BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-12-2011, 07:09 AM   #287
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Still waiting on mine. Dealership says 18th. The 1m was 6 days early but doesn't look like it this time.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 07:37 AM   #288
ppduck
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

thanks and will try now....
btw, i ordered mine on 20 August 2011
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 08:29 AM   #289
burnside
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0D

Pick up tomorrow.....
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #290
ppduck
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

good on you, please post some photos when u got your car....
cheers...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #291
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Still waiting on mine. Dealership says 18th. The 1m was 6 days early but doesn't look like it this time.
Seems pessimistic.
Mine was available on Wednesday and it only arrived on a boat the day before yours.
Perhaps there is a mass of cars coming through the detailer / customs clearance in Brisbane this week.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 12:50 AM   #292
S70IP
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 20d

I ordered mine on May 4th.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 01:11 AM   #293
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by S70IP View Post
I ordered mine on May 4th.
Certainly are some strange delivery times. Ordered mine in mid-late May and got it in mid-August. But soon you guys will be experiencing what I've had for nearly 2 months now so I hope that makes up for it.

Tony.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 01:55 AM   #294
S70IP
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
Certainly are some strange delivery times. Ordered mine in mid-late May and got it in mid-August. But soon you guys will be experiencing what I've had for nearly 2 months now so I hope that makes up for it.

Tony.
My dealer basically bull$$hitted me his delivery slots. Originally said August, then changed after that when I'd signed up. What are you gonna do?
Car salesman, lawyers, real-estate salesman and bankers. Lying is part of their job.
That's how it is.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 06:59 AM   #295
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M / CLA45 AMG SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by S70IP View Post
My dealer basically bull$$hitted me his delivery slots. Originally said August, then changed after that when I'd signed up. What are you gonna do?
Car salesman, lawyers, real-estate salesman and bankers. Lying is part of their job.
That's how it is.
I was told 6 months, but I believe more as a sales tactic than a concrete delivery time.

Could be 6 months, not bothered either way - just want to know one way or another so I can make plans...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 05:07 AM   #296
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Finally my car is booked for transport today - but delivery to the Sunny Coast is at the moment booked for the 19th..!!!! Still in port and not yet at Fisherman's Island.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 11:25 PM   #297
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
And they're racing!

First pic of the new X3.

(dissappointing photo huh?)

I will probably take delivery in the next day or so. This shot is from the DVD installer who has had the car for the last week. He is taking it back to the dealer for me this afternoon.

I'll take some more representative shots when I get the keys...
Attached Images

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 12:07 AM   #298
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Finally, mine's arrived at the dealership today.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #299
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Picked up the car yesterday! Initial impression is very good in terms of how it drives, but it only involves a 15 minutes drive picking up a pizza - so now the new car smell has been replaced with pizza smell. Sorry, haven't got a chance to take any pics yet but will post on the weekend.

I am glad I have ordered the sport suspension as the car drives more like a car than the 20d I test drove, and the response from the 30d was much much better than the 20d and so it should be.

The cabin felt comfortable and the sports seats are good. The arm rest is a little low for my preferred higher driving position, but I will lower it a bit to see if I can find a compromise.

Finishing quality is definitely not as good as my previous German made BMWs. The material used and the feel is more luxurious, but trims are not flushed, stitching on the seats are not perfect, and the paint of the internal side is untidy and some places have bubbles but definitely much better than the test car I drove. No issue with external paint however.

A little bit regret that I didn't get the M sports as it looks a bit funny the way the black bumper "joins up" the tyres, but I do prefer the black surrounds around the wheel arches and the front bumper - makes it looks more like real 4WD . Also should have ordered the adaptive headlights, but the vision is still pretty good probably because of the higher driving position.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #300
DocX
Rep
Drives: Subaru Liberty GT

New to BMW

Hi All
I am new here and never owned a BMW before. I am considering getting a new X3 3.0D and wondering what people think about the new X3, such as performance, reliability, comfort etc.
I live in country NSW, Australia a good 3 hour drive of mixed highway and twisty up/down hill roads from Sydney. My current drive is a Subaru Liberty GT with some STi suspension modifications. It's a great performance car but little too harsh and uncomfortable now for my pregnant wife.
I think X3 will be a good choice with more room for our first child and a good blend of performance and comfort.
However, it's just from reading reviews and forum, I am yet to test drive the real thing.
I am wondering what people think.
Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 11:57 PM   #301
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocX View Post
Hi All
I am new here and never owned a BMW before. I am considering getting a new X3 3.0D and wondering what people think about the new X3, such as performance, reliability, comfort etc.
I live in country NSW, Australia a good 3 hour drive of mixed highway and twisty up/down hill roads from Sydney. My current drive is a Subaru Liberty GT with some STi suspension modifications. It's a great performance car but little too harsh and uncomfortable now for my pregnant wife.
I think X3 will be a good choice with more room for our first child and a good blend of performance and comfort.
However, it's just from reading reviews and forum, I am yet to test drive the real thing.
I am wondering what people think.
Cheers!
Sounds like this will be a great car for you - great blend of performance and comfort. We are expecting our first and changed it to X3. Other considered was 520d Touring and X5.

