BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-28-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
Drnelly
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

My X3 has become a lemon

If you clicked through to this post, thank you. Word of advice, this is a long post, it is serving me as brain escape as well as a desperate cry for word of consolation from the members of the forum. I hope this read is both informative, helpful or both for those dealing with the same issues I am.

I'll start my story by stating that I loved my X3, I loved its mildly imposing but respectable character on the road, its interior, its practicability, its planted stance and its overall sense of robustness. I did not like, however, the considerable acceleration lag when asked or needed, the overall ride quality, the louder-than-a-corolla wind/traffic noise and the lack of communication from the steering.

Now that I've dispatched my precedents, I will provide you with a detailed timeline of the woes that my X3 has had me subjected to over the last 8 months.

Chapter 1: Inception (120 miles)
I took delivery of the car the last week of February, just as I drove the car out of the dealership I noticed the car hadn't been as meticulously detailed as I would have hoped. As I pulled into my driveway and inspected the car closely I discovered several factory glue spots on the trunk, panoramic roof, driver's window. As I continued my inspection I discovered that the Sienna wood trim was spotted and unfinished on all the six pieces of wood trim the car shipped with. Also the usb connection would output clipping noises when playing any mp3 song.

First visit to the dealership regarding the wood trim, the clipping noises and a small electric problem with the locks not being responsive, granted me with a 5 day part ordering wait and 1 day installation...

Chapter 2: Waking up to a whistle (2800 miles)
About 2 months after barely driving the car, I started noticing a subtle whistle/squeal coming from the front breaks. I assumed everything was under normal operation and continued using the car until the subtle sporadic whistle became a constant, loudly pitched squeal that would appear after 15 min of moderate stop and go traffic. Meanwhile, I discovered water spots on the cover of the trunk one random morning. Didn't pay much attention as I was traveling for weeks and didn't have the time to deal with the car.

Second visit to the dealership became an 8 day wait/detect/repair/test carousel of phone calls from the service dpt. Got my car back after being promised the squeal was gone and that the water leak in the trunk had been fixed by replacing gaskets and rubber seals. As I turned around the block and heard the squeal/whistle again, now mixed up with a brake clunk every time I hit the brakes with the auto-hold function activated. This time the squeal and clunks are happening when driving at moderate speeds, my patience started its countdown to zero. Took the car back in, left it at the service dpt. for an additional 3 nights to revisit the braking/clunking issue. Got the car back and the squeal/clunk was still there but had no time to get the car back to the dealer as I had been traveling.

Chapter 3: Irene (4500 miles)
The morning Irene left, I went out to check on the car and found 5 large water puddles resting on the trunk cover and a considerable amount of condensation inside the car that had inevitably fogged windows and clusters. I also noticed that the rear left door was sipping drops of water with any substantial rain.

Last Friday (5200 miles), I took the car in for the fifth time in 3 months (3rd time for the leaks, 4th time for the breaks), I was told that the issue would try to be resolved in less than 48 hours and that my car would get the utmost attention from the service dpt. However, they couldn't promise the car would be 100% fixed, they sounded almost as if they were starting to give up on the issues. This was 5 days ago, therefore technically my car has become a lemon by way of tries and by way of days being serviced. As of tonight the service dpt. is still awaiting for parts they need to replace the front brakes and are actively water testing the 3 leaky points after replacing the gaskets and seals for the third time in 2 months.

Bottom line: I decided to take the "nice guy" approach with the dealership and decided not to write the lemon letter to BMW NA (even though the car already is one legally) so I can discuss a replacement/compensation for all the inconvenience and time spent without my car.

The dealership is being cooperative within its limits, and I really can't blame the service dpt. for not doing its job, instead, I blame BMW QA acceptance methods and manufacturing defects that allow a car like mine to make it out of the factory. Needless to say, I will not be getting another X3 as a replacement. I am planning on getting a 5 series with the same exact options as the X3.

I will keep you posted with the end of my story, if you're still reading, BRAVO! and Thank you!

Cheers.
      09-28-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I really hate that lazy throttle also. If it's meant as a fuel saving design, let the god damn driver be easy on the throttle instead of forcing it. Good luck with the car. My car is in for a paint defect in the front passenger door, the customer service rep is promising I wont be able to tell...we'll see. Also hope they can address the rear seat cushions not closing enough thus exposing the latch hooks.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
ugh sorry your experience is so bad - how long ago did you take delivery? obviously been a few months since you have 5000 miles?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Sorry to hear about your problems. It's hard to believe a single car could have so much wrong with it.

I've never known a car of any age to leak during rain. Completely unacceptable.

Wind noise from the mirror seems to be a common complaint. I'm not surprised as the wind facing side is fairly flat, not nearly as curved as other cars. Dumb design, unacceptable to have passed initial testing. I can only hope they made a tweak to the mirror shape for 2012.

I've seen several posts stating exterior noise is loud in general, especially compared to Mercedes counterpart. Disappointing to hear. Can't say I noticed excess noise during my test drive, but I was focused on having fun with the 35i acceleration. You got me worried now, feeling buyers remorse. I should have mine in a month and hope I don't have your experience.

What dealership are you working with?

Good luck. Let us know how everything turns out.
      09-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
I really hate that lazy throttle also. If it's meant as a fuel saving design, let the god damn driver be easy on the throttle instead of forcing it.
My IS250 developed throttle lag about 4 months ago. Not sure how that's possible. I didn't notice throttle lag during my test drive, but I wasn't paying attention for it.

