BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-20-2011, 10:20 AM   #89
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 Z4 630iC

Can some more X3 owners please post pictures of the same areas as in the pictures at the beginning of the thread, then we can compare.

Thnx

Last edited by X3andZ4owner; 06-20-2011 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #90
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3andZ4owner View Post
Can some more people post pictures of the same areas as in the pictures, then we can compare.

Thnx
This is what they look like on my Feb. production 35i.

Some evidence of "finger-finishing", but maybe a little more carefully done than yours. No big "peaks" however. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #91
azhar
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhar View Post
I'm disappointed about BMW's quality of manufacturing just as satisfied with its driving and control. No matter whatever reason or excuse, I cannot understand a luxury brand like BMW produces car with such low standard of quality. Even many cars twice cheaper than BMW have very high quality.
I don't agree at all, maybe you could prove your point?
The last time I went to New York Auto Show where I paid much attention to other similar brands to BMW. Audi Q5 has better welding. Japanese cars like Lexus RX, Acura RDX and Infiniti EX all had better manufacturing quality. Example, when you opened the tailgate you could definitely find unsmooth welding in the hinge which was too obvious to ignore it. You know it's an exhibition model car. The reason I paid attention to the welding was that it was my first time to buy a BMW which had been always famous for it's luxury name in my mind. After the test drive I was impressed with the super driving feeling but also surprised with the quality. Finally I still chose my new X3 but as a new fan, I really hope BMW can have a better control for it's manufacture.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 10:59 AM   #92
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Audi Q5 has better welding. Japanese cars like Lexus RX, Acura RDX and Infiniti EX all had better manufacturing quality.
The weldings are all done by robots (probably by the same brand anyway) so it might be a case where the design hides the welds better.
As for Jap brands, yes, they're screwed together well enough but their interior switchgear leaves a lot to desire.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #93
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I very much appreciate the interest in the finish of welds and sealants being as visually appealing as possible; however, there is likely no connection between these items and an assessment of the quality of design or assembly. Aesthetics, certainly, and I'm with you there. I prefer a clean, neat appearance as well. Engineering propriety and long term durability, though, require far more detailed examination and testing than a "eyeball analysis" to assess an individual vehicle and/or make comparisons between vehicles. I've seen some "ugly" welds that stood out appearance-wise but were exactly what was required to provide the best solution for the application at hand. Again, not to say I wouldn't prefer a nicely finished sealant. I would.
      06-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #94
azhar
Rep

What I'm not satisfied with BMW shows that I like it and hope BMW could have a better appearance. I really wish BMW is a perfect car without any defect. Unfortunately the welding problem really annoys me and give me an impression that BMW is cheaper than many cars whose price is lower than BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #95
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
What I'm not satisfied with BMW shows that I like it and hope BMW could have a better appearance. I really wish BMW is a perfect car without any defect. Unfortunately the welding problem really annoys me and give me an impression that BMW is cheaper than many cars whose price is lower than BMW.
Well I wouldn't exactly call jagged welding or sealant a defect but I guess different aspects of a car matter to different people.

Although some cheaper cars may do a better job at applying sealant or welding, this alone shouldn't be an indicator of the overall quality of a car. I remember a couple of months ago Hyundai was putting out ads where they were comparing their paint quality to Mercedes and having fake hidden cameras in their cars recording people test driving and saying how the car's like a MB. Whether Hyundai's paint is really that good is debatable the fact is a Hyundai is not a Mercedes, although they may have comparable paint to a MB other aspects such as handling, performance, and quality are not the same.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is although the welding might bug you and gives you an impression that the X3 seems cheap, just because a actual car that is cheap is better at one area such as welding, there's a good chance that for that one area that they're good at they're lacking in 10 other areas.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #96
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
This is what they look like on my Feb. production 35i.

Some evidence of "finger-finishing", but maybe a little more carefully done than yours. No big "peaks" however. Hope this helps.
Thank You, Looks better then mine.

More pictures anyone?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #97
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:

More pictures anyone?
I looked at mine, a mid-April prod 35i and didn't take pix. I would say mine looks very much like the pix posted by Lotus 7, maybe even a touch smoother. Mine shows no signs for human intervention, nor any spikes, "fingerprints" or anything like that. Looks good to me.
      06-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #98
azhar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
Well I wouldn't exactly call jagged welding or sealant a defect but I guess different aspects of a car matter to different people.

