BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #23
mspringer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i M-Sport/DHP

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Smile

Not a particularly good comparison. The likelihood of a flat is just a wee bit higher than an engine failure, and unlike engine failures flats can be readily addressed with little complication, a minimum of parts & tools, and little knowledge or skill.

You haven't haven't had flat in 30 years, that's great. I didn't have one in nearly 10, and then I had 3 in 12 months, including a sidewall blowout. I don't know about the condition of your roads, but ours certainly aren't getting better. The idea of an emergency kit, is just that to be suitable for emergencies.

As said earlier in the thread not everyone's situation is the same, and for folks who don't live in urban/suburban areas, and/or who frequently drive long distances from ones, RFTs and no spare can be a real problem.

By the way I've been driving BMWs since the 2002 era and have no desire to switch to Toyota. Audi maybe (no RFTs & a spare), but not Toyota :-) .
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #24
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Definitely a problem if you can be up to 100 miles or so away from tire shops, or the BMW dealer.

BMW are not going to redesign the vehicles with a wheel well any more, that era is over pretty much for sure. So we need to use trunk space if we carry a space saver, or a full size spare wheel.

I had this situation in the last BMW as I moved away from RFTs, so needed a mobility kit and a spare when in remote situations, or needed to keep mobile. Not ideal but needs must, if we want to keep with BMW. Current car, I'm keeping to RFTs, but will still carry a wheel if thought prudent when remote, to ensure mobility.

What about the X3, or other model users (including the M-cars) with non RFTs from factory? Their situation is even more critical, if they have a simple puncture, let alone a tire failure.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #25
Polar_Bimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 (F25) xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspringer View Post
I don't know about the condition of your roads
Roads in the province of Quebec in Canada are the worst in North America. That's why I did not want 19 "or 20" wheels, they are beautiful but uncomfortable and the sides are too fragile (Not enough rubber between the wheel and the road).
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #26
mspringer
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
M-cars don't have run-flats and come with slime kits. I have one in my M3, but wouldn't use it unless there was absolutely no alternative. Using it means the tire has to be replaced even if it's an otherwise repairable puncture because of balance problems. Similarly, the wheel has to be extensively cleaned, a real pain, and likely the sensors replaced. I put together a space saver spare and carry it in the trunk, and unfortunately have had to use it.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #27
mspringer
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Frank_Qc,

If they're worse than ours you have my sympathy. I agree with you on 19 and 20" tires, which is why I stayed on 18"s even though I'm running a sports package.

Marty
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #28
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck_Qc View Post
And do you hang as spare parts for the engine, it can also break and dealers may be far away. And if you have an accident, you also have spare parts? It may also happen.

Seriously, it's been almost 30 years since I've done a puncture. Yes it can happen just like a broken engine or an accident.

Statistically, there are more accidents than punctures or blow out a sidewall (unless your tires are finished, which can also cause an accident).

If you're scared, you stay home.

And be careful with the small spare tires, they are less high than the regular tires and you may burn a differential.
Dumbest post I've read in a long time.

Tire failures happen at the rate of 7 per second. On average, each person will have 5 flats in their lifetime. It's entirely cost effective and practical thing to prepare for. The notion of comparing it to engine problems is as absurd as your post. Having a spare RFT is a prudent and practical thing for some of us. Accommodating that would make the design better and grow the market. The snobs may not like it tho.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #29
Polar_Bimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 (F25) xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
Dumbest post I've read in a long time ... The notion of comparing it to engine problems is as absurd as your post. Having a spare RFT is a prudent and practical thing for some of us.
Hahaha
You are entitled to your opinion and I have mine. You do what you want and I'll do what I want.

And if one day I have a puncture that can not be repaired, I would spend two or three days in a pretty village to photography. This is not a problem for me

We are not in the Sahara desert. There are towns and villages everywhere.

Appreciate 0