BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-25-2022, 03:48 PM   #1
marc78240
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

BMW X3 35i Paint Peeling / Warranty?

It seems that BMW has washed their hands at the Dealer and the BMW, USA national level regarding the paint peeling problem that many owners within this forum have referred.

Today, I received a call from BMW, USA after requesting to speak to a supervisor regarding this issue. The supervisor stated that the 12 year corrosion warranty only applies when there is rust perforation and is not a warranty on the paint itself.

Even though the warranty states on Page 23, " The major degree of corrosion protection is due to the electrophoretic dip painting process which cathodically deposits paint particles on all body parts, attracting paint particles into the minutest cavities or seams. Body parts are designed to provide optimum corrosion protection." it means absolutely nothing according to BMW, USA.

This situation is quite frustrating considering that we thought we were buying a premium product when we purchased our BMW vehicles. Over the last 43 years we have owned many vehicles from a multitude of manufacturer's and never seen this problem. The last time I saw this issue was on my 1965 Chevy Impala. It's a real shame that BMW won't stand behind their product.

See below images of paint peeling off the left hand A-pillar.

How prevalent is this situation?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 04:46 PM   #2
HPR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 35i M Sport

This looks like paint peel from a poor respray. Did you purchase the vehicle new?

Last time I saw anything like this was on a 1966 Mustang I owned. Factory paint that was improperly applied. Ford had terrible paint and corrosion problems for a few years back then.
      07-25-2022, 04:51 PM   #3
marc78240
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Yes, this 2017 BMW X3 35i was puchased NEW from BMW of Silver Spring in May 2017
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 04:55 PM   #4
frisbeeguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW,Tesla, etc.

Garage List
Never seen anything like this before. Ouch. I guess can only lawyer up.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 05:35 PM   #5
deyrag
Private
Rep
Drives: x3 2.8i

Your pictures are hard to see due to the weird angles and closeness but it looks like it may be the strips where the roof bars would be if fitted. they seem to be a very common problem with paint peeling.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 06:39 PM   #6
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc78240 View Post
It seems that BMW has washed their hands at the Dealer and the BMW, USA national level regarding the paint peeling problem that many owners within this forum have referred.
I haven't noticed "many owners" within this forum posting about peeling paint. I've seen the black finish peeling on roof rails, but those are not body color paint. Can you provide some example links to all these posts here about peeling body colored paint?

On positive note, by your pictures, it looks isolated to the removable trim on each side of the windshield, so an easier repair. Or do you have other areas on the body that are peeling as well? Have you ever had the windshield replace?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 07:53 AM   #7
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

First, the quoted language is about corrosion. What you have is not a corrosion issue. It's an adhesion issue (on what I think is a plastic piece). Anyway, that piece just pulls off. A glass shop just grabs them with bare hands and pulls up. Take it to a body shop and have it painted. There is nothing you can do to prevent it. It's just an odd issue that happened to your car. Easy fix. Or I guess you could "lawyer up" like another poster suggested and spend a year and a bunch of money, lose, then pull it off and take it to a body shop.
Appreciate 5