BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
Harv_NC
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Question Goggle CUSTOM Maps - Send to Car?

Has anyone tried to create a Customized map in Goggle Map and get the Customized map to their BMW?

I can use the Send to Car feature on my Mac (won't work from an IOS device), but I simply get the destination, then the BMW NAVI takes over and does its own thing. That is my customized route (which is better than the poor route BMW Navi comes up) is NOT sent to the car, just the address.

Has anyone figured out if this is even possible?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

BMW Nav is capable of setting multiple destinations for ones entire trip but you can't add / edit preloaded maps. You can send an address to Nav but if it doesn't exist on Nav , it can't take you to the actual point.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
rmeir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x3

my understanding was the google map thing only works in germany go figure
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeir View Post
my understanding was the google map thing only works in germany go figure
No, it works everywhere if you have BMW Assist.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

why not send multiple 'way points' using google maps selecting specific locations along your custom map?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv_NC View Post
Has anyone tried to create a Customized map in Goggle Map and get the Customized map to their BMW?

I can use the Send to Car feature on my Mac (won't work from an IOS device), but I simply get the destination, then the BMW NAVI takes over and does its own thing. That is my customized route (which is better than the poor route BMW Navi comes up) is NOT sent to the car, just the address.

Has anyone figured out if this is even possible?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

You cannot use Google Maps to send a Route to your X3, only a Destination.

The Google Maps Destinations that are sent to your X3 may be added to your X3's Address Book.

Multiple Address Book entries may be strung together so that you have waypoints between your starting and final destinations, but the Nav system will choose the route.

It sucks, but that's the way it is.

Last edited by 02420X3; 05-21-2012 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
rmeir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x3

Smoking In Car

I Smoke In The Car But Always Try And Leave Windows Open. There Seems To Be A Accumulation Of Ordor However, I Try And Get Rid Of It By Running The Blower Full On And Leave The Windows Down Ut You Can Still Tell It When You First Start The Car. What Might Solve That? Replacing The Cabin Air Filter//??
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 05:38 AM   #8
Harv_NC
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
why not send multiple 'way points' using google maps selecting specific locations along your custom map?
Great idea...more work, but the multiple way point might do the trick.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
X3emist
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 M/Sport

Correct, you can only send a destination, not a route from google maps. Before someone asks, here is where the option is hidden in google maps. Enter and find the location you wish to sent. Click the little chain like icon to the right of the printer icon, click the blue send button, select car to the right and then select BMW and enter the BMW assist name that they set up for you at delivery. Bingo
      05-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
Harv_NC
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

So basically, send to car really does nothing more than you can accomplish via the navi screen inside the car?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #11
gerem
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv_NC View Post
So basically, send to car really does nothing more than you can accomplish via the navi screen inside the car?
Yeah...I like it, sometime when I'm looking for a new place to play golf or when I'm looking for a new restaurant with the wife on internet. I just send the address to my car and I got it!!!

IMO...
      05-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #12
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Gives you the option of doing it ahead of time o when you get bio the car you can just go.
      05-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
bluedevils
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 35i

And sending destinations from the mobile/cell phone is convenient too. Just use the BMW remote app.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevils View Post
And sending destinations from the mobile/cell phone is convenient too. Just use the BMW remote app.
Does it imply that it's difficult to set the addresses on iDrive and convenient to use mobile to do it. BMW should give a serious thought to it.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #15
bluedevils
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1 View Post
Does it imply that it's difficult to set the addresses on iDrive and convenient to use mobile to do it. BMW should give a serious thought to it.
It is easier to type out the destination instead of using the wheel to pick each letter or number. If you're doing this while pulled to the side of the road, it is faster to input directly to the NAV. The app needs time to upload the destination.

The real convenience is when you are out somewhere like shopping and you decide you want to go somewhere to eat afterwards. You can google a good restaurant, send it to the car and everything is ready to go when you return to the car. Also with the app it is a search so I don't have to know the exact address.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #16
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevils View Post
It is easier to type out the destination instead of using the wheel to pick each letter or number. If you're doing this while pulled to the side of the road, it is faster to input directly to the NAV. The app needs time to upload the destination.

The real convenience is when you are out somewhere like shopping and you decide you want to go somewhere to eat afterwards. You can google a good restaurant, send it to the car and everything is ready to go when you return to the car. Also with the app it is a search so I don't have to know the exact address.
So my point was right.
Appreciate 0