BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-23-2019, 05:54 PM   #1
hraklis1
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 xdrive28i

Throttle Delay Fix

Hi all,

I own a used 2011 X3 xdrive28i (N52 engine). I've had it for just less than a year now, and while I love the car, I do notice that there's a 0.5s delay when going from a stop to acclerating. It's pretty frustrating, and sometimes dangerous if you don't anticipate it (i.e. turning left at an intersection).

I do find that switching it to sport mode helps, but it's still present. I also reset the transmission adaptation using Carly, in an attempt for it to adapt better to my driving style.

I've done some digging, and I guess this is a not uncommon issue. I did see that BMW released a software update that could be obtained at the dealer (since I bought this used, I have no idea if it was updated), but not specifically for this engine.

Does anyone have any experience with something like Sprint Booster (https://www.sprintboostersales.com/S...r_V3--SPRBM014). It's a plug-and-play device that you route into your acceleration pedal, and it remaps the throttle response. I'm wondering if it would be a relatively easy fix to my issue (and I'm also wondering if there's any risk for damaging the car by using it).

Otherwise, I'm wondering if anyone else has any fixes to this issue. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 08:16 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
TBA (Throttle Body Adaptation) RESET - solution to Throttle Lag
For those of you who have noticed a 5-10 % throttle lag ( not turbo lag ) when accelerating, there is a "cure" which is called the TBA reset:
  • Push start button but do not start the engine.
  • Floor the throttle for 60 seconds
  • Keep the throttle to the floor and push start button power OFF
  • Release the throttle and wait 2 minutes.
During the 2 minutes you should feel or hear some kind of mechanical sound.

That should tell you the reset is complete.

Start the car and go notice that the "lag" is gone. The first 5 - 10 % is now engaging the transmission.

YMMV so this may or may not make any difference for your vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 08:05 AM   #3
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hraklis1 View Post
Hi all,

I own a used 2011 X3 xdrive28i (N52 engine). I've had it for just less than a year now, and while I love the car, I do notice that there's a 0.5s delay when going from a stop to acclerating. It's pretty frustrating, and sometimes dangerous if you don't anticipate it (i.e. turning left at an intersection).

I do find that switching it to sport mode helps, but it's still present. I also reset the transmission adaptation using Carly, in an attempt for it to adapt better to my driving style.

I've done some digging, and I guess this is a not uncommon issue. I did see that BMW released a software update that could be obtained at the dealer (since I bought this used, I have no idea if it was updated), but not specifically for this engine.

Does anyone have any experience with something like Sprint Booster (https://www.sprintboostersales.com/S...r_V3--SPRBM014). It's a plug-and-play device that you route into your acceleration pedal, and it remaps the throttle response. I'm wondering if it would be a relatively easy fix to my issue (and I'm also wondering if there's any risk for damaging the car by using it).

Otherwise, I'm wondering if anyone else has any fixes to this issue. Thanks!
I use a sprintbooster on my 2011 X3 35i and it does make a difference. it is completely reversible and no risk of damage to your vehicle. The one I have only has 3 modes, off/on/track (or something similar). I just run it "on" and enjoy better throttle response.
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0