BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-23-2016, 11:12 AM   #1
marc x
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 stock

Post coding for used/preowned parts?? RDC TPMS

I am looking to buy a used RDC control module from craigslist. The seller says that his "15 x3 had flipped upside down and the insurance totaled it out.
Since I have new tires and my tmps sensors all show normal battery life, but I get RDC malfunction from time to time, I would like to buy the cheaper used one to see if that will remedy the problem.
So, if I purchase this RDC module, will I need to flash the entire ECU to code it in? Or will I just be able to add the module via is serial in the configuration file?? I only see that you can activate or deactivate but nothing in the guide made easy for adding used, pre owned RDC antenna/module.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 02:00 PM   #2
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

I can't give you a definite answer - but some reasoning. I am better with mechanical items.

Since active monitoring is new to X3 - previoulsly ABS based -it stands to reason that RDC is self-sufficient i.e processing is done within the unit and then sending data to display.

It should then be sufficient to configure it - unless this is automatically done.

I bought pirate sensors for my wintertires, which the system accepted. The sensors were adapted to BMW.

"TPMS sensors show normal battery life"? I take it you mean that they still have life. How do you get the car to show that?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 03:30 PM   #3
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

"I bought pirate sensors for my wintertires, which the system accepted. The sensors were adapted to BMW"

How were they adapted? I have some winter tyres and need to buy the rdc sensors
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 01:06 AM   #4
Tjalle
Major
Rep

Pinewood, it was made by tyreshop. They sell "fully adaptable" pirate sensors. Cost is about 60% of original/dealer sensors. Because of BREXIT, I suggest you buy/install sensors ASAP before further increase in cost - £ is down 10%

I am a bit worried about battery life of sensors, but since sensors only activated during wheelrotation, I hope that all sensors will live "my" maximum life of 8 years with the vehicle. I will, probably, keep sensors when new summertyres - Michelin Pilot Super Sport non-RFT:s. 20" staggered.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 01:46 AM   #5
marc x
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 stock

Tjalle : there are those Autel ALL-In-One TPMS scan tools, that will show you battery life of your TPMS, there are videos on youtube that shows these things in action. I had my tire shop show me the statuses because I thought they damaged my TMPS sensors when I got new tires, but that doesn't seem to be the case. And they suggested me to the dealer for the RDC antenna itself.

As far as the RDC module (antenna) itself, I did meet up with the guy and purchased the part anyways because the part does show 13/09/2015 date on it and realoem shows the part being exchangeable (compatible), but when I installed the RDC (located beneath truck, by rear passenger tire) it instantly says malfunction. Then when I reinstall my original RDC it works fine, but I am just getting the RDC malfuntion from time to time still!

So this used RDC looks like it needs to be coded or registered some how.

I am still downloading the pzdzdata files, for the 2nd day and counting!
After I get the pzdzdata files downloaded I will start coding and see what options I have.
But I am guessing it will be something like when you would register a new battery, even if it is the same type/model battery, you must still register it to your vehicle.
I just have never did a full ECU flash before so I'm just concerned and I hope this all goes smoothly.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 03:06 AM   #6
Tjalle
Major
Rep

marc: thanks for INFO! I will ask "my" tireshop to invest.

That's what I meant: you need, somehow, to register your new RDC - sorry but that is not my "thing".
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #7
c3uo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Any success with the used RDC module? Did you have to recode with Rheingold? I am getting conflicting information regarding the recoding. I would have thought as long as the parts are interchangeable recoding would not be required.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 07:40 PM   #8
c3uo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

FYI - instead of replacing my RDC module, I ended up disabling the TPMS system this weekend via VO coding and enabling the flat tire monitor (wheel speed sensor based instead of TPMS based). This seems to be working (knock on wood).

The sequence I followed was as follows:
I removed 2VB from the FA.
I then VO Coded ICM, KOMBI, HU_CIC, and DSC.

All works with no errors. I have Flat Tire Monitor Active. I did not disconnect the RDC Module (you can't just pull the fuse for TPMS in the X3 as it gave me DMTL errors which were on the same fuse). As everything was working fine with no errors I just left the RDC module connected. Hopefully this will not lead to having problems later......
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2018, 02:57 PM   #9
2011X3Owner1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3

Coding used RDC module

Hello, everyone:

So the RDC module on my 2011 X3 (F25) died and I bought a used RDC module from a 2016 X3.

The "TPMS Malfunction" warning still came up after I replaced the module so I figured it needed to be flashed or coded.

