BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-30-2022, 10:41 PM   #1
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30, 06 325i, 07 328i

Please tell me i didnt just damage my transmission!

Today I put my 2006 E83 up on ramps in my driveway to get under and inspect for coolant leaks. The front end of the X3 was slightly higher than the rear end. I had the engine running for several minutes and went to check the temp guage to make sure the motor wasn't getting hot when I noticed the gear icon with the exclamation point inside which is for the transmission. I'm not sure how long the light was on but I turned off the car and several minutes later started it to back down off the ramps and it was very hard to shift into reverse and than again into drive after letting the car sit several hours still it's shifting very rough and now clunks into gears with a knock sound. Did I damage something ? What should I do first to figure out whats happening I have the m54 enigjne with over 150k miles any advice is greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 02:43 PM   #2
David0ff
Combined Applications Group
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lada Scrapus Trofeo R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_MSport View Post
Today I put my 2006 E83 up on ramps in my driveway to get under and inspect for coolant leaks. The front end of the X3 was slightly higher than the rear end. I had the engine running for several minutes and went to check the temp guage to make sure the motor wasn't getting hot when I noticed the gear icon with the exclamation point inside which is for the transmission. I'm not sure how long the light was on but I turned off the car and several minutes later started it to back down off the ramps and it was very hard to shift into reverse and than again into drive after letting the car sit several hours still it's shifting very rough and now clunks into gears with a knock sound. Did I damage something ? What should I do first to figure out whats happening I have the m54 enigjne with over 150k miles any advice is greatly appreciated
From what you described, nothing you did can damage the transmission or anything else. I don't know too much about automatic transmissions unfortunately so I can suggest anything.
      02-03-2022, 10:01 AM   #3
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X3 35iX/'20 440ix cabrio

First step is to make sure you have sufficient transmission fluid. The procedure is a PITA but typical for modern transmissions.
2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio w/MPPSK - This car is a blast to drive.
Appreciate 0