BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Heads Up Display?

Hope I didn't miss something, but wasn't able to turn up a thread on the heads up display.

Anyone have one? Test drive one? Comments? Is it really that useful?

I've passed on it so far figuring I've never had any trouble seeing the gauges or the nav while driving. I understand it requires a special windshield to operate and it's much more expensive to replace if you get a rock strike or similar.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
drtdvl
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan, X3 35i, Tacoma

I like the HUD as I have one in our X5 35d. I also ordered this feature in the X3 as well, however, you may want to drive the X3 with the NAV option but without the HUD as this version of the X3 shows direction and upcoming turns between the tach and speedo. I almost didn't order the HUD because of this feature.

You are correct about the windshield being more expensive to replace as my sales advisor told me it would likely be around $1k. I now leave lots of distance between vehicles especially end dump trucks.

The other annoying thing about the HUD is that I can't see the display while wearing polarized sunglasses.

The second best thing about the HUD is that I can comfortably adjust the steering wheel and not worry about cutting the top of the gauges off.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 10:39 PM   #3
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral

I test drove a 35i with it and while I thought it was kind of cool... it had a hologram effect where the display numbers look like they are actually kind of floating outside the windsheild about a foot in front you... I'd personaly probably pass on it since it costs like $1300 extra and with all the other options to quickly soar the price on up, it's the one thing I'd probably leave off.

The other thing I noticed was when I sat in both an X3 with the display and one without, the one with the display has a large square opening on top of the dash in front of the steering wheel where it projects. I personally liked the look of the dash better when it didn't have the display opening and was just closed and smooth on top.

Also, for me, I feel I can easily and safely glance at the speedometer, or glance over at the nav to see my position while I'm driving just fine.

If you don't mind a big square opening on the top of the dash and don't mind spending 1300 extra then it might be a fun feature/luxury to have, but I wouldn't pick it over most other options.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 06:30 AM   #4
ShinySteelRobot
iPhone/iPad Developer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

I have a HUD in my 6er and love it, and when I get an X3 I'll get a HUD in that too. The main benefit to me has been "ticket avoidance" since I can tell in a microsecond whether I'm speeding when I see that police speed trap down the road. I estimate it's saved me many hundreds of dollars in tickets (not to mention more hundreds in jacked-up insurance premiums ).

Of course, having it tied into the Nav system is cool too. The HUD also shows you alerts (flat tire, service alerts, etc) but that's definitely a secondary benefit.

One last tangent, it's "Head Up Display" (not "Heads Up"). For a couple of decades the fighter jocks call it a "head up display" in their fighter jets, whereas "heads up" is what you yell before a fly baseball conks your buddy on the head.
      02-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
acer2974
United_States
Rep
Drives: X35i Min Silver/Black Int

HD display is not really needed anymore. On the new X3, the nav turns, etc. are displayed on a small screen between the main dials. Very bright and clear. Don't have to look at the nav screen once programmed. This is not documented and the X5 does not have this. Sold my wife on the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #6
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Agree. Great feature. Info and graphics clear and easy to discern in a "dash glance". Glad I didn't get the Head Up Display.
      02-09-2011, 12:36 AM   #7
Alpine tourist
Alpine tourist
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: F25 Deep Sea Blue

I have the HUD after a great experience on our 530i.

In bad snow weather conditions or a long drive you do not need to look down/sideways and can focus on where you are going.

Downside is cost and - if combined with the infra-red screen - you miss out on the green/grey strip at the top.

Overall, an interesting feature that is not found on competitors in the segment.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
mstevens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M4Misano Blue

We have the HUD on the new X3 and like it.

Is it necessary? Nope. Is it nice? Yep.

If there are budget trade-offs to make, I'd certainly get nav and the reversing cameras before I'd get HUD. On the other hand, I'd get HUD before a fancier stereo or different wheels.
2004 E85 Z4 3.0 Sport - Sold to brother | 2004 E83 X3 xDrive3.0i - Gone | 2011 E89 Z4 35is - Gone | 2011 F25 X3 xDrive35i - Gone | 2014 E89 Z4 E89 35is - Gone | 2014 F25 X3 xDrive 30i X3 - Gone | 2017 F83 M4 Cabriolet - Gone | 2017 F25 X3 xDrive30i - Gone
2020 G29 Z4 M40i Misanoblau | 2020 G01 M40i Phytonicblau
Casa Suzana, vacation rental villa in Cozumel, Mexico
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #9
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I've test driven a X3 with HUD and it was pretty cool. I think adding the feature or not mostly depends on if you prefer to see the speed and nav directions on your windshield or seeing it in the speedometer and small display.

I found the HUD to be convenient but sorta distracting, while driving it was kinda annoying that there's a light orange hologram in my periferals. The little display under the speedometer does just as well in showing important information but I find it a little too small, I prefer the speedometers in Mercedes. I really like how the dials on Mercedes moves on the outside of the speedometer verses the inside in BMWs because it allows them to add another larger display in which is otherwise wasted space.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
Toecutter
Private
Rep
Drives: rattletrap

How is the HUD image while driving at night? On a dark and moonless night does it produce a bright orange light front and center in your field of view?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post
We have the HUD on the new X3 and like it.

Is it necessary? Nope. Is it nice? Yep.

If there are budget trade-offs to make, I'd certainly get nav and the reversing cameras before I'd get HUD. On the other hand, I'd get HUD before a fancier stereo or different wheels.
Hmmm, see this is the last option I am debating on. basically getting everything except this and DHP so far. To me the premium stereo was one of the first options I added, $875 is nothing for the sound quality jump, although I guess if you don't listen to music and prefer talk radio on your drives there is no point in it, same goes with the wheels, some like the look of the 19" while others feel its a waste since you don't see the outside of your car while driving, so they would rather get the HUD.

I already have my car priced at $55,090. I would like to save $2,600 and not get those last two options as there is nothing else I really want to cut. Also the fact that I am buying a $41K base price car for $55K cant' be good for resale in the future, you get killed on options down the road. Something like HUD you pay for 100% because at trade in time KBB and NADA don't add anything for that option.
Appreciate 0