Although some cheaper cars may do a better job at applying sealant or welding, this alone shouldn't be an indicator of the overall quality of a car. I remember a couple of months ago Hyundai was putting out ads where they were comparing their paint quality to Mercedes and having fake hidden cameras in their cars recording people test driving and saying how the car's like a MB. Whether Hyundai's paint is really that good is debatable the fact is a Hyundai is not a Mercedes, although they may have comparable paint to a MB other aspects such as handling, performance, and quality are not the same.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is although the welding might bug you and gives you an impression that the X3 seems cheap, just because a actual car that is cheap is better at one area such as welding, there's a good chance that for that one area that they're good at they're lacking in 10 other areas.
If BMW can do better, why not? If BMW has best driving, control, quality and best welding, why not? If BMW can prevail in every aspect, why not? When you open your X3's tailgate, would it be feeling better if you see a smooth and perfect welding of the hinge?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 02:34 PM   #99
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:

More pictures anyone?
Is this the work of man?!

I messed up photo 2 but I have no rough finish below what you see in this photo (as you do) and no sharp points

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 02:47 PM   #100
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Is this the work of man?!
It's certainly not the work of God!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #101
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Side by Side

Here is a composite of X3andZ4owner's, sfax's and mine.

Not as much difference as you might think. It looks to me like both sfax's and mine could have been done by the same finger. Not so sure about X3and Z4's however (maybe different shift?)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #102
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:

Not as much difference as you might think. It looks to me like both sfax's and mine could have been done by the same finger. Not so sure about X3and Z4's however (maybe different shift?)
My theory is all the same finger but he had a manicure sometime in March this year. Looks like he needed one too

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #103
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:

Look at the back-fill laps on the lower left of each caulk bead. Based on the laps, I'd say the direction of application was going towards the lower left of the photo. What they do at the beginning of the bead, at the top left, is unknown to me. Must be hand-smeared there based on the variability.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #104
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
My theory is all the same finger but he had a manicure sometime in March this year. Looks like he needed one too
LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #105
mtanasy
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

I just saw a video from another post that shows the application and finishing of the sealant. I thought everyone would like to see it. There's even a shot where it looks like the worker leaves a spike in the sealant. The scene cuts away before we can see if he goes back to smooth it out.

http://www.bmwusfactory.com/manufact...ss/paint-shop/
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #106
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtanasy View Post
I just saw a video from another post that shows the application and finishing of the sealant. I thought everyone would like to see it. There's even a shot where it looks like the worker leaves a spike in the sealant. The scene cuts away before we can see if he goes back to smooth it out.

http://www.bmwusfactory.com/manufact...ss/paint-shop/
Great Video! Paint application is impressive: 90 robots!! Good thing they're not getting union wages.

Looks like they first use a brush and then smear across with a finger.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 03:45 PM   #107
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Great Video! Paint application is impressive: 90 robots!! Good thing they're not getting union wages.

Looks like they first use a brush and then smear across with a finger.
THERE'S THE GUY WITH THE STICKY FINGERS!

I told you so.. Stunned they let my car pass QC! Fingers of my car ! What about finger grease on the untreated metal surface... Will the ground-paint stick , alwas heard one must remove all grease before painting something?...

BTW I know German workers got free lunch Lager Beer at the German factories a couple of years ago does this also apply to the US factories ?

Maybe my car was made just after an lunch hour?

Last edited by X3andZ4owner; 06-20-2011 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #108
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BTW I know German workers got free lunch Lager Beer at the German factories a couple of years ago does this also apply to the US factories ?
?
Very much doubt that the US employees receive any beer, free or not.
That's probably the problem - no free beer.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #109
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Very much doubt that the US employees receive any beer, free or not.
That's probably the problem - no free beer.
Happy workers do good work ...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 11:42 PM   #110
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
What about finger grease on the untreated metal surface... Will the ground-paint stick , alwas heard one must remove all grease before painting something?...
No humans are involved in the painting process. Once the bare shell is completed it's bathed in various solutions b4 being applied various coats of paint by robots.
Appreciate 0