BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #23
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsih View Post
Upgraded 19" Style 179 with non-standard rubber,
staggered: 19x8 F and 19x9 R
rubber: 245/45R19 F and 275/40R19 R

no rubbing - I was glad I went only 19" and slighty larger rubber
softened the ride a little, otherwise the sport suspension was a killer
also the above setup was very close match for the front & back outer diameter for the tires

see: http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684276
That looks incredible. Never saw the Aero kit before - and it's very aggressive looking! the 179's add a great touch to the car as well! need more rear shots
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #24
cleung
Private
Rep
Drives: 1997 Z3 1.9,2014 X1 28i xdrive

nice work with the plasti-dip, I have been pondering the idea for my winter setup as well.
1997 Z3 1.9
2014 X1 28i xdrive
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #25
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleung View Post
nice work with the plasti-dip, I have been pondering the idea for my winter setup as well.
$40... 4 cans, 4 wheels. You can probably even get away with 3 cans... I thought of it this way... at the worst, the plastidip will protect the wheels from the elements. If/When i get tired of the look, i can just peel it off and have a brand-new looking wheel Highly recommended
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #26
Goosey4370
Rep
Drives: X3 30D M-Sport

Buying x3

No real worries but ensure it comes with FBMWSH.
Expect to pay £10k for 1/2 owner in goo shape. Options can alter
Price dramatically. Tyres are not cheap either @ £200 each.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #27
Cycleram
Rep
Drives: 2004 X3

Garage List
2004 BMW X3  [0.00]
2004 x3

I just purchased a 2004 x3 in January with 90,000 miles. I had the dealer replace a master window switch, thermostat, a leaky oil filter gasket, the cooling system reservoir and change the transfer case lube. All in all, I love this car. Look for a late 2004 or later as the early ones aren't set up for cell phone or satellite radio. Mine is one of the first ones so no fm input to the radio either.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #28
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycleram View Post
I just purchased a 2004 x3 in January with 90,000 miles. I had the dealer replace a master window switch, thermostat, a leaky oil filter gasket, the cooling system reservoir and change the transfer case lube. All in all, I love this car. Look for a late 2004 or later as the early ones aren't set up for cell phone or satellite radio. Mine is one of the first ones so no fm input to the radio either.
glad you love your e83. ended up picking up an e83 msport, and all is good. I have the extended warranty on it, so i have a couple of things I want to get checked out before the warranty runs out this year.

1- driver's window - not sure if the seal is off, but i get pretty noticeable wind noise (leaking noise) after 80mph.

2- not sure if it's due to the sport suspension, but the panoramic sunroof rattles on bumps - sounds like the mounts or something's off... it's a pretty loud rattle over bumps, etc.

other than that, gotta love the x3... the n52 motor is silky smooth, and it's a bit beefier than the n52 on my e90.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #29
marblehead
Rep
Drives: 2008 X3 MSport Package

'08 X3 M sport

Just acquired this lovely ride w/57,000 miles but no warranty. Very happy with it overall, great performance and confidence inspiring handling. However, 4 days into ownership, it threw the SES code though there's no noticeable difference in performance, including gas mileage. I'm fearful of a bad O2 sensor but am also suspicious of that air intake boot that was mentioned awhile back. I've yet to have the code pulled/read so stand by. . .
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #30
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marblehead View Post
Just acquired this lovely ride w/57,000 miles but no warranty. Very happy with it overall, great performance and confidence inspiring handling. However, 4 days into ownership, it threw the SES code though there's no noticeable difference in performance, including gas mileage. I'm fearful of a bad O2 sensor but am also suspicious of that air intake boot that was mentioned awhile back. I've yet to have the code pulled/read so stand by. . .
Hows your panoramic roof? That's the only issue i'm having with mine... Idk if it's because of the stiff sport suspension or what not, but when i go over bumps, the rattle drives me nuts. No leaks, thank god, but with the amount the sunroof rattles, I'm afraid it will leak soon. Sounds like the seals are bad or what not. I have warranty until October, so I'll get it serviced soon.

