Finnish forums I haven't seen problems like you are reporting. We have people driving with X3 north of Polar Circle. Though this year's extremecold was merely -38 Celsius.

I wonder if this issue is a problem with gasoline powered only.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #16
Tipsy McStagger
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i Msport AW

Must be the case, I can only assume pdm placement is different in the diesels if that is indeed the culprit.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #17
MrFargo13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i M-Sport/2011 328i

Everyone is ignoring the real problem here:

Global Warming!

Lol
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #18
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I got an interesting error message today after an extended engine crank-no start condition today.

My car sat for 15min then started.

-20c -->-36c with the windchill
Attached Images

01-07-2014, 03:44 PM   #19
darcyb62
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
I got an interesting error message today after an extended engine crank-no start condition today.

My car sat for 15min then started.

-20c -->-36c with the windchill
That's exactly what happened to me on the 21st/22nd of December.

On Sunday I just got the error message but it did start. The error condition went away after the car sat for about an hour.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #20
Bogiegolf
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5/2013 135is #562

Yes, I am having the drivetrain/chassis stabilization errors today and I had some sort of fuse block replaced 2 weeks ago.........in the shop now for a new battery.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #21
darcyb62
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Update.

So I brought me vehicle back in on Monday after having experienced a re-occurrence of the Drive Train malfunction error related to the PDM and they've decided to get me rental until the PDM issue has been resolved. I asked for a time frame for repair and it could be a couple of weeks.

I have to say that this, my 1st BMW experience, hasn't been the most positive. I haven't had it for a month yet and its in the shop twice. I look at my daughter who bought a new Kia Sportage a few months ago at nearly half the price of what I paid. She has a job where she puts on a lot of miles and at just over 10000 km she's only been in to get the oil changed. Hmmm...

I do think the dealership is doing a decent enough job for me though.

Darcy
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 12:48 PM   #22
StylingKurt
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 28i

At least I'm not alone

The experiences of the other cold weather drivers match mine very closely. The problem always occurred after a short drive and the vehicle was allowed to cool slightly prior to restarting. I appreciate the fuller explanation of the root cause as well.

My X3 is now also at the dealership, waiting for a permanent fix to come down the pipes from BMW. The frustration is that there is no clear timeline for this to happen. In the meantime, I've got a rental too.

I as well would have hoped for a better experience with my first BMW.
Appreciate 0