BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #1
Mike824
Rep
Drives: 2011 2.8 X3

Oil Level Sensor

Just got an Engine Oil Level Sensor Malfunction. Anybody familiar with this? Quick fix?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
EvilGenius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike824 View Post
Just got an Engine Oil Level Sensor Malfunction. Anybody familiar with this? Quick fix?
I'm only guessing here but it sounds like you have a malfunction. In your oil level sensor. I'm not really sure what you are looking for as to a "quick fix". A sensor is a sensor, there isn't a reset button or anything on it. If a sensor isn't working, it must be replaced. Not really any getting around that.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 02:02 PM   #3
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Its a replacement that shouldn't be very involved. Usually its bolts into a port that this on the side of the oil pan (at least it was on my E90). Will be covered under warantee anyway and should be a quick fix (limiting factor will probably be if the part is readily available).
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 02:09 PM   #4
dangarella
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 28i M-Sport

Garage List
Does anyone know how can I get my check engine light off? It is going off since I put a test pipe in and the o2 sensor is detached. How do I bypass this!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
c3uo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

On the oil level sensor I had problems with readings in both my E90 and F25 in cold weather with many short trips. Pull open your oil fill cap and look for moisture / sludge in your oil. The oil level sensor stops working if you have a lot of humidity in your oil. An oil change or a good highway trip in warm weather fixed my sensor. I discoveed this as I had repeat issues in my E90 (3 sensor replacements in a month under warranty until we discovered it was unbrunred moisture issues in cold weather).

Worth checking before you just get the sensor replaced.

FYI - I miss a dipstick.

Also, the latest software updates change the oil change interval to 1000 km when it can no longer get an oil level reading as opposed to a service vehicle immediately reading (at least this is a change I noticed in the E90 vs F25).
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
HammerStar
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Oil level sensor

My 2011 2.8i had this issue in the first winter after delivery, apparently it was a fairly common problem. On some days I could drive for several hours with no oil level showing (same indication as when you check oil level just after start up). The problem seemed to be evident on the colder days during the winter only. I did not have any screen indications of "oil level sensor failure", just the fact that there was no reading at all on the oil level screen. The fix was a full new software load (about six hours hooked to the computer), the sensor itself was OK. No relapse after the fix.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #7
EvilGenius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarella View Post
Does anyone know how can I get my check engine light off? It is going off since I put a test pipe in and the o2 sensor is detached. How do I bypass this!

Nice thread jack. Know what you are doing before you embark on it. If you are going to go screwing with the emissions of the vehicle by ripping out the cat and a sensor that is central to how the engine operates, you really should have a plan of attack going in, shouldn't you? Now go away.
Appreciate 0