BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #23
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I'm just back from a 300 mile trip. I get some wind noise from 50 to 55 mph upwards and a little traffic noise. The traffic noise is not something I would have thought of as a problem on my car, the wind noise is marginal, it's by no means terrible but it should be better. Really hard to know if it's a slight seal problem or I'm just being picky.
      10-04-2011, 06:05 AM   #24
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I have an appointment with my dealer on Friday. I'm trying to make sure I'm not being paranoid due to reading problems on forums but when I analyse the noise more I feel that needing to raise my voice above the wind noise isn't right. Also when passing other vehicles it sounds like they are driving on wet road, I hear the noise from their tyres more then I'd expect. None of this is terrible but it's not as I would expect either.
      10-04-2011, 07:19 AM   #25
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
I have an appointment with my dealer on Friday. I'm trying to make sure I'm not being paranoid due to reading problems on forums but when I analyse the noise more I feel that needing to raise my voice above the wind noise isn't right. Also when passing other vehicles it sounds like they are driving on wet road, I hear the noise from their tyres more then I'd expect. None of this is terrible but it's not as I would expect either.
I don't get anything like this noise level (needing to raise voice). I can barely hear the wind or other traffic. If you have an iPhone you can present the dealer with a recording of your noise at 70mph against the one I have posted in this thread. It sounds like yours is much louder.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 07:31 AM   #26
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I don't get anything like this noise level (needing to raise voice). I can barely hear the wind or other traffic. If you have an iPhone you can present the dealer with a recording of your noise at 70mph against the one I have posted in this thread. It sounds like yours is much louder.
It's Blackberry for me but I listened to your recordings and couldn't hear the blustery wind sounds I get, they are like being in a car on gusty/windy day (thanks for the recordings!). My last 3 BMWs were convertibles (2 soft and 1 tin top). All had less wind noise, as I say it's not terrible but it's not what I would expect either. The seals look fine but I suppose any slight mis-alignment would be enough.

Where was the iPhone during recording? Near the mirror or in the centre?
      10-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #27
Ural
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Sat in silence on the motorway earlier to listen for wind noise at 70mph and 80mph. Can't hear anything significant on mine at either speed. If you want to compare, I've attached 30 seconds of audio at each speed recorded from an iphone (you'll need QuickTime). I can only assume certain X3s have more of a problem than others or I'm going deaf!
Thanks for posting the recordings, Sfax ! I agree with you that it is not a general yet quite common issue. I for example have the same voice level at 50 mph which you seem to have at 70 .
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 08:33 AM   #28
Ural
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanintx View Post
This is was what the service management at my dealership thought. I had heard from others that replacing seals that were misaligned, due to incorrect installation, minimized their noise problems, as well.
Makes sense. Thanks. I will call the service rep once more to talk him into replacing the seals.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #29
Ural
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You are describing exactly what I have been feeling about the noise issue in my car, both wind and other cars', and you are not being paranoid. I don't like the situation that I have to drive all the time with the music volume turned up to not to hear the wind especially at speeds around 75 mph which is legal limit on most roads in Turkey now.

Hearing passing cars' noises is also something I would expect not exist in a premium class car. Wind noise to start at 50 mph is on the other hand bizarre to me in any car, no matter which class.

Looking forward to hearing the result of your appointment on this with your dealer
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #30
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
It's Blackberry for me but I listened to your recordings and couldn't hear the blustery wind sounds I get, they are like being in a car on gusty/windy day (thanks for the recordings!). My last 3 BMWs were convertibles (2 soft and 1 tin top). All had less wind noise, as I say it's not terrible but it's not what I would expect either. The seals look fine but I suppose any slight mis-alignment would be enough.

Where was the iPhone during recording? Near the mirror or in the centre?
It was held in my hand when the recordings were made - quite near ear level, about level with middle of the driver

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #31
ninoo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 x3 2.0d Auto

What Car Magazine uk published noise comparisons with Audi Q5, LR2. and Volvo XC60 in their March issue. X3 2.0d measured 66.5 dbs at 70 mph, the quietest of the four cars tested. My X3 is quiet but not as quiet as my previous e60 525d.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #32
Jonas12
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

I had exactly the same noise problem while driving a test car (see my thread of Sep 22). The dealer / salesman told me that it's normal for SUVs to have that kind of noise. I disagreed. I had also posted a comment on the need for this to be fixed at BMW's innovation site. Got a Thank You reply, and that it had been forwarded to relevant people (whatever that may mean). Real sad for a car of this level and price to have such problem. P.S. I drove my friend's Nissan qashqai today, and even there the noise was less...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 01:16 AM   #33
Ural
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas12 View Post
I had exactly the same noise problem while driving a test car (see my thread of Sep 22). The dealer / salesman told me that it's normal for SUVs to have that kind of noise. I disagreed. I had also posted a comment on the need for this to be fixed at BMW's innovation site. Got a Thank You reply, and that it had been forwarded to relevant people (whatever that may mean). Real sad for a car of this level and price to have such problem. P.S. I drove my friend's Nissan qashqai today, and even there the noise was less...
I had driven two different test cars before deciding, took one to the highway even, but only noticed the wind noise at 100 mph which I had tought was quite normal for an SUV at that speed. I had not paid attention to the noise at lower speeds because I was more interested with performance, handling etc.

When I took mine to the dealer for this problem one month after delivery, at some point they brought their test car for me to compare the noise. It had only 200 miles or something on it (mine had 2000 then) and had almost the same wind noise from 50 mph and up , plus the traffic noise.

There is no TSB or recall yet on this subject, but still BMW may have addressed this as an issue and done something about it for 2012 models- at least a better QC. They are supposed to be arriving here nowadays. I will try to drive a 2012 test car too.

