BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-10-2014, 12:59 AM   #1
rondocap
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

So in August I purchased a 2011 x3 35i with m sport, about 46k miles. Car has been at BMW for almost a total of 2 months between 3-4 visits spread out over time.

Ok, not a lemon as the car has around 50k miles, but still a lot of issues!

Now there were a couple of delays in getting parts too, plus holidays and some snow.

Here are the issues:

First, as soon as I got it, it had a malfunction light that came on, a strut had to be replaced and some wires in that area/sensors were caught under something. Apparently the non BMW dealership I got it from had unsuccessfully tried to get it repaired at a BMW dealer out of my state. For some reason they went there, and who knows what they did but it was only fixed when I brought it in to another dealer.

Ok, then secondly, the car had a long crank so it was determined the hpfp needed to be replaced.

Third - car drifted to the right, alignment and 2 new tires needed, but this did not solve issue. Even a bulletin was done, new struts too for the other side - but it may be related to the last problem.

4th- I actually brought the car in the 3rd previous visit and had to bring it back when parts came in weeks later for the last issue:

Clunk coming from left side over bumps. They could not figure this out for almost a month the car was there - they replaced the control arms and now think it's the steering rack causing this issue.
Now, the dealer is great and keeps me informed, I've used them previously and it's always a pleasure. I understand it takes time to figure it out.

I just wanted to share the issues I've had to see if this is common - I've read others have had these too, but what do you guys think?

Hopefully the steering rack fixes the issues. And thank goodness for warranty!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 08:25 AM   #2
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

It's just the luck of the draw. Did you review the service history prior to purchase? I've seen many posts about the issues you list but can't recall seeing one X3 exhibit all these issues. I feel for ya. Never a fun situation. On the bright side, sounds like you have a very good dealer. Maybe think about trading yours in for another used one?? You can check service records to see if a potential candidate has a clean bill of health.

We had one of the first batches of 2011 X3s in the country and it has been bulletproof (only have 40k miles on it though). Yes, we probably got luckier than most I suppose. Now I'm gonna go knock on some wood...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #3
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Both of my X3's came with trouble. It's like the problems were standard features. My lease is up in August…will miss some things, but I'm happy to be rid of the rickety suspension, quirky sensors, and rattly interior.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive35i View Post
Both of my X3's came with trouble. It's like the problems were standard features. My lease is up in August…will miss some things, but I'm happy to be rid of the rickety suspension, quirky sensors, and rattly interior.
Judd what do you plan as a replacement? The Macan?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 03:38 PM   #5
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
Judd what do you plan as a replacement? The Macan?
Either the SQ5 or the Macan S.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #6
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 X-drive 35i

Rondocap - Is it possible your car was in an accident before you bought it? A front end crash improperly repaired might explain all your issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 12:50 PM   #7
rondocap
Captain
Rep

It had a clean carfax and no visible evidence of that, so I don't think so.

I think it comes down to a faulty steering rack, hopefully it will fix it.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #8
rondocap
Captain
Rep

I updated this on the steering rack thread as well, but I figure I post here too.

I got the car back, and after they replaced the steering rack, the issue has been solved. I will say this only came after almost a month and a half of them trying various parts in the suspension and residing areas.

Thank goodness for warranty, I think everything together would have been over $8000 since they changed so many suspension parts and there were so many labor hours involved in finding the issue.
Appreciate 0