BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #23
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Just to be clear...

I have a 2012 X3, BMW apps, adapter, BMW assist (no concierge), iPhone 4, iOS5, latest Pandora...

Pandora works okay as a "Plug In". So, no nice features like scrolling through your playlists, creating new playlists, changing playlists, thumbs up/down, skip etc. I think you can pause and resume. You still have all the normal Pandora options, but you have to access them from the actual iPhone, not the iDrive, which kind of defeats the purpose.

The "Music" app seems to work as designed. You can see your playlists, change them, fast forward, skip, etc. This is done through the Plug-In as advertised.

Has anyone figured out "Messages"? What are they? Are those iPhone messages, BMW Assist Messages, System/Car Messages, what.

Also, there's something out there about Google Maps and being able to send an address to your cars from Google Maps online. Has anyone got that to work? If so, please some instruction.

Lastly, has anyone used the BMW Assist Concierge Service? What is it and is it worth it. Not the accident notification, stolen cars stuff, the other package.

Thanks guys!

Packages | M-Sport | Cold I & II | Tech | Premium | Sound | BMW Apps, HUD, Net
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #24
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

For Google Send To Car, just go to Google Maps, enter a location, click Send, select Car and then enter your BMW Assist details. I think it's an email address in the US but you have to register. The location then appears as a message on iDrive. You can also send destinations to the car using the iPhone My BMW Remote app. Search "Google Send To Car" on this forum. Search isn't working for me at the moment so can't give you a link.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #25
KL
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 X-drive 2.0dA - 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd1014 View Post
Does anyone know if you can add BMW Apps after the fact. My X3 is due to come in next week and I didn't add this feature....I think I'm going to regret it.
I asked my dealer a few weeks ago and - yes it should be possible to install BMW Apps if you have the bluetooth and Professional sat nav. He had no clue on pricing but assumed you would pay for the time the car is "online" for the download...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #26
Robertsrj
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i coupe

iphone not working with usb connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3_n_Golf View Post
Updated to iOS5 on an iphone 3GS and everything working fine.
All the album artwork, playlist are there, and BMW connected works fine.
I also have an iPhone 3gs and upgraded it to ios 5. Using the USB cable, I seem to have lost the ability to see my music list. I have no control over what plays. Did you have to take any special steps after the ios 5 update or did your iphone just work as usual? I have a 2011 335i. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #27
X3_n_Golf
Rep
Drives: 328d Black Sapphire 2014

I only connected the iphone with the USB cable and everything was OK.
Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 08:56 PM   #28
iFroze
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

GenX3
To send Google's maps addresses to your Navigation system you do not need an iPhone. Just go to Google Maps web site - enter a desired address - click on the small envelop on the top right side of the page called "send" - in that small window on the left side select "Car" - on the right side select make "BMW" and you will get the option to enter your assist account name: which is the email address that you have given to "BMW Assist" people - Send
When you get back into your car that address will be received in your messages and your navigation will take you there
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #29
iFroze
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

picture?

I have a new iPhone 4S and the "old" iPhone 4, both with iOS 5. If I plug any one of them to my media adapter I can not get to play video anymore. I hear the sound, but no picture. I could watch movies or any other video clips on my iPhone 4 with iOS 4 but now its not available anymore. Did you guys get your video to work with these new phones and new iOS?

Otherwise this may be a lost feature now.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #30
Robertsrj
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsrj View Post
I also have an iPhone 3gs and upgraded it to ios 5. Using the USB cable, I seem to have lost the ability to see my music list. I have no control over what plays. Did you have to take any special steps after the ios 5 update or did your iphone just work as usual? I have a 2011 335i. Thanks!
In case anyone has the same problem, I was able to resolve it by re-syncing my music on my phone in itunes. I also had to power down the phone and re-start it. After that it worked as usual with the USB cable in the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #31
h0mersimps0n
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 35i M-Sport Carbon Black

Just took delivery - PDC is incredible!

Anyway I have BMW apps, iPhone 4, iOS5 and get pandora error "...need to update pandora, etc"

Searched but not found any solution.

Hoping for more apps soon too.

Pandora does work through Bluetooth and cable- just no I drive control
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #32
zlee11
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

Did anyone notice this:
Bluetooth address book entries no longer sort by company name.
I'm not 100% sure this worked ok under IOS 4.3, however, now under IOS5: Lets say you have ABC Company in your address book and John listed under first name of ABC Company. I'm pretty sure that BMW bluetooth used to display it as ABC Company. Now under IOS5, it displays as John. It's really annoying and quite worthless. Do you guys have the same behavior?

Does anyone have any idea how to up day the bluetooth software? I checked www.bmw.com/update. The listed software is very old. Is there a newer link?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 06:53 PM   #33
abliebowitz
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3

Iphone help

I got my x3 this past March. I love it! How do you use your iPhone with your car? I can only play My music if I plug it into the USB port. How do you do it via bluetooth?

Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 03:55 AM   #34
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abliebowitz View Post
I got my x3 this past March. I love it! How do you use your iPhone with your car? I can only play My music if I plug it into the USB port. How do you do it via bluetooth?

Am I missing something?
It needs to be plugged in to play music or paired using Bluetooth audio. For info on pairing see this thread:

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536121

iOS 5 will also allow you to see track information when paired using Bluetooth

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 12:31 AM   #35
dt__
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d

IOS5, iPhone4: I cannot change songs from multifunctional wheel when playing from iPhone (bluetooth or USB). From USB memory stick it works fine. Also it works fine from iDrive.

Anyone has similar problem?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 01:47 AM   #36
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt__ View Post
IOS5, iPhone4: I cannot change songs from multifunctional wheel when playing from iPhone (bluetooth or USB). From USB memory stick it works fine. Also it works fine from iDrive.

Anyone has similar problem?
I have an iPhone 4 + iOS 5 but haven't tried playing music since upgrading the OS. Will check later and let you know. Will be annoyed if this isn't working

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #37
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Pandora just posted a pretty nice update that integrates better with IOS 5 and most importantly, fixes BMW/Mini integration.

The only puzzling piece is that they're asking users to keep their IOS device unlocked while using...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #38
dt__
Registered
Rep

I test everything again:
-over USB everything works fine, including multifunctional wheel
-under IOS5 bluetooth audio send playlist from iPhone to the car and you can change songs using iDrive but doesn't work to change them from the multifunctional wheel! Looks like a bug to me and has nothing to do with bluetooth.
-Under IOS4 bluetooth audio cannot send track info but you can change the song from iPhone directly.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #39
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

I have an iPhone 4 with ios5 and the multifunction buttons continue to work fine. I plug my iPhone in via USB rather than Bluetooth stream.

I have had the battery issue though on my iPhone since the upgrade ie sometimes it drains the battery within 3 to 4 hours.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #40
dt__
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Daddy-O View Post
I have an iPhone 4 with ios5 and the multifunction buttons continue to work fine. I plug my iPhone in via USB rather than Bluetooth stream.
As I said, I checked again today and USB works fine, only under bluetooth stream the multifunction scroll whell doesn't work. But you can change songs from iDrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Daddy-O View Post
I have had the battery issue though on my iPhone since the upgrade ie sometimes it drains the battery within 3 to 4 hours.
It's a known problem with IOS5. Try to disable iCloud services.
Appreciate 0