BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-07-2018, 11:29 PM   #1
chknlytle
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 35i M Sport

How do you adjust the hood?

I thought I could adjust the hood by turning down the two "stopper" things under the hood but I've turned both of them all the way down and this is the end result. Are there other things I need to adjust? Any tips?

-.-

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 04:37 PM   #2
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
mine looks the same way
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 10:35 PM   #3
chknlytle
Private
Rep

Sorry but I still can’t get over this. I just went through the pic thread of Alpine White’s and theirs definitely don’t have a gap as big as mine. Are there any differences in kidney grills with the LCI’s? Like maybe I have the wrong grills? Anybody else have any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 12:53 AM   #4
chknlytle
Private
Rep

Okay, so i went out to take a look again and noticed that when the hood is closed, the 3 black stoppers (circled in blue, top pic) are not sitting flush with the corresponding spaces near the grills (circled in blue, bottom pic). Instead, the black stoppers are touching the spots marked off in red. I'm assuming they're supposed to be resting in the position thats marked off in green.

Can anyone confirm this on their own car?

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 07:03 AM   #5
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i think bumper needs to be adjust it, check the headlights underneath.
i think the "thin tab raised" on bumper needs to go under the headlight.

Last edited by nyalpine90; 01-12-2018 at 07:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 01:27 AM   #6
chknlytle
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
i think bumper needs to be adjust it, check the headlights underneath.
i think the "thin tab raised" on bumper needs to go under the headlight.
Thanks nyalpine90 you were right. The bumper does need to be adjusted. I had someone pull up on the middle air dam part of the bumper and all of a sudden everything looked perfect and how it should.

Can anyone give me tips on removing the bumper? I saw the fender rivets on the side, the many little (8mm maybe?) bolts underneath, and even messed with the couple screws that hide beneath the weather moulding of the top side of the bumper. I saw a post where a member listed all the bolts/screws that were to be removed but I can't seem to find it. I just want to be prepared as possible since I've never removed a bumpe before.
Appreciate 1
nyalpine907423.50
      04-16-2018, 03:22 AM   #7
chknlytle
Private
Rep

UPDATE: I was able to close the gap with the help of a friend by removing the front bumper and carefully trying to figure out how it adjusts and what kind of damage had been done. (the car has been in an accident before, and guessing the bumper wasn't put on correctly.) We found a few broken pieces that look like/probably caused the misalignment and also found the support foam completely gone. Which is probably why I'm able to move the bumper up and down while grasping the middle vent area. I'll replace that in the near future. But what we did was we adjusted the plastic bracket that has the kidney grill shapes in them and moved them upward towards the hood. After some trial and error we were able to getting real close. Spec calls for 4.1mm, +1.8,-0.9 gap from the bottom of the center hood to the top of the bumper. I started at 8 and now am at 6mm. So I'm almost within the +1.8 threshold but I think replacing the bumper foam will resolve the issue. For now its good enough and a lot better from when I got it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1