You are right, Qashqai is also an SUV with large mirrors, so is my Jeep Cherokee , but both with less wind noise than all F25 X3s I have driven so far.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 01:44 AM   #34
MikeBimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

I drove my X3 on a 4000 mile road trip after owning for three weeks - no exorbitant issues with wind noise, even up to 110mph (don't ask). When I drive right next to concrete dividers (the four foot tall ones) on highways I certainly notice an increased volume, which surprised me the first time but if I move over a lane all is happy and right with the world. Previous 5 series was significantly quieter but this is a much cheaper car (build quality/design). It only takes one tap on the inside of the lift gate(or just open the lightbulb access panels) to note the complete lack of sound deadening material/solid feel under trim pieces. Having said this, I've still never experienced any abnormal wind rush/noise from the driver's seat.

Last edited by MikeBimmer; 10-05-2011 at 01:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 04:04 AM   #35
Ural
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBimmer View Post
Previous 5 series was significantly quieter but this is a much cheaper car (build quality/design).
X3 is literally not a cheaper car than 5 series . Listed prices in Turkey as well as in Germany are almost the same for 5 series and X3 for equivalent trim levels and engine options . One BMW salesperson said to me many people have a hard time deciding between the two models because prices are very close.

On the other hand, by "cheap" I believe you mean qualitywise. I cannot really comment on that because I only test drove a 520d once before buying the X3 , and personally did not see much difference in materials used or build quality but I never went into details to neither model as you did. I hear frequently tough that X3 is at quality level of a 3 series while 5 series can be compared to X5 within this context. I don't know if it is the fact or people tend to think that way just due to matching numbers in their names.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #36
MikeBimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

In the U.S. the X3 is, literally and figuratively, a monetarily cheaper car, similarly equipped, to a 5 series. Having said that, you're absolutely right, I was referring to quality and shortcuts BMW has taken throughout the X3 to keep costs down. I owned a 335i and 535xi prior to the X3 and both cars were significantly more solid. Having said that, none fit me better than the X3 does and I love the car. For fun, go test drive the 5 series again and adjust the volume - you'll note the dial is mounted on something rubberized and 'feels' heavier/higher quality. Even though the head unit/interface looks identical, it isn't. This is one example of an attention to detail higher vehicle lines within BMW (I suspect the X5 would feel more like a 5 series sedan).
      10-05-2011, 11:28 AM   #37
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

I drove both an '08 535xi and an '09 E90 M3 previous to this X3. I don't find the X3 to be much below those two in assembly and build quality. It does feel quite "light-footed", especially compared to the 535xi, and the turbo takes a bit more finese to engage smoothly than the turbo in the N54 engine of the 535

Overall, I am pleased with my X3.
      10-07-2011, 05:59 AM   #38
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm just back from the dealer where we test drove my X3 checking for wind noise. My tester could hear wind noise "in stereo" from both mirrors. When we got back to the garage he found a note (TSB?) on production up to 15th July 2011 re the insulation inside the triangle where the mirrors attach to the door needs replacing.

My car's build date is 27th July so they can't do the work automatically.....instead they are raising a PUMA case and will get back to me on Monday. I'm optimistic this will be resolved as they seem to have a fix, it may just be that BMW weren't too accurate with the build dates of cars included in the TSB.
      10-07-2011, 06:49 AM   #39
Ural
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'm just back from the dealer where we test drove my X3 checking for wind noise. My tester could hear wind noise "in stereo" from both mirrors. When we got back to the garage he found a note (TSB?) on production up to 15th July 2011 re the insulation inside the triangle where the mirrors attach to the door needs replacing.

My car's build date is 27th July so they can't do the work automatically.....instead they are raising a PUMA case and will get back to me on Monday. I'm optimistic this will be resolved as they seem to have a fix, it may just be that BMW weren't too accurate with the build dates of cars included in the TSB.
What you have given is a precious info for me. Thanks !

When I rethink the nature of the wind noise I get, it makes sense assuming the main source is most likely the mirrors as most agree.

It would be great if you could learn a reference # of this note or TSB# if it is one, or at least the part code of the insulation if exists. Any would help a great deal.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 08:04 AM   #40
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I should know more on Monday, I'll see what info I can get re the TSB. I think any extra traffic noise will be getting in from the same place, ie the mirrors.
      10-07-2011, 09:01 AM   #41
Ural
Private First Class
Rep

I appreciate it. I hope what your service guy found is a TSB, because then the bulletin should be giving instructions on what work to do with all part numbers etc. leaving nearly no comment on the service personnel.
I agree . That triangle, although a small area, can easily be a bridge for the outside noise to enter the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #42
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

The was a list of about 5 stages for the process to go through in implementing the fix, the instructions should be a TSB, I'm reasonably certain. This was from BMW, it's wasn't something from the garage as the only problems they've had to fix on X3s so far are rear view cameras being pushed out of line by drivers pressing on the wrong place on the hatch.
      10-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #43
Ural
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The was a list of about 5 stages for the process to go through in implementing the fix, the instructions should be a TSB, I'm reasonably certain. This was from BMW, it's wasn't something from the garage as the only problems they've had to fix on X3s so far are rear view cameras being pushed out of line by drivers pressing on the wrong place on the hatch.
Yes, sounds definitely like a TSB. Hope you can get the number from the garage. Would be extremely helpful.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 07:08 AM   #44
Jonas12
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ural View Post
Yes, sounds definitely like a TSB. Hope you can get the number from the garage. Would be extremely helpful.
Excuse me for my ignorance, as I'm new to the BMW world. What is a TSB, and how would it help our noise problem?
Appreciate 0