BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-08-2011, 12:09 AM   #1
drtdvl
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan, X3 35i, Tacoma

Switching Inputs between IPod and Radio

When switching between my iPod and the radio (using the steering wheel controls), my X3 does not return to the default radio setting which is Presets. If my preset radio setting is on a FM station, it goes to FM radio. If i am on a satellite channel on my preset, it goes to satellite. I noticed this about a week ago when i was scrolling through my radio stations using the thumb wheel on the steering wheel.

When i check the radio setting on iDrive, it is checked off at Preset. I have to reclick Preset to get the radio to go to Preset.

I hope this is not too confusing. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 07:09 AM   #2
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Do you mean that when you switch "Mode" back from iPod it returns to the last radio station (of whatever type) you were listening to and that station was part of your presets list, but when you scroll the thumbwheel you're not in your presets list?

If I understood that right, that's confusing to me. Mine brings me back to the preset list (which is a mixture of FM and satellite stations). I don't recall any setting to make it do that. The only thing I can think to try is to navigate to radio through iDrive and make it display your presets list, then press some other button like Nav, and then switch modes from the steering wheel button -- though I think you're saying you already did that. Will take a look on my next drive and see if I can find anything.
      10-08-2011, 07:15 AM   #3
drtdvl
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan, X3 35i, Tacoma

Thanks Nahoa. That is exactly what is happening. I notice this happening after i start the car and also after playing one or two songs on my iPod. It's like the X3 doesnt remember the last setting for the radio input.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

I don't have this happening on my X3 but my previous 135 cab had this problem after about 2 years of driving. It just had no idea what the radio station was set at prior to me changing to the iPod via the mode button. They tried a ton of things to fix it. They had me give them both fob's, they changed the control unit, etc. They just couldn't fix it. I hope you have better luck.
Appreciate 0