BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #1
capnmorganxx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i

Snap in Adapter and iPod Classic Mod

Hi all,

Has anyone tried to use an iPod Classic via the snap in adapter (media) for iPhone 4/4S with dock connector?

I was considering getting a snap-in adapter, then attaching this cable to the connector: http://www.amazon.com/Ziotek-ZT13115...+extension+1ft

This would then let me hook up any dock connector iPod Touch or iPod Classic and use the enhanced interface without the dimension limitations of the snap-in adapter itself.

I'm sure you're wondering why this is worth it to try... Basically I use my iPhone 5S with the USB port in the armrest for Pandora/BMW apps function. I would love to gain the additional input capability of the snap in adapter to add an iPod classic 160gb filled with iTunes Lossless music then be able to browse that iPod with the enhanced interface.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
capnmorganxx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quick update on this: I think I figured out a solution.

I am using the iPhone 4S snap in adapter with the 30 pin dock connector, and then I have modded up a dummy iPhone 4S from Amazon ($8). It's made out of the same materials as a real iphone, same dimensions, weight, everything. The inside is hollow.

I am taking a dock connector extension cable, and then drill a hole in the side of the iPhone 4S dummy and rout it out the side. Then take the female dock connector and glue it into place where the real dock connector would be.

Should work and solves the problem of the spring loaded dock connector pushing out the female dock connector.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 01:41 PM   #3
capnmorganxx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I can confirm that this works and I have yet to mod up the dummy iphone 4s. Just used this adapter from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Patuoxun-Exten...ctor+extension

it snapped right into the bmw snap in adapter and even after driving around on bumps and rough roads, never moved out of place. I can confirm snap in functionality with any iPhone, iPod touch, or iPod that is connected via that cable. Not sure if you could use a 30 pin to lightning adapter for a poor man's snap in.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #4
drodnyc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7

can i ask what exactly did you gain from this? are you looking to playback movies from your device? does it work?

i guess more importantly, has anyone found a solution that would eliminate the need to purchase an expensive snap in adapter just to play back movies on the ipod or iphone.

i have the 6nr option but have not purchased the snap in adapter yet. i can play music just plugged into the usb but cannot play movies stored on the device. the snap in adapter should allow this.. and because it is only a cable connector converter kit (the snap in adapter) there should be just an after market cable out there that can plug into the 6nr docking port and then to the actual device (minus snap in adapter) to play movies.

has anyone found this solution?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 07:03 AM   #5
Sarsippius3rd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X4 28i

I have the iPhone 5 snap in connector and iPod 30 pin in my usb. Wondering why you don't go that route instead. The interface should be the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 09:48 AM   #6
drodnyc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7

usb does not allow playing of movies. and i haven't found a snap in adapter for my 160 gig ipod classic, unless it is the same adapter for an ipod touch or older iphone.

my goal is to have a connector/snap in adapter/etc connected to my ipod classic so i can play both music and movies in the car.

i can rip movies into any format, just can't get it to show on the idrive screen.

obviously if i copy movies to a usb thumbdrive, it plays fine via usb drive. but now i have to manage two devices (unplug music ipod, plug in usb thumbdrive to play movies)

was hoping to have one device do it all.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 04:19 PM   #7
the7thson
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M6

Hi there, sorry to revive this old thread.

I just wanted to confirm - snapping the iPod Classic directly in to the iPhone 4S snap-in adapter worked as intended right? There was no need to get the dummy phone etc?

Also - does hooking up the iPod Classic to the snap-in adapter allow playing video/movies etc through iDrive?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0