BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-16-2017, 09:16 AM   #1
zhoudaniell
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 x3

extended maintenance warranty - 2 or 3 years?

I drive a 2014 x3 with about 49000 miles on it. Since I'm about to be at the 50k mark, I decided that I wanted to go for the 1 year extended maintenance warranty, mainly just because I have my front/rear brakes pads + rotors replacement coming up, and that would cost me about $1600 USD alone.

On my computer, it says that they are both due in about 3200 miles, but the advisor said that they are usually never at the same time, and that he expects the rear ones to be due maybe in year 2 from now.

What's making me hesitant now is that there's actually a decent deal that BMW is offering - if I do 2 years, I get $300 rebate, and if I do 3 years, I get a $750 rebate.

Year 2 seems like it's the "insurance" year since my rear brakes may not need a replacing until then, but year 3 at this point is in consideration because of the discount.

For prices, 1 year along is $1075. 2 year with the discount is about $1780 (normally $2080), and 3 year would be right under $2200 (normally around $2950ish). I could wait and do it year by year, but I'd be paying essentially $50-75ish plus the discounts that I'd miss from doing it all right now ($300 the first year, $450 the second year).

It sounds like after the brake replacement, all other services will be relatively minor - oil changes, wiper change, little things here and there that won't cost that much to replace. However, I've honestly had really good experiences with the BMW services and how efficiently they fix things. Just this week, I brought my car in for some minor repairs for them to look at, and they replaced my steering wheel AND rear view mirror.

What do you guys think? Based on the discounts that I'd be getting, should I go for all 3 years or just stick to 2? It's honestly a somewhat ease of mind knowing that for the next 3 years/75k miles, any little thing that might happen will be covered under the extension.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 07:46 PM   #2
atarivers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 xDrive35i M Sport

I like the 2 year deal. I think it's likely you will at least break even. Think about it, it doesn't take many repairs to build up a 2,000 in parts and labor. I drive a 2014 with 30,000 miles and a little more than a year of warranty time left. I plan to extend. I had a valve cover gasket replaced under warranty just last week. That sort of repair would have been close to four figures for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhoudaniell View Post
I drive a 2014 x3 with about 49000 miles on it. Since I'm about to be at the 50k mark, I decided that I wanted to go for the 1 year extended maintenance warranty, mainly just because I have my front/rear brakes pads + rotors replacement coming up, and that would cost me about $1600 USD alone.

On my computer, it says that they are both due in about 3200 miles, but the advisor said that they are usually never at the same time, and that he expects the rear ones to be due maybe in year 2 from now.

What's making me hesitant now is that there's actually a decent deal that BMW is offering - if I do 2 years, I get $300 rebate, and if I do 3 years, I get a $750 rebate.

Year 2 seems like it's the "insurance" year since my rear brakes may not need a replacing until then, but year 3 at this point is in consideration because of the discount.

For prices, 1 year along is $1075. 2 year with the discount is about $1780 (normally $2080), and 3 year would be right under $2200 (normally around $2950ish). I could wait and do it year by year, but I'd be paying essentially $50-75ish plus the discounts that I'd miss from doing it all right now ($300 the first year, $450 the second year).

It sounds like after the brake replacement, all other services will be relatively minor - oil changes, wiper change, little things here and there that won't cost that much to replace. However, I've honestly had really good experiences with the BMW services and how efficiently they fix things. Just this week, I brought my car in for some minor repairs for them to look at, and they replaced my steering wheel AND rear view mirror.

What do you guys think? Based on the discounts that I'd be getting, should I go for all 3 years or just stick to 2? It's honestly a somewhat ease of mind knowing that for the next 3 years/75k miles, any little thing that might happen will be covered under the extension.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 07:08 AM   #3
Dave340
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3

I own 2013 X3 with 53K miles with an in service date of Jan 2013.

I went ahead and purchased the 3yr/75K miles plan with the rebate just the other day. (you can purchased up to 60 months / 60K miles). I would not have done it otherwise without the rebate.

Few things to consider:
o Road side assistance is also extended
o Transferable to the next owner
o Everything else is excluded other than what is listed in the recommended maintenance booklet and the maintenance indicator system on the vehicle.
o No refund unless the vehicle is deemed total loss and has to be within 48 months / 50K miles. There is however, certain states, by law, you are able to obtain pro rata refund (full refund within 60 days and not used the plan yet), my state is listed, so if my X3 is a total loss I can obtain some money back. OP, Wisconsin is also listed, you should see this on the contract.

Hope this helps with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 12:58 PM   #4
zhoudaniell
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 x3

Yeah, I think the 2 year makes the most sense. Just wondering if it's worth it to go 3 since it's an exact $450 off, and would cover me in case of random things breaking here and there.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 07:22 PM   #5
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:

DO NOT DO IT!!! I purchased a 1yr maintenance contract. There is NOTHING the car will need that costs more than what you'll pay for the contract. It amounts to a very costly wiper blade/oil change policy. I did the same thing..the i-drive stated 3200 miles (coinincidence?????) and figuring I'd come out close to even, I bought the coverage. My wife has put on 14K and it STILL says 3200 miles!! I just had 2 dealers check the rotors and pads; the fronts have 70% left, the rears 90% and the rotors have tons of life left (in regards to thickness). Save your money. Seriously. The dealers can change the 'miles to' range at will and it seems like it defaults to 3200 at some point.

Last edited by CalCarNut; 12-18-2017 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #6
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Quote:

You should check but I remember reading somewhere that the 2014-2016 (something like that) X3 (or possibly another model) does not have their brakes covered under extended warranty.

Get it in writing from your Service Manager before purchasing.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 11:10 AM   #7
atarivers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 xDrive35i M Sport

I certainly recommend being crystal clear about what is and what is not covered by maintenance agreements. Brakes could be considered "consumables" but so could wiper blades. The subject of brakes came up as a consideration for extending maintenance. I think there are other considerations. It's all about what's covered. I would want to have the drivetrain covered at the minimum. I recently had a valve cover gasket replaced with a little more than 30,000 miles on my X3. It was of course covered by warranty. That repair would have been close to $1,000. I don't think it takes much over a two year period to recover warranty cost but of course you could always get lucky - or unlucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
You should check but I remember reading somewhere that the 2014-2016 (something like that) X3 (or possibly another model) does not have their brakes covered under extended warranty.

Get it in writing from your Service Manager before purchasing.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 04:33 PM   #8
AX3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 28i

When I bought my 2014 a few weeks ago I got an ins. policy for 4 years and 100,000 miles. I hated to do it (expensive) but reading things like timing chain guards lunching the motor with a $20 K price tag on it I did not want to take the chance. Even if that never happens everything on these cars is electronic and if they break you need to take out a mortgage to get it repaired. So I bit the bullet and got the best ins. policy I could. Maybe I'm foolish but we'll see.
Appreciate 0