BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
Evogelpohl
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35

Largest USB key used for music?

I'm about to purchase the Kingston 64GB USB key for the center console port.

Anyone know of any limitations on the size of the USB stick or amount of music it can index?

I have the premium stereo upgrade if that matters.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I'm not aware of a limit on the size of index and I use a 32GB USB flash drive with no problems. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 64GB stick. Can't see it being a problem

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
ZipSpeed
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive35i

I would buy it from a place that would allow you to return or exchange the product if necessary.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
AughrimFurey
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

I was thinking about doing this, but decided against it. I purchased a 320gb external drive hooked up via USB, but it took forever to search for songs with such a large drive (it was basically searching the whole drive). I, then, partitioned the drive to have an 80gb "drive" to store the music. It was a bit quicker than searching the whole 320gb, but still took some time (about 5 seconds) to have the songs, artists, albums, etc show up when searching for a song. The fastest search time is hooked up via iPhone/iPod.

Also, I was finding out that certain songs would play fine through my iPhone hooked up via USB, but were "invalid" when I tried playing them on the USB drive (seems like they were corrupt or could not be read through the iDrive).

Another thing is that the song order of an album are alphabetical via USB drive, but are in order of track number via iPhone/iPod.

I am returning the USB drive and am going to use my 32gb iPhone for the time being. I am hoping the next iPhone comes with 64gb capacity so I can have my whole library with me.

I haven't tried a USB thumb drive. The flash memory on that may speed up the search time. Still, I would have to deal with certain songs being corrupt and the album order be alphabetical rather than by track number.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
shaderman
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M-Sport 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AughrimFurey View Post
I am returning the USB drive and am going to use my 32gb iPhone for the time being. I am hoping the next iPhone comes with 64gb capacity so I can have my whole library with me.
You could always just use an iPod classic - they have 160GB of storage.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
Itchywasabi
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

64GB works, it's the same storage system used for iphone and ipods.
But here's a trick. I did a full disk image copy of my ipod and copied the whole disc image to my USB drive. My X3 thinks its an ipod connected and works like a charm (playlist, album artworks, etc).
I have no time to give instructions on how to copy your ipod's disc image, just search it online. There are tons of ways to do it.

Last edited by Itchywasabi; 06-08-2011 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
AughrimFurey
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Thanks for the heads up on the disc image! I am going to give that a try tonight.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

There is more info on the pros and cons here

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...ht=usb+artwork

The alphabetical order bug is only when you import music and then play it from the Music Collection (rather than play it directly from the USB device)

Solid state flash drives or smaller iPods are obviously advantageous in a moving vehicle over large capacity USB drives or iPods.

I use a 32GB flash drive and I've not had any issues with corrupt data and the indexing is fast

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0