There had always been some reliability issues with each of my BMWs, such as door locks, lights, sunroof, steering sensor, squeaky brakes, air con, electric windows, fuel pump - just to name a few. They are minor problems, and they always get fixed, but just a bit annoying even they pick up my car for me. Having said that, I am still buying them.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 12:19 AM   #302
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hi All
Cheers!
I cannot be more happy with my choice of a X3 30d. It too has been my first BMW and I did not go into its purchase lightly. Our previous car was an XC70 - which while lacking in driving dynamics - was a very comfortable acr particuilarly over badly maintained country roads including dirt road. This X3 is - in my opinion - has even a better ride then the XC70 and of course miles ahead in handling & steering.

Only word of caution to you as a country driver (and what I'm going to say will not come as a surprise to those who have seen my other posts) is the issue of the OEM runflat tyres. By all means do your own research, but what I expect you to find is that there is next to no support for either the repair or replacement of the runflats outside the capital cities. To may wish (or not) to follow what I have done in replacing the runflats with conventional tyres and a full size spare tied down in the back. Though based in the city, with the amount of country driving that I do I wasn't going to let the issue of the tyres stop me from the purchase of a great car.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 05:18 AM   #303
DocX
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Finishing quality is definitely not as good as my previous German made BMWs. The material used and the feel is more luxurious, but trims are not flushed, stitching on the seats are not perfect, and the paint of the internal side is untidy and some places have bubbles but definitely much better than the test car I drove. No issue with external paint however.
Is there a clear quality difference between German made and US made BMWs? As far as I know, all new X3s are made in US.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #304
DocX
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
Only word of caution to you as a country driver (and what I'm going to say will not come as a surprise to those who have seen my other posts) is the issue of the OEM runflat tyres. By all means do your own research, but what I expect you to find is that there is next to no support for either the repair or replacement of the runflats outside the capital cities. To may wish (or not) to follow what I have done in replacing the runflats with conventional tyres and a full size spare tied down in the back. Though based in the city, with the amount of country driving that I do I wasn't going to let the issue of the tyres stop me from the purchase of a great car.
Tony
I am pretty sure our local guys won't stock those runflats. Is the tied down spare a dealer option or aftermarket? I am just wondering where and how you tie the spare.
Since I never had a beemer before, I am assuming runflat tyre means you can still drive when they bust, but just slower. I'm thinking of keeping a couple spare runflats in my garage and have the locals replace them should the unfortunate happens.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 12:06 AM   #305
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
The day has come...

24 hour rule obeyed. Pictures from this morning (it was getting dark when I collected it last night)

Car:
X3 30d M Sport
Trim:
Carbon Black + Black + Fineline Wave
Options:
Everything - Sunroof - HUD

Impressions - great.
no complaints.
Just as I imagined. (although I will go easy on the loud pedal until she has some miles on the clock)

Enjoy the snaps.
Attached Images

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 01:57 AM   #306
DocX
Rep

congrats!
Looks really great, and good choice of colours, too.
Mind if I ask what sort of price would I be looking at with something similar to yours (without the TVs)?
Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 02:08 AM   #307
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
congrats!
Looks really great, and good choice of colours, too.
Mind if I ask what sort of price would I be looking at with something similar to yours (without the TVs)?
Cheers!
List price would be about 103k.

Professional package - drop about $4K (dealer delivery discount and free servicing)
Haggle away for any more...
But note the waiting list is months so they dont like giving discounts unless you have a good buying relationship with them, especially on the 30d.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 03:42 AM   #308
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep

Great looking pictures Dr Stig - I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as we have ours. Certainly worth the wait.

Quote:
I am pretty sure our local guys won't stock those runflats. Is the tied down spare a dealer option or aftermarket? I am just wondering where and how you tie the spare.
Since I never had a beemer before, I am assuming runflat tyre means you can still drive when they bust, but just slower. I'm thinking of keeping a couple spare runflats in my garage and have the locals replace them should the unfortunate happens.
Conventional tyres and a spare are aftermarket - BMW dealers can only deliver the car with runflats. The spare can be tied down in the back using the tie-down rails (which are conventiently set at more-or-less the exact distance apart for the tyre) , eye-bolts and restraining net all of which are standard on Aussie-spec X3s. I've since replaced the light-weight restraining net with a proper tensioning straps. And if you have a spare - don't forget a jack (suitable for the BMW) and a tyre nut wench.

Yes runflats allow you to continue on after a puncture for 80-200 kms (depending on load) @ 80km/h. Keeping a couple of spare runflats is one alternative but just be aware of the "life" of a tyre (generally recommended to be 5-6 years) and make sure you rotate them through being used as you replace the car tyres due to normal wear. Also those spares sitting in your garage are not going to be much use if the puncture occurs some distance from home.

Tony

Last edited by brissim; 10-22-2011 at 03:44 AM.. Reason: correct spelling
Appreciate 0