BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-16-2011, 02:10 AM   #1
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Interior Cleaning

So I've just finished with quite a big photoshoot, and it was unfortunately very rainy outside. We used my car as a model "shuttle" and as a mobile clothing rack. Everyone was muddy, and there was a "pile-up" situation of people in my backseat. I bought some microfiber cloths and used water on the cloths to wipe down the leather, and that's mostly clean. But there's dirt EVERYWHERE on the floor in the backseat and the back of the front seats. I do not have all weather floor mats, because I think they look tacky, but now I have dirt everywhere on the floor. Any suggestions for cleaning?

Note: The garagemen who work in my apartment building clean the car weekly, but Thursday is three days away. In any event, if I can get them to clean the car before Thursday, how should I tell them to clean it? Should they drench and dry the standard floor mats? Should I take them out and have them steam cleaned? Should I keep using the microfibers for the leather? The problem now in the backseat is that the cloth on the hump and all below the leather upholstery where you put your feet is dirty.

Black Nevada Leather, if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

judd,

Been there, done that!
Everybody has their own methods and favorites for interior cleaning, but what works for me is:

Carpeting: IMHO the VERY best for normal dirt is "Blue Coral DRI-CLEAN" This is a spray foam. You spray it on, wait for 15 minutes (important) than wipe it with a dry towel and then vacuum it off. It really removes any dried on dirt and leaves a nice smell. You really do need access to a vacuum cleaner.

see: http://www.bluecoral.com/INTERproducts.asp?page=1_2

You can get it at some auto parts stores or from Amazon.com

For the leather surfaces it's VERY important to clean before you use any leather conditioner.

Again IMHO, one of the best, reasonably priced ways to safely clean the leather is with Lexol 1115 spray cleaner.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Everyone likes this stuff and it won't damage the leather surface if you use it according to instructions. Try to keep it off any plastic/wood surfaces, or if you do get it on the plastic, wipe it off immediately.
Follow the instructions exactly. It's easy as leather cleaners go. If you have the time, then follow up with a rubbed in application of regular Lexol conditioner.

I'd be careful letting the building attendants clean the leather, using too harsh a cleaner can damage the surface and fade the color.
Most important component is "elbow grease".

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Lotus7; 05-16-2011 at 08:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 08:16 AM   #3
CdnE90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i, 11 X3 x35 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
So I've just finished with quite a big photoshoot, and it was unfortunately very rainy outside. We used my car as a model "shuttle" and as a mobile clothing rack. Everyone was muddy, and there was a "pile-up" situation of people in my backseat. I bought some microfiber cloths and used water on the cloths to wipe down the leather, and that's mostly clean. But there's dirt EVERYWHERE on the floor in the backseat and the back of the front seats. I do not have all weather floor mats, because I think they look tacky, but now I have dirt everywhere on the floor. Any suggestions for cleaning?

Note: The garagemen who work in my apartment building clean the car weekly, but Thursday is three days away. In any event, if I can get them to clean the car before Thursday, how should I tell them to clean it? Should they drench and dry the standard floor mats? Should I take them out and have them steam cleaned? Should I keep using the microfibers for the leather? The problem now in the backseat is that the cloth on the hump and all below the leather upholstery where you put your feet is dirty.

Black Nevada Leather, if that helps.
I would take out the floor mats, soak them down and scrub the spots that are really ground-in. Let them dry outside of the car. Be sure they are dry before putting them back in.

The interior carpeting should just be vacuumed. Leave the carpet cleaning to the professionals as all the water needs to be completely dried. If you need to do some spot cleaning, be very cautious about the amount of water you use and try to dry as best you can.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 08:21 AM   #4
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

First use an industrial strength vacuum cleaner or coin operated one at a gas station.

I would use water to clean the carpet unless it left a residue or stain. Lotus is right on leather cleaner. Make sure any leather cleaner has a conditioner in it. The clays in the dirt will take moisture out of the leather if left.

Now...do the all weather mats still look tacky?

Last edited by Radioactive; 05-16-2011 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
rs6655
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 X3 (MT)

Careful with the leather. I clean mine with cool water and a wash cloth. Still looks perfect after almost 68,000 miles of use. Modern BMW's use full grain leather.

