BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Whatcar 3.0d BMW X3 M Sport review

http://m.whatcar.com/;s=G3yCHhvzQSOo...-review/258196

Looks like they like the engine and concur there is a SE v M Sport dilemma.

What is it?
The BMW X3 is one of our favourite 4x4s: this is our first chance to sample new M Sport trim.

In traditional BMW fashion, the M Sport has a range of cosmetic changes over SE models, including a deeper front spoiler, beefier sills and 18-inch alloy wheels. There are interior upgrades and different suspension settings, too.

What's it like to drive?
The 30d version we drove has a 3.0-litre turbodiesel that pack a serious punch. With 255bhp and a mighty 413lb ft of torque, it feels fast and responsive no matter how many revs are on the dial.

It's impressively smooth, as is the standard eight-speed automatic gearbox it's mated to. If anything the engine's efficiency is even more impressive than its muscle. It returns 47.1mpg and emits just 159g/km of CO2, making it better on both counts than an Audi Q5 2.0 TDI, let alone the 3.0-litre.

Ordinarily, the extra £2375 you pay for M Sport trim also earns you firmer suspension settings, to give sportier handling to match the looks. However, this part of the package is deleted if you specify the £930 optional Variable Damper Control that our test car had.

VDC adjusts the firmness of the suspension according to your driving style, the condition of the road and whether you've selected Normal or Sport mode. It really works, too. Normal gives a slick ride and sharp body control, while Sport makes the X3 handle better than any 4x4 has a right to. It doesn't make life uncomfortable, either.

What's it like inside?
The sporty theme continues inside, where deeply bolstered sports seats and a darker headlining are the key upgrades to the SE's interior. As with any X3, the build quality and materials are top-notch.

Dual-zone climate control, front and rear parking sensors and automatic headlights and wipers also come as standard.

The cabin is also practical: there's plenty of space for four six-footers, although the transmission tunnel gets in the way of a central rear passenger's feet. The 550-litre boot is well shaped, and expands to 1600-litres when the 40/20/40 backrest is folded - the extended boot floor isn't quite flat though.

Should I buy one?

If you're in the market for a 5-seater 4x4, there's none better than the X3. The question is, SE or M Sport? If you specify your M Sport with VDC, you're effectively paying thousands for just a few styling tweaks - that's ridiculous. Also, until we've driven the M Sport on its standard suspension, we can't say whether it's worth recommending over the cheaper SE.

What Car? says...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3buyerScotland View Post
http://m.whatcar.com/;s=G3yCHhvzQSOo...-review/258196

Looks like they like the engine and concur there is a SE v M Sport dilemma.
Seems like they don't know but the firm suspension setting seem ok, so maybe this is equivalent to the M Sport suspension? I suppose M Sport gets you body changes, sports seats, a better steering wheel, variable sport steering, 18" wheels (with RFTs ), not sure if the SE gets Performance Control. I'm leasing mine, I found the M Sport costs little extra due to what they believe are higher residuals.
      07-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Personally I put virtually all the above (and more) on my SE as I did not fancy the body kit nor suspension - no point paying for the later then deleting it and at the time (and maybe still) the jury was out on VDC. Clearly the answer depends on your roads and tyres tho!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

I understood along with the cosmetic bits the 30d Msport came with performance control, servotronic steering and variable sport steering as standard over the SE? This is what the brochure states.

Sometimes I find these car testers clueless. The VDC changes the damping only.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Yep and I added all of them too! Except VDC. There has been speculation on other threads about why so many car mag review cars have VDC. Obviously helps sell the option. Also shows the car at it's best on bad roads especially with big low profile wheels which do give the car a very different side on appearance. With 17" wheels the space around the tyre to the wheel arch is surprisingly big - either a bit unsightly or ideal for mud / snow clearing depending on your viewpoint.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3buyerScotland View Post
With 17" wheels the space around the tyre to the wheel arch is surprisingly big - either a bit unsightly or ideal for mud / snow clearing depending on your viewpoint.
I don't get this X3buyer. Whilst there may well be the illusion of more space, I don't think this is actually the case. Tyres on the smaller rims have a wider sidewall. The only combo that seems to be significantly smaller is the 305 which has a one inch smaller diameter overall for some reason. Of course my math be out a bit!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
Bill S
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 30d N57 + E60 535d M57

If there were any difference in the outside circumference, the speedometer would misread
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
roders
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0D MSport F25

Dont forget M Package also gets you fully colour coded bumpers, so you dont have that black plastic look in the middle of your rear bumper
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 01:05 AM   #9
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Yep - Sfax described this issue on another thread. It may well be simply an optical illusion but for me it is pretty striking when standing next to the car. Not a show stopper but I would advise buyers to see a real car in the flesh pre-order in case this is an aesthetic issue for them. There is a huge personal expection / experience factor too - I am not used to seeing the top of my tyres due to low suspension & body kits on previous cars, so all change for me!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 03:01 AM   #10
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill S View Post
If there were any difference in the outside circumference, the speedometer would misread
Don't disagree but couldn't that easily be compensated for in software?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 07:41 AM   #11
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

I think the wheel arch reference will be due to the width of the 19" rubber - that's what will give the impression of 'filling the wheel arches'. Same for M-Sport, if was to buy an M-sport I would only do so with 19". the flared arches o tis model will also give the impression that the std 18" are 'not up to it' in terms of aesthetics.

I have stuck with std 17" on the basis of cost and fuel but I agree with the posts about the perception and looks
Appreciate 0