BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-30-2017, 08:48 AM   #1
bjp1979
Private
Rep
Drives: VW Golf TDI soon to be X1 20d

Just found a screw partially sticking in tread

Hi, just found a screw partially stuck in my run flat tyre. It pulled out by hand easily enough within a few seconds but has left a scar. I drove back home about 7 miles and left the tyre pressure monitor on and no problems. Should this be ok?

There only seemed to be a couple of millimetres stuck in hence it being easy to pull out with a slight twist and pull.

Pictures are too large so will try to upload smaller ones.

Do you also think if it’s ok the dealership might try and argue I need a new tyre when it’s due it’s first service next month (if they see it)?
Attached Images

Last edited by bjp1979; 12-30-2017 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 08:55 AM   #2
m3bs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 S54 M3, X5, GT4, GR Corolla

Sounds like you got lucky. As long as it’s not leaking you should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 02:58 PM   #3
MG M135i
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 M135 5 Door

Garage List
2013 BMW M135i  [0.00]
I had a similar puncture in my M135i which was not a run flat, it was a very slow leak that the TPMS picked up on. Same thing happened on my wife's X1 with run flats. I would watch for a slow leak, where screws are concerned tire tread is not that deep.

Tire shop did a repair on it and it was as good as new. We are allowed to repair a run flat in Australia if the puncture is in the middle area of the tire and not near or in the side wall.
      12-30-2017, 03:23 PM   #4
BIG_KID
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

Put some dish washing soap on and see if it bubbles
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 08:01 AM   #5
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjp1979 View Post

Do you also think if it’s ok the dealership might try and argue I need a new tyre when it’s due it’s first service next month (if they see it)?
I doubt the dealer will examine the tire closely enough to notice a minor imperfection in the tire tread. If the tire tread depth is within acceptable limits and the tires do not appear to be leaking air, this is likely all the dealer will check during a routine service inspection.

I had a similar experience with a screw in a tire. The TPMS showed normal tire pressure. Rather than pull out the screw (which had already penetrated to the head), I drove a mile to a tire store and had them extract it. The service person tested the area with soapy water. When no bubbles were observed, he told me the tire was okay.

I continue to check the tire pressures regularly. Four months later and the tire pressure of the one penetrated by the screw still tracks the pressure in the other tire on the same axle. My X3 is equipped with run-flat tires, so I am not concerned about a sudden loss of pressure should stress on the tire cause a leak in the future.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 09:29 AM   #6
atarivers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 xDrive35i M Sport

It's the same in the USA. As long as the puncture is not near the sidewall or edge, then repairs are allowed. This applies to run flat or non run flat. I personally would skip the dealer visit and have it repaired at any local tire merchant. My dealer is very busy to the point it takes up to two weeks to get a service appointment. If the TPMS does not detect anything then you are probably ok. If it is a very slow leak it might take the TPMS a week or more to detect it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG M135i View Post
I had a similar puncture in my M135i which was not a run flat, it was a very slow leak that the TPMS picked up on. Same thing happened on my wife's X1 with run flats. I would watch for a slow leak, where screws are concerned tire tread is not that deep.

Tire shop did a repair on it and it was as good as new. We are allowed to repair a run flat in Australia if the puncture is in the middle area of the tire and not near or in the side wall.
Appreciate 0