BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-26-2012, 04:44 AM   #1
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

BMW Representation

Having read this and other forums for a while now I can't help but wonder if BMW read/constitute to these forums.

My guess is that they don't.

It is thanks to the passionate informed or belligerent individuals who mange to unearth information which answers our nagging concerns or unearth this gems whose revelation can add that much more joy.

I recently read "what would google do" and while it is very one sided, has many interesting and useful perspectives on customer engagement.

As much as I like my dealer and am
very much looking forward to my new
X3 if and when it eventually arrives, I can't help thinking that BMW could REALLY up their game on customer interaction, dealer support and overall better global consistency.

I know I miss Lotus7, and it made me think that we could benefit from someone "in the know" who could speak freely and informally and help guide us through the good and the bad.

Of course this is a double edged sword ... And I understand that ... I think ...

But access to some real facts and a channel for informal dialog would surely help all?

For sure my interactions with BMW customer services are currently frustrating me and it feels very much like corporate PR brush off ... But I think they actually want to help ... So there is hope yet ...

I write this having sent them an email questioning delivery times, throttle response and 6NR confusions to make a point that these are all unnecessary detriments to the customer experience.

I recognise that mine is just a point of view, and also one from a particular context, but I am eager to get a representative view and then push it a bit harder ...

I have invited BMW to read this forum rather than answer my concerns ...

So, thoughts?
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 04:48 AM   #2
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

When I had a BMW regional rep test drive my car he said he'd just checked the forums for other people reporting wind noise issues. So some individuals will be checking the forums at the very least.

I also wonder about throttle response on my 30D, sport mode is so much better so it's clear it's not turbo lag. I think the diesels have the same issue as the petrol X3s.
      04-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I can see some pointed-headed corporate lawyer advising BMW to avoid the public forums like the plague.

Corporations IMO would rather minimize "exposure" than participate in a forum where a good intentioned BMW employee could put the corporation on the wrong side of a legal dispute.

What we need is a good mole in Munich.

p.s. based on my BMW customer services experiences I have to wonder if the service have been contracted out to a third party.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Its difficult to prove but I felt many a times that BMW reps do participate in the forums though they do not admit.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 11:57 PM   #5
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The guy who wrote the google book advocates that people at all levels engage with customer.

I understand the risk of having things recorded, and hence all the pros and cons for both sides. Sadly it is likely to result in a more guarded interaction, but I wonder if a CA isn't already guarded when they say something that might not quite be in their favour.

From my perspective, I am quite happy for it to be unofficial as long as it is well intentioned and honest, informed and actually knows the facts.

At times I have had 3 conflicting answers from senior authorities at different BMW sources and it defies belief!

I think it would be nice to have an unnoticeable inside representative from BMW, you would never know, but long as quality information flows in a timely manner that's a HUGE improvement.
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
Desmoduece
ESA Vorderbau X3
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

[QUOTE=Horsey;11836019]Having read this and other forums for a while now I can't help but wonder if BMW read/constitute to these forums.

My guess is that they don't.

QUOTE]

Yes we do...so do peeps at mercedes and toyota, but normally they are flies on the wall....
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #7
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmoduece
Yes we do...so do peeps at mercedes and toyota, but normally they are flies on the wall....
Thanks for de-lurking.

I will shut up now!

Now if we can just find a design engineer from Munich there will be someone from both ends ... :-)

Some of us here have seen the Mega Factories video, and each time you post that's what I imagine. Sadly us Brits dong get to see the videos of our cars being made :-( ... But MF was excelent.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
Desmoduece
ESA Vorderbau X3
United_States
Rep

There are some pics of the new shop on bmwusfactory.com news center.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 02:07 AM   #9
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh
I can see some pointed-headed corporate lawyer advising BMW to avoid the public forums like the plague.

Corporations IMO would rather minimize "exposure" than participate in a forum where a good intentioned BMW employee could put the corporation on the wrong side of a legal dispute.

What we need is a good mole in Munich.

p.s. based on my BMW customer services experiences I have to wonder if the service have been contracted out to a third party.
"Deep Throttle" perhaps?

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 06:52 AM   #10
jk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 x3 35i

there's at least one guy who works at the pcd who participates in the pcd subforum at bimmerfest.com
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #11
Desmoduece
ESA Vorderbau X3
United_States
Rep

Why not, we all can't live sheltered lives. Besides, I think it's good to enjoy what you do and be proud of what you are making. I can think of more than one person that hates their job.
I'm kind of partial to the X3, this is the first line I watched being made from really the ground(dirt) up to the finished product. It's like my child.....kind of creepy.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 08:04 AM   #12
tpup
Rep
Drives: Yugo

Des - I'd be interested in your thoughts of others on these forums. Do you agree with some of the gripes? Like the concerns about the Nav or why the scroll wheel on the steering wheel doesn't scroll the Nav display when going thru radio stations or etc? Also, what is your role with BMW?

