BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

BMW Paint

Some of you may know of the mineral hardness scale. Here is my proposed hardness scale for car paint. In order of increasing hardness. 1. Water Colors 2. Crayons 3. BMW paint 4. Yagu paint 5. Volga paint 6. Other Autos

Had a pterodactyl crap on my X3 yesterday. Washed it off within an hour. The car had sealant plus paste wax and the paint still was marred. Four ~2in. spots. I tried clay and scratch remover. Helped a little. The clear coat seems mottled and you can still see the spots on an angle. Luckily they're not visible straight on. First car I've ever had that bird crap caused a paint problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
Some of you may know of the mineral hardness scale. Here is my proposed hardness scale for car paint. In order of increasing hardness. 1. Water Colors 2. Crayons 3. BMW paint 4. Yagu paint 5. Volga paint 6. Other Autos

Had a pterodactyl crap on my X3 yesterday. Washed it off within an hour. The car had sealant plus paste wax and the paint still was marred. Four ~2in. spots. I tried clay and scratch remover. Helped a little. The clear coat seems mottled and you can still see the spots on an angle. Luckily they're not visible straight on. First car I've ever had that bird crap caused a paint problem.

I am guessing what you're describing is that it "etched" the clear coat -- sound right? If so, I've seen that on almost every make of car. It boggles the mind how quickly it can happen. Whatever birds eat, it's pretty damn destructive when it comes out the business end...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

BMW like most of the auto industry has switched to water based paints for environmental reasons. These paints are much softer, and much easier to scratch or chemically damage. Honda was one of the first to go to water-based automotive coatings (In 1997, I believe) and their paints are still very easy to damage, but much better than a decade ago.

It's the current price we pay for a somewhat "greener" environment.

See:http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/adv...-based-paint-/

My Lotus is painted with a "High- VOC" lacquer, that is now difficult to purchase in the US because its sale is illegal in several states. Some states are even regulating the sale of certain types of spray guns. In Minnesota, you can buy a semi-automatic handgun, but not an “old style” low-efficiency automotive paint spray gun.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Seriously, if you've ever tried painting your ride with a Glock-17, you feel Lotus7's pain . . . cases of bondo, days of sanding, there's just no substitution for a real spray gun and a good lacquer.
      08-14-2011, 12:25 AM   #5
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Seriously, if you've ever tried painting your ride with a Glock-17, you feel Lotus7's pain . . . cases of bondo, days of sanding, there's just no substitution for a real spray gun and a good lacquer.
Love it!
and the good lacquer even smells better.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

The protective coating my Mercedes dealer put on my C63 is amazing, 22,000 miles and not even a rock chip on the hood, never had a car like that, and it doesn't need to be waxed. Dealer price was $299 and included a leather interior protective coating as well. I need to find out how to get this on my future X3.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
The protective coating my Mercedes dealer put on my C63 is amazing, 22,000 miles and not even a rock chip on the hood, never had a car like that, and it doesn't need to be waxed. Dealer price was $299 and included a leather interior protective coating as well. I need to find out how to get this on my future X3.
Talk to your Mercedes dealer.
Things like protective coatings are a profit item for them. They would probably be happy to apply it to any car.

What product was it?
Appreciate 0