BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
victorfy
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

Newbie question: which package gives the extra sport+ mode on x3 28i? Thanks.

Newbie question: which package gives the extra sport+ mode on x3 28i? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
NYX335i
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Sport+ mode is standard on all 2013 X3

The BMW Driving Experience Control with Eco Pro, Normal, Sport, and Sport+ modes are standard on all 2013 X3 28i and 35i.

But, if you want Dynamic Damping Control for switchable suspensions, you need to order the Dynamic Handling Package.

DHP comes with Dynamic Damping Control, variable sport steering, and performance control.
Check the BMW sites for how each of these features work.

You will be using the same buttons for the Driving Experience Control, to control the Dynamic Damping.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
tr7372
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYX335i View Post
The BMW Driving Experience Control with Eco Pro, Normal, Sport, and Sport+ modes are standard on all 2013 X3 28i and 35i.

But, if you want Dynamic Damping Control for switchable suspensions, you need to order the Dynamic Handling Package.

DHP comes with Dynamic Damping Control, variable sport steering, and performance control.
Check the BMW sites for how each of these features work.

You will be using the same buttons for the Driving Experience Control, to control the Dynamic Damping.
Eco Pro is standard on 2013s, so unlike previous years, you'll have the Driving Experience Control switch on all builds. But I'm not sure about Sport and Sport+. If you look at the standard features on the BMW website, all it says is "Driving Dynamics Control with eco pro mode".

I have a 2013 35i with the Dynamic Handling Package, and you have the option to configure Sports modes to adjust "Drivetrain and Chassis", just Drivetrain, or just Chassis. Without the dynamic handing package you don't have dynamic dampers or variable sport steering, so there would be no way to adjust the chassis. So would only the drivetrain be adjusted in sports modes without DHP? That would be a much different sports mode then what you'd get with DHP. I would definitely highly recommend DHP. It's a fairly reasonably priced package, and the difference when you switch driving modes is pretty dramatic.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
I just got my 2013 28i fully loaded without DHP.

It gives me Eco, comfort, sport mode.

My car is still on the break on period with 587 miles on it. I tired the sport mode once, it only changes the transmission map or throttle which gives me a awesome jitter or something and it changes ur steering to a tighter one. So far I haven't noticed any suspension or chassis tightening.

The reason why I said I haven't noticed such things is because I came from 2012 35i with DHP. Had to return it because of the emission thingy.
      05-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
tr7372
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamigawa120 View Post
I just got my 2013 28i fully loaded without DHP.

It gives me Eco, comfort, sport mode.

So it sounds like you just don't get Sport+ or chassis adjustments if you don't get DHP. I still think DHP is worth the cost.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr7372 View Post
So it sounds like you just don't get Sport+ or chassis adjustments if you don't get DHP. I still think DHP is worth the cost.
Sport+ is simply a mode you use when driving in snow, sand, or any other terrain that doesn't benefit from traction control cutting in all the time and it's standard on all X3s. Putting the X3 into Sport+ is essentially the same thing as putting it in Sport mode with drivetrain and chassis enabled but now the traction control is eased up a bit and will allow some wheel-spin to occur. In non-DHP cars although the chassis setting also includes the suspension bits in the highlighted picture in iDrive it really only tightens the steering even if others on here tell you otherwise.

With DHP equipped X3s the car also comes with dynamic dampers and variable steering like you said. With non-DHP X3s you can only change the throttle response, shift points (drivetrain) and steering tightness (chassis).
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Beyu,

I configured my sport mode to change the driveline only. Sport+ is reserved for the full sport mode with the steering and dampers brought into the equation.
      05-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
victorfy
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

Thanks to all for the info. My 28i (premium, cold weather, convenience, PDC) only has eco pro/comfort/sport, no sport+. Maybe DHP is the way to go.
Appreciate 0