As for the air intake boot, keep us posted. Your white Msport e83 looks great in your avatar!!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 06:06 AM   #31
marblehead
Rep

No problems with the Pano Roof so far. Sure is Panoramic! Heading in to have the code pulled and hoping it's easily discerned and then repaired by me. Fired up the car yesterday and ran some propane around the air intake boot to check for a rise in RPM but no show. So, I'm thinking now the problem's elsewhere on the car, perhaps the 02 sensor. Thanks for the compliment on the Avatar, too! BTW, you know all that is featured on these cars with the Msport Package?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #32
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No problems with the Pano Roof so far. Sure is Panoramic! Heading in to have the code pulled and hoping it's easily discerned and then repaired by me. Fired up the car yesterday and ran some propane around the air intake boot to check for a rise in RPM but no show. So, I'm thinking now the problem's elsewhere on the car, perhaps the 02 sensor. Thanks for the compliment on the Avatar, too! BTW, you know all that is featured on these cars with the Msport Package?
Good luck with your fix... hope it's nothing major.

I'm not too sure what's on these cars. I think the only thing I'm missing is PDC and Xenons. I do love the M steering wheel (nice and thick), and the little suv handles/corners well, so I'm happy. the n52 motor is as smooth as butter, and have no complaints thus far.

I think the Msport package consists of: 19" wheels, sport suspension, silencer exhaust (exhaust tips are different from other models, looks like PE tips), shadowline trim, m steering wheel, sport seats... not sure if i'm missing anything.

FYI, if you were thinking about getting OEM roof racks, they compliment the car real well. Not much of a noise difference either, and gas mileage is pretty much the same as without.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #33
marblehead
Rep

Codes

So, as I started the car this morning to drive to a local AutoZone to have the codes pulled, the light goes OFF! What? No SES light today Guess because it's Friday! . Nonetheless, I pulled the codes and will attach a pdf with the printout. I'm curious about the HVAC operation because when I adjust the temperature I do not get any noticable change, which one of the codes seems to support. Any thoughts on these?

I'm still baffled by the disappearance of the light. . .I thought when they threw a code the light remained on until manually cleared by a reader. . .
I also found a significant amount of debris/dirt/bugs in the air filter box, vacuumed it out and banged out the air filter while I await a new K&N to be delivered. I can't imagine this is the cause of the SES but I'm sure cleaning the area didn't hurt.

Fri l'{ay 310:43:05 2013
AutoZone
Troubleshooting P0597
0El4 Brand: BMW
? 14'18
t}efinition
66lherrnsstat heater csntrol circuit open
Explanation
d60pen sr short circuit condition
Probable cause
661.- Poor electrical connection
662.- Failed engine c00lin9 thermostat
0 .00
Prices and availability are subject to change
IHIS IS I,IOT A RECEIPI
Attached Images
File Type: pdf '08 X3 MSport Codes 5.3.2013.pdf (107.6 KB, 168 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #34
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So, as I started the car this morning to drive to a local AutoZone to have the codes pulled, the light goes OFF! What? No SES light today Guess because it's Friday! . Nonetheless, I pulled the codes and will attach a pdf with the printout. I'm curious about the HVAC operation because when I adjust the temperature I do not get any noticable change, which one of the codes seems to support. Any thoughts on these?

I'm still baffled by the disappearance of the light. . .I thought when they threw a code the light remained on until manually cleared by a reader. . .
I also found a significant amount of debris/dirt/bugs in the air filter box, vacuumed it out and banged out the air filter while I await a new K&N to be delivered. I can't imagine this is the cause of the SES but I'm sure cleaning the area didn't hurt.