+1 on Lexol conditioner... just don't over do it. Once every six months is plenty.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Leather Care.pdf (32.4 KB, 335 views)
File Type: pdf Leather Quality.pdf (33.6 KB, 269 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #6
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
...Now...do the all weather mats still look tacky?
Not only do I use the "tacky" all-weather mats, I also cut an old BMW floor mat into a shape that covers the center driveshaft hump carpet. It's not elegant, but it sure works. With the nasty weather we've been having in the Midwest, one can't have too much "muck" protection. I'd rather have clean carpets than worry about what my passengers think about my taste in floor mats. After all they are already getting a "free" ride. If they don't like my floormats, they can always walk!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I just don't like the look of rubber. And they never look like the fit properly. If they were a bit more subtle, then I'd approve. But it looks like someone took a monster truck tire and flattened it to the floor.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 11:40 AM   #8
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
.. If they were a bit more subtle, then I'd approve. But it looks like someone took a monster truck tire and flattened it to the floor.
judd,

Your aesthetic sense is just too finely honed.
And what's wrong with flattened monster truck tires?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
I just don't like the look of rubber. And they never look like the fit properly. If they were a bit more subtle, then I'd approve. But it looks like someone took a monster truck tire and flattened it to the floor.
They if fact fit really well. If you don't like them, you might try these.
http://www.cocomats.com/

A lot of different colors and styles, plus complete rubber backing to protect you carpet.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #10
rs6655
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 X3 (MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Not only do I use the "tacky" all-weather mats, I also cut an old BMW floor mat into a shape that covers the center driveshaft hump carpet. It's not elegant, but it sure works. With the nasty weather we've been having in the Midwest, one can't have too much "muck" protection. I'd rather have clean carpets than worry about what my passengers think about my taste in floor mats. After all they are already getting a "free" ride. If they don't like my floormats, they can always walk!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 03:53 AM   #11
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
judd,

Your aesthetic sense is just too finely honed.
And what's wrong with flattened monster truck tires?
The flattened people dripping from the tread.

Am I a sociopath? Naahhh.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 07:19 AM   #12
guitarpath
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 35i

The BMW OEM rubber all-weather mats fit perfectly in the F25.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 07:30 AM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpath View Post
The BMW OEM rubber all-weather mats fit perfectly in the F25.
+1 I have them and they are a perfect fit

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 07:44 AM   #14
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

If vacuuming and other methods don’t get the carpet clean you could try a “Spot Bot”

It’s a small carpet cleaning machine that’s used for small areas (mostly for pets) and has a hand attachment that squirts carpet cleaning fluid, has a brush and vacuums the excess water out.

I haven’t used it in my car, but it gets regular usage in my home. They're only about $120

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #15
leannaluv
leann
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 BMW X3

You mentioned that you use cool water and a wash cloth to clean the leather in the car but I dont see the leather getting clean? I have an 04 X3 and surprisingly the interior is really nice but I find that the cream color gets dirty often due to my hetic lifestyle and my husband being such a pig... lol. I have actually used a really soft toothbrush working it for sometime to get it clean... Is that not a good idea? Your leather may be different than mine, Im thinking due to the fact that mine has 90k miles, Not sure. This is my second Bimmer and Im far from a guru when it comes to knowing the basics for cleaning the interior. The glove box and surrounding area are leather Im assuming but it is really weird feeling. Not sure how to clean it either. Soft cloth and soapy water, and/or leather cleaner? dunno... I think Im gonna pull out the manual and fill in some blanks. That said, sorry for yacking so much, any suggestions would be appreciated... thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs6655 View Post
Careful with the leather. I clean mine with cool water and a wash cloth. Still looks perfect after almost 68,000 miles of use. Modern BMW's use full grain leather.

+1 on Lexol conditioner... just don't over do it. Once every six months is plenty.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #16
Jan van Zyl
Private First Class
Namibia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 (F25) x-drive 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannaluv View Post
You mentioned that you use cool water and a wash cloth to clean the leather in the car but I dont see the leather getting clean? I have an 04 X3 and surprisingly the interior is really nice but I find that the cream color gets dirty often due to my hetic lifestyle and my husband being such a pig... lol. I have actually used a really soft toothbrush working it for sometime to get it clean... Is that not a good idea? Your leather may be different than mine, Im thinking due to the fact that mine has 90k miles, Not sure. This is my second Bimmer and Im far from a guru when it comes to knowing the basics for cleaning the interior. The glove box and surrounding area are leather Im assuming but it is really weird feeling. Not sure how to clean it either. Soft cloth and soapy water, and/or leather cleaner? dunno... I think Im gonna pull out the manual and fill in some blanks. That said, sorry for yacking so much, any suggestions would be appreciated... thx
You can try the BMW proprietary leather products: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc....html?cat=1007 - leather cleaner and then the conditioner (as with most of the following products):

1) http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...oduct_Count=13

2) http://www.autopia-carcare.com/pure-...nditioner.html

3) http://www.autopia-carcare.com/wolfg...nditioner.html

4) http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-610.html

I use the BMW products-very happy with it and use it on non-BMW vehicles too. Once it is finished - I will probably choose one of the above. For older leather - the Leatherique also scored good write-ups on various forums.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0