BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
Kiernan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition/911 GTS

Another Bluetooth Question......

Sorry guys, I know this has been done before having done a search, but have a question that I'd like a definitive answer on if possible.

Just ordered a new X3, and have gone for the basic 'Bluetooth hand free with USB audio interface' option (6NH) and want to ensure that I've got this right. Haven't gone for sat nav, and all I'm after is the ability to make and receive calls via the iDrive, and to play and navigate music on a USB stick using the plug in the armrest. I don't really want voice control (have it in my M3 and it drives me nuts) or the ability to stream music from my phone, so think that what I've got should do the trick. Is this right, or are there any other functions I'm missing out on by not ordering the enhanced option (6NK)?

I understand that if I'd ordered sat nav, 6NK would be the one to go for but based on the above, will 6NH serve my needs?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
BMWLVX
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d

The simple fact that you're questioning whether or not you require it would make me tell you to err on the side of caution. BMW are just terrible for describing their options, especially when it comes to anything phone/media/music player related.

After not ordering some options that cost 250€ and finding out after that it costs close to 900€ to retro fit the damn thing, in the future if I think I might find a feature useful at that price then I'll take it.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 05:22 AM   #3
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

We have the 6NH option, we use our phones with bluetooth which allows us to make calls, see our contact list and program numbers using the 1-8 buttons to autodial. Works really well. The buttons on the steering control the calls.

For satnav we use a samsung ace on £10 contract from 3g..simplees.

We then have a 32Gb usb stick in the centre console which gives us plenty of music!
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
Kiernan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition/911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
We have the 6NH option, we use our phones with bluetooth which allows us to make calls, see our contact list and program numbers using the 1-8 buttons to autodial. Works really well. The buttons on the steering control the calls.

For satnav we use a samsung ace on £10 contract from 3g..simplees.

We then have a 32Gb usb stick in the centre console which gives us plenty of music!
Thanks plymjack, that's exactly what I was looking for. Not fussed about streaming music from my phone, as I'll just plug in a USB stick like yourself. You've just saved me £330 as I was tempted to get 6NK but it just seems pointless.

Now, should I order the cold weather package as the heated steering wheel sounds nice......?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.8

Garage List
The heated steering wheel is very nice. Comes on very quickly. Side note, the availability of heated handgrips on the motorcycle is what got me to BMW in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
bookerV
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xdrive35i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiernan View Post

Now, should I order the cold weather package as the heated steering wheel sounds nice......?
I've got the cold weather options and can confirm that the heated steering wheel is excellent. Very quick and really warm. Does a great job in the winter!