Just curious,
T
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #13
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm kind of partial to the X3, this is the first line I watched being made from really the ground(dirt) up to the finished product. It's like my child.....kind of creepy.
I can't believe how quickly you guys managed to build the factory extension ... over here it would take like forever (and a day).
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #14
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Why not, we all can't live sheltered lives. Besides, I think it's good to enjoy what you do and be proud of what you are making. I can think of more than one person that hates their job.
I don't think that's the point ... I always wonder what a companies policy on employees talking in public about the company or it's products. I imagine it takes a very progressive company to recognise the value of open engagement with the public. For sure it would be a sign of a a very switched on company which was happy to eat its own dog food and was sure to have a holistic approach to business.

But honestly, I can't think of any companies which realy extol or exemplify those virtues. Not yet anyway...

I know that circumstances can make choices hard and not everybody has that luxury, but I think it is really important to enjoy your work ... You only have one life and have to make it count.

I think reading posts from someone who may have had a part to play in the building of something that will be a significant part of my life, and that there was passion behind it will make it all the more meaningful and special.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #15
x3driverUK
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsey View Post

I think reading posts from someone who may have had a part to play in the building of something that will be a significant part of my life, and that there was passion behind it will make it all the more meaningful and special.
Seriously?

Bucket please.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #16
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3driverUK
Seriously?

Bucket please.
Yes, sorry,I know that was a bit sick inducing, but I mean it ...

Your just heartless!

Maybe I should be buying something with the production teams names engraved somewhere under the bonnet? But I fancy an X3 ...

Don't know about you, but I take real pride in my work and I don't do it for people who don't care.

This world is too anonymous ...

Not enough accountability or passion, but this is wayyy of topic!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #17
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

VAG has tried that over at VWVORTEX with online chats. It's always some marketing dude rather than an engineer.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #18
Desmoduece
ESA Vorderbau X3
United_States
Rep

My job with BMW is called ESA which is a multi-skilled position that incorporates line building, robot programming, weld quality, dimensional quality, etc. So really it's like being a welder, machinist,electrician, mill wright, programmer, heavy equipment operator, janitor...all in one!
Everything can't be perfect and yes I have came across issues with BMWs like the Idrive wheel...don't like it, the multi function shifter.....don't like it. I also think the X5s steering feesl stiff as a piece of wood but at speed....100mph it seems great but there is no real happy medium.
As far as company policy is concerned, they just say carry out in a way that is not negative to the company....thats mostly applied to our e mail system.
I love the looks of the X3 but is too small for my four kids, so I got a car that Nobody could fit in. I really wanted a Ferrari 355 spider but could not get past the chessy interior or terrible maintenance schedule reminded me of my Ducati days.

Last edited by Desmoduece; 04-29-2012 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #19
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsey View Post
I can't believe how quickly you guys managed to build the factory extension ... over here it would take like forever (and a day).
Rubbish! We have one of the most productive auto factories in the world up here.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #20
tpup
Rep
Drives: Yugo

Thanks Des. Can you give us info on the Nav system? Is there anything we can do for more accuracy? A download, update, or etc? I had my 3rd issue in 5 days of ownership and like many reviews, I simply can't trust it at this point. 1) Nav had me do a u-turn on the interstate. 2) Nav doesn't have my subdivision and it's been here for 7yrs. 3) couldn't locate the first cemetery created in Peoria, IL. I would pay (reluctantly) for a much needed improvement. Do you have knowledge on the real issue (software, algorithm, 3rd party)? I love the car so far, but this Nav issue is buggin' me.

Thanks,
T
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 11:03 PM   #21
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
Rubbish! We have one of the most productive auto factories in the world up here.
I don't dispute that the factory is productive ... but how long did it take to build it? Or maybe it's just down south that construction happens really slooowwwwly (I am sure there are exceptions).

Last edited by Horsey; 04-29-2012 at 11:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #22
Desmoduece
ESA Vorderbau X3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpup View Post
Thanks Des. Can you give us info on the Nav system? Is there anything we can do for more accuracy? A download, update, or etc? I had my 3rd issue in 5 days of ownership and like many reviews, I simply can't trust it at this point. 1) Nav had me do a u-turn on the interstate. 2) Nav doesn't have my subdivision and it's been here for 7yrs. 3) couldn't locate the first cemetery created in Peoria, IL. I would pay (reluctantly) for a much needed improvement. Do you have knowledge on the real issue (software, algorithm, 3rd party)? I love the car so far, but this Nav issue is buggin' me.

Thanks,
T
I'm waiting on an email from a guy that would really shed light, but I talked with several people that has or had them and all the answers were: accurate for places of business but had trouble with someones personal address or roads that go to a field. One of the guys has Nav but didn't know it. (company car). My Irish friend says it's spot on which I think is good.
I thought I had problems with my wifes' Escalade but it was because we would take it out of the garage and expected it to work but it was because the satellites had to "link up" or whatever they do and the system calculates the info, it was then after that when it became accurate. Every time we use it now we get on the road for about 10 min before listening to it.
At the plant we get then in a big plastic bin from the supplier with everything ready to go and we put them in, so we really don't do much to them here.
All in all everyone that I spoke with today say they liked it but it has it's flaws..geez it couldn't be as bad as the one in the Infinity...
Appreciate 0