I looked into using ISTA-P to "Program" it or Esys to "Flash" it. However, due to the Integration Level being too old, the Program or Flashing will need to update multiple ECUs and potentially update the I Level (which I can't do since I don't have a 70A battery maintainer).

After some research I found some directions about "coding" the RDC module. This worked out for my replacement part as it already has software on it but just missing a CAFD file.

So I followed and updated the instructions below using Esys and everything worked out fine. Hope this help others who have the same problem.

Once connected : -

Expert Mode-Coding

Read FA

Activate FA

Read SVT

Select "Complete Flash" and then choose the I-Level for "Shipment"

Select the 'RDC' ECU

Detect CAFD for SWE (you will see a list of compatible CAFDs)

Choose the CAFD you want (since they are all the same, I chose the latest one)

Click Code

DONE
Appreciate 2
      02-13-2018, 01:28 PM   #10
E90705
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90/F25 M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011X3Owner1 View Post
Hello, everyone:

So the RDC module on my 2011 X3 (F25) died and I bought a used RDC module from a 2016 X3.

The "TPMS Malfunction" warning still came up after I replaced the module so I figured it needed to be flashed or coded.

I looked into using ISTA-P to "Program" it or Esys to "Flash" it. However, due to the Integration Level being too old, the Program or Flashing will need to update multiple ECUs and potentially update the I Level (which I can't do since I don't have a 70A battery maintainer).

After some research I found some directions about "coding" the RDC module. This worked out for my replacement part as it already has software on it but just missing a CAFD file.

So I followed and updated the instructions below using Esys and everything worked out fine. Hope this help others who have the same problem.

Expert Mode-Coding

Read FA

Activate FA

Read SVT

Select the 'RDC' ECU

Click Code

DONE

Bought my RDC antenna new from BavAuto. Then had my buddy at his Indy shop program it to car. Taking out and installing was super easy. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 08:23 PM   #11
MKDaddy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 e93

What software was used?

You say you were able to get the RDC to reprogram. What software were you using?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 05:19 PM   #12
Cwinfield
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 28i

I got a new RDC module which has no CAFD file, tried to follow the other instructions posted but not getting the option to detect the CAFD from SWF or able to select I level integration. I'm guessing I have nothing programmed to it. Anybody know how I would be able to program otherwise?

Expert Mode-Coding

Read FA

Activate FA

Read SVT

Select the 'RDC' ECU

Click Code

DONE
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 03:23 PM   #13
KenMarn
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X4 F26

Hi,

I'm trying to workout if I can enable TPMS on my 2016 F26 X4 35d?

Did your X3 always show the RDC ECU within E-Sys?

My E-Sys list of ECU's doesn't display a RDC entry.

Cheerz

Quote:
Hello, everyone:

Expert Mode-Coding

Read FA

Activate FA

Read SVT

Select the 'RDC' ECU

Click Code

DONE
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 12:02 PM   #14
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 (N55), 2014 I01 (REX)

Quote:
Hello, everyone:

Expert Mode-Coding

Read FA

Activate FA

Read SVT

Select the 'RDC' ECU

Click Code

DONE

thank you for this post

mind sharing with us where these instructions came from?

thanks again!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 09:05 PM   #15
nesterkyn
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3, 1999 BMW Z3

Idrive screen and Climate Control dead because of bad RDC

I had a similar issue in my 2013 X3. It started after I got new tires installed, so I figured it was the tire shops fault, but they told me all of my TPMS sensors were still transmitting. I drove around for a while with a TPMS error before all hell broke loose.

The RDC module was so corroded that it started shorting out and triggering the Idrive screen to go black, as well as the Climate Control to stop working. It even disabled the controls for the stereo on the center console (although the stereo was still usable from the wheel controls) and triggered an airbag light on the dash.

I eventually found the problem, replaced the module with a used one from a similar vehicle (cutting it open to make sure it was in good shape first) and was able to code it using E-Sys 3.30.1 with the v.4.27.20_PSdZData_Lite file. All functions of the vehicle are now back to normal, strange how one short can cause so much madness.

Note: the 'Detect CAFD for SWE (you will see a list of compatible CAFDs)' button was greyed out for me until I was using E-Sys 3.30, with 3.27.1 iit would allow me to view the RDC module but not make changes to it. The 'lite' psdz data file was sufficient as it had all of the files for a 2011 F25 X3 on there.

Thanks for the info!

here is where I got my files if you want to do this as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9IxVydWU5A&t=159s
Appreciate 0