Fri l'{ay 310:43:05 2013
AutoZone
Troubleshooting P0597
0El4 Brand: BMW
? 14'18
t}efinition
66lherrnsstat heater csntrol circuit open
Explanation
d60pen sr short circuit condition
Probable cause
661.- Poor electrical connection
662.- Failed engine c00lin9 thermostat
0 .00
Prices and availability are subject to change
IHIS IS I,IOT A RECEIPI
wish I can read codes... but that air filter clean definitely didn't help. Good luck on your troubleshooting, and let me know what the culprit is.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 03:52 PM   #35
INTERAVE
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i

Problems since I bought my 2006 in 2014

I bought my 2006 X3 3.0i in March of 2013 from a Ford Dealer lot. Not thinking straight, I didn't opt for a Warranty. First mistake. After 2 weeks, my Battery went dead. Cost-- $230 from a BMW dealer after being told a lie that I could not replace the battery with anything but a BMW Battery. Since then, I have replaced the tires 3 times. Brakes, at least 3 times. Serpentine Belt, 2nd Battery (aftermarket this time). Vacuum sensors, O2 Sensors, A/C Compressor, Manifold gasket, Oil Pan gasket, Front Struts, Crankcase valve, transmission sensors, rear left window lifter, Anti-freeze reservoir, Windshield washer pump, and replaced all Spark Plugs. Last week, my Service Engine light came on again as well as my Windshield Washer light, again! I love the way my Bimmer drives when nothing is wrong with it but that is far and few in between. I am almost finished with the payments on this car and as soon as a Title is in my hands, I am trading it in. I can't afford German performance anymore.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 05:46 AM   #36
Sfkjeld
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3

X3

Sounds like a rough go. As for the battery.... it’s not an entire lie. You can put in a non BMW battery and it will work. But it will unlikely reach its warranty life.

The biggest problem with X3’s is the x-drive. Far too complicated and problematic. The transfer case is vulnerable and it’s life greatly shortened with just modest tire wear differences. Get a blow out, you really to think about replacing all 4 tires, 2 at a minimum.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 05:30 PM   #37
frisbeeguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW,Tesla, etc.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTERAVE View Post
I bought my 2006 X3 3.0i in March of 2013 from a Ford Dealer lot. Not thinking straight, I didn't opt for a Warranty. First mistake. After 2 weeks, my Battery went dead. Cost-- $230 from a BMW dealer after being told a lie that I could not replace the battery with anything but a BMW Battery. Since then, I have replaced the tires 3 times. Brakes, at least 3 times. Serpentine Belt, 2nd Battery (aftermarket this time). Vacuum sensors, O2 Sensors, A/C Compressor, Manifold gasket, Oil Pan gasket, Front Struts, Crankcase valve, transmission sensors, rear left window lifter, Anti-freeze reservoir, Windshield washer pump, and replaced all Spark Plugs. Last week, my Service Engine light came on again as well as my Windshield Washer light, again! I love the way my Bimmer drives when nothing is wrong with it but that is far and few in between. I am almost finished with the payments on this car and as soon as a Title is in my hands, I am trading it in. I can't afford German performance anymore.
More like your dealer doesn't know how to fix a BMW, and just part-swaps until the problem is fixed. But all out of warranty luxuries are like that. Warranty wouldn't have helped anyway since all "stated coverage" is not actually true and the part has to be "proved" as defective. Definitely won't recommend a BMW X3 unless you can turn a wrench and fix/diagnose everything.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 12:45 AM   #38
sidyid
Living it up at Hotel la Mariposa.
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0 SD

I have an X3 3.0SD, the car has been excellent except for 1 issue last year, my alternator went and drained the battery, this was easily fixed but it damaged a sensor in the gearbox, BMW said that the sensor was not available to buy and quoted me 5000euros for a new autobox, I managed to get a secondhand gearbox with much lower mileage for 450 euros and everything was fine. The car is 11 years old but still turns heads.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #39
ClarkX3
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 E83 2.0

Hello,

not sure this thread is still alive, but I share my experience in any case.

The X3 is a fantastic car, both ecstatically and for the technology embedded.

Unfortunately, according to my experience, it is very fragile, especially after the expiration of the 4 years warranty period.

I have had a significant number of extraordinary repairs in five years (turbo twice, dual mass flywheel failure, vibration damper, ES transfer case). Of course, I have always done the maintenance and repaired the vehicle in BMW workshops.

I hope it helps.
Max
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 01:38 PM   #40
A_USED_LIE
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 X3 3.0i Manual

The transfer case actuator switch was broken in my cart when I bought it. It only throws diagnostic lights when the car tries to engage the awd.
Appreciate 0