BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-22-2015, 12:26 PM   #1
Graham B
Rep
Drives: F25X3xDrive20dSE

Adaptive headlights - Help!

I have Xenon Adaptive Headlights as part of the Visibility Package.

Initially, they seemed to be very impressive, moving and adapting the light pattern around other cars. In fact it is like your own personal light show!

HOWEVER, there is a blanked off section of the beam which casts a shadow over an oncoming vehicle, so that they are not dazzled. Or that I assume is the theory. On my car the shadow is misplaced and normally too high, or too far to the right, causing oncoming vehicles to flash me as they ARE being dazzled.

Has anyone else experienced this on a new car? Can my BMW dealer adjust the positioning of this "Shadow"?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 04:18 PM   #2
BlueBouy65
Registered
England
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0DSE xdrive Deep Sea Blue

Hi, I have experienced the same problems and in the end switched the adaptive headlights off travelling down the M6 on Sunday. Like you I need to know if they can be adjusted downwards slightly as that would appear to cure the problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 05:51 PM   #3
derriktr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i XDrive

Garage List
If you're both having issues with your adaptive headlights being too high, I would assume you need to get them serviced at a dealership. Unlike conventional headlights, when you have BMW auto leveling headlights they automatically adjust to a preset level (degree, angle) when you initially start the vehicle (Hence the headlights starting pointing down when you start the engine and then pivot upwards). It seems as if the sensors in the headlights, be they gyroscopes or whatever the boys in the kitchen are cooking up these days, needs to be reset and realigned.

Just my two cents.
      10-26-2015, 05:10 PM   #4
DJ123
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 20d SE

Hello, I'm new to the forum, having just recently got a new X3 (which I'm really pleased with!)

However, I'm having a similar problem to this. I'm assuming it's the high beam assist rather than the adaptive lights, as only happens with this on. Most of the time it seems fine, but on my 20-25min commute home in the dark got flashed a few times nearly every evening last week, so ended up losing my nerve and turning it off, which defeats the purpose!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 05:50 PM   #5
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

I previously thought the beams were too high on mine as I was getting flashed a few times. I just put it down to the lights being very bright.

However, I have a pair of new headlamp units in my car courtesy of BMW crashing and damaging the originals and they seem to be set up a lot better than the original units. It may just be an adjustment thing?

One final thought, is your windscreen clean in front of the sensor fitted to your internal rear view mirror. If the sensor is impeded by a dirty screen, it can have a detrimental effect.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 07:01 PM   #6
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp View Post
One final thought, is your windscreen clean in front of the sensor fitted to your internal rear view mirror. If the sensor is impeded by a dirty screen, it can have a detrimental effect.
I agree! I had similar some time ago and found that the windscreen in front of the camera (it is fitted inside the boss that holds the rear view mirror) that sees oncoming vehicles had several large fly spatters in front of it. Cleaning that area quite often did make a difference to the speed of response of the High Beam Assist (HBA).

I still get the occasional car flashing me, but I put that down to some drivers being pedantic and wanting you to drop your high beams earlier because the overall Xenon lights are very bright.

Last edited by Peter_R; 10-26-2015 at 07:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2015, 01:06 PM   #7
Graham B
Rep

Thanks for the comments and feedback, it's very helpful. It does appear to be a common problem and I could certainly see that the "shadow" is not aligned with oncoming vehicles.

One thing I did check was that the windscreen was clean.

I do not drive very often in the dark, but will have to ask the service department to look at the adjustment. I just hope they can do it while I wait and I will not get the standard "leave the car with us for the day".
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 06:00 AM   #8
Graham B
Rep

UPDATE

The car was returned to the dealer and they confirmed the angle of the lights was "slightly" higher than they should be. Now, when driving at night oncoming vehicles are correctly masked by the "Shadow" cast by the adaptive system. No more flashing from approaching cars!

One has to ask the questions: a) why were they not correctly adjusted at the factory and b) why was it not picked up during the PDI?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 12:11 PM   #9
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

a: shit happens
b: nobody is perfect

What about the other hundred or so of functions/adjustments?

We shall all be aware of the tough test - like a Belgian pave`- all vehicles crossing the Ocean have to endure because of the heavy diesels in the ships.

Not to mention the agony for the people in assembly of checking/adjusting a vehicle which is built "backwards" as she (Ingrid Bergman) said in the movie.

Last edited by Tjalle; 12-01-2015 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0