BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-13-2020, 08:49 PM   #1
ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

shudder on acceleration from stop

My '16 35i with 60k has a minor vibration/shudder on acceleration from a stop and in lower gears on heavy acceleration.

Cruising it's smooth.

I've changed all fluids (differentials, transmission/filter, transfer case) and there were no changes in behavior. I followed the BMW troubleshooting guide for transfer case and holding RPMs at 2500 has no vibration and slowly releasing brake doing the same is smooth takeoff.

I've also confirmed no transfer case bind when slow sharp turning. I don't think it has anything to do with transfer case clutches.

It's not ignition related either, new coils and plugs and there are zero misfires according to Torque App tests.

It feels like a driveshaft vibration. I took a peek at the carrier bearing and this is what I saw...these black spots on the bushing around the bearing look like pieces chunked out..no clue what would cause this.

I've mostly seen threads of these symptoms to be transfer case concerns. I still need to get under the car properly and disconnect the transfer case and rule it out altogether but this carrier bearing looks suspicious to me.

Any ideas? Could the previous owner have replaced this and used a screw driver or something to hammer away at the bushing instead of the bearing?

Last edited by ga9213; 10-13-2020 at 08:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 02:14 PM   #2
Rube
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga9213 View Post
My '16 35i with 60k has a minor vibration/shudder on acceleration from a stop and in lower gears on heavy acceleration.

Cruising it's smooth.

I've changed all fluids (differentials, transmission/filter, transfer case) and there were no changes in behavior. I followed the BMW troubleshooting guide for transfer case and holding RPMs at 2500 has no vibration and slowly releasing brake doing the same is smooth takeoff.

I've also confirmed no transfer case bind when slow sharp turning. I don't think it has anything to do with transfer case clutches.

It's not ignition related either, new coils and plugs and there are zero misfires according to Torque App tests.

It feels like a driveshaft vibration. I took a peek at the carrier bearing and this is what I saw...these black spots on the bushing around the bearing look like pieces chunked out..no clue what would cause this.

I've mostly seen threads of these symptoms to be transfer case concerns. I still need to get under the car properly and disconnect the transfer case and rule it out altogether but this carrier bearing looks suspicious to me.

Any ideas? Could the previous owner have replaced this and used a screw driver or something to hammer away at the bushing instead of the bearing?
I have the same vibration, i feel it right under my seat which made me suspect the carrier bearing and/or giubo. Did you ever get to the bottom of this?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 02:21 PM   #3
ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube View Post
I have the same vibration, i feel it right under my seat which made me suspect the carrier bearing and/or giubo. Did you ever get to the bottom of this?
I'm actually installing a new driveshaft this evening. My guess is prior owner replaced carrier bearing which is why I'm seeing the chunks, and perhaps didn't reinstall in same position and got it out of balance.

Will let you know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 03:50 PM   #4
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Soon BMW

It is a normal problem that the driveshaft joints get some play in them on the xdrive system, most likely it.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 08:37 PM   #5
ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well didn't have a tool large enough for the rear driveshaft but but the weirdness on the carrier bearing is actually just an exterior layer of the rubber flaking off. Will have to get a tool and then replace the driveshaft and see if anything changes. Doubting it at this point.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 09:28 AM   #6
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga9213 View Post
Well didn't have a tool large enough for the rear driveshaft but but the weirdness on the carrier bearing is actually just an exterior layer of the rubber flaking off. Will have to get a tool and then replace the driveshaft and see if anything changes. Doubting it at this point.
That rubber thing is the rear seal. If it were to fail, you would be leaking oil. It shouldn't cause vibration. Hope the new driveshaft makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 04:00 PM   #7
ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Got it sorted. As we took off the original driveshaft I noticed the slip yolk was completely seized.

So without that yolk able to move the driveline was binding on acceleration. New driveshaft's yolk was plenty lubricated and now it's smooth as butter.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 08:04 AM   #8
SmallDave
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i Sport Package

Thanks for sharing, I've had this issue with my '11 35i since purchased a few years ago. Changed driveshaft bearing which was severely warn but only helped slightly. Looks like I'll be looking into this next!
Appreciate 0