I'd hope it's something that could be corrected via a software update, like the start-up rpm fluctuations, but if it is a fuel saving feature I doubt they'll get rid of it.

Is it true there is no throttle lag when using sports mode?
      09-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #6
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
My IS250 developed throttle lag about 4 months ago. Not sure how that's possible. I didn't notice throttle lag during my test drive, but I wasn't paying attention for it.

I'd hope it's something that could be corrected via a software update, like the start-up rpm fluctuations, but if it is a fuel saving feature I doubt they'll get rid of it.

Is it true there is no throttle lag when using sports mode?
I'll let ya know when I get my car back. If I recall correctly it's improved although I didn't use Sport mode to effect drive train much because I didn't want to waste more gas as it holds onto the gears longer.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 11:23 PM   #7
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
True, when in sport mode, there is no lag. OP, sorry to hear about all the problems with your vehicle. That really, really sucks!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 11:31 PM   #8
Drnelly
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
Sorry to hear about your problems. It's hard to believe a single car could have so much wrong with it.

I've never known a car of any age to leak during rain. Completely unnaceptable.

What dealership are you working with?

Good luck. Let us know how everything turns out.
Honestly, the leak issue is what made me take action and threaten the dealership with the lemon law. In 12 years of owning cars and 4 of owning BMWs I never had the slightest infiltration of humidity inside my car, much less actual water leaks and condensation derived from them.

My dealership is Circle BMW in NJ. I will report back with my experience on this and the end result. So far, they have been helpful and courteous, let's see if they come through when it matters most.

Thanks for the replies btw, it does make one feel better to have other members pitch in the conversation.
      09-28-2011, 11:57 PM   #9
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drnelly View Post
Honestly, the leak issue is what made me take action and threaten the dealership with the lemon law. In 12 years of owning cars and 4 of owning BMWs I never had the slightest infiltration of humidity inside my car, much less actual water leaks and condensation derived from them.

My dealership is Circle BMW in NJ. I will report back with my experience on this and the end result. So far, they have been helpful and courteous, let's see if they come through when it matters most.

Thanks for the replies btw, it does make one feel better to have other members pitch in the conversation.
Sadly enough, the previous generation X3's were known for their leaking sunroofs and bad vapor barriers in the doors. If you look at their threads, you'll see lots of them about water pooling under the floor mats in both the front and rear of the vehicle. It boggles my mind how BMW can make vehicles that leak! Never worried about a car getting water in it (especially a NEW ONE) until I bought the X3. I love the vehicle, but it stinks that it is even on my mind when it is brand new and cost me a mint!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 06:47 AM   #10
Babbage
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
I really hate that lazy throttle also.
I hated it too. Then my car had to be reprogrammed/updated due to a computer failure. I could swear the lag disappeared, or greatly diminished, the very day I got it back.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 07:50 AM   #11
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Really sorry to hear of all your problems. I can imagine how upsetting, frustrating and downright annoying it must be. I'm sorry that I can't offer any encouraging words but rather selfishly I'm just hoping that I don't have a similar experience!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 09:11 AM   #12
tagz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 xDrive 35i

Tough luck dude!

Wish you the best! Keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 10:52 AM   #13
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Many of the problems I read about on this forum have me very disappointed in BMW and the X3. It's important to realize that forums like this tend to have a higher proportion of problems noted, but even then, I sort of feel like the F25 X3 is worse than other models on Bimmerpost, and certainly worse than what I see on other forums of similar SUVs. BMW needs to get their act together. These are expensive vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #14
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

One only hears about the problems, it's the nature of internet forums. Many of us have trouble-free new X3s, but you don't hear about those.

There are bound to be problems as it's a new model, and being produced for the first time in a US plant. Time will sort out most of the problems.

Patience, grasshoppers.
      09-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #15
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
One only hears about the problems, it's the nature of internet forums. Many of us have trouble-free new X3s, but you don't hear about those.

There are bound to be problems as it's a new model, and being produced for the first time in a US plant. Time will sort out most of the problems.

Patience, grasshoppers.
Don't make excuses. For $45-55K, BMW should have this stuff worked out.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 12:45 PM   #16
Drnelly
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Patience, grasshoppers.
I agree with you that problems are heard much louder than the praises. But in my case, we're talking about 4 different unrelated issues that affect the bottom-line of the car in terms of usability, safety and resale value.

I spoke to the dealership manager this morning, they will put me in a 5 Series, we just need to find out which one and I will be accommodated financially after this mess.

Will keep you updated...
      09-29-2011, 12:54 PM   #17
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
Don't make excuses. For $45-55K, BMW should have this stuff worked out.
You're joking, right?

OK, go ahead and get all cranked up, start legal proceedings, yell/rant/scream on the internet - anything you wish to make you feel better.

You need to realize that anything made by man is open to error, deal with it - methodically and constructively.

These remarks are not aiming specifically at the posters in this thread, but at all those who had problems and are getting frustrated.
      09-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #18
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Show me a car maker that doesn’t have a thriving service department and I’ll be the first in line to buy that car.

All in all this has been the most trouble free car I’ve owned. I feel bad for the few that have experienced problems, but I don’t find anything alarming about the frequency or severity of most of the problems that have been reported to date.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 06:41 PM   #19
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're joking, right?

OK, go ahead and get all cranked up, start legal proceedings, yell/rant/scream on the internet - anything you wish to make you feel better.

You need to realize that anything made by man is open to error, deal with it - methodically and constructively.

These remarks are not aiming specifically at the posters in this thread, but at all those who had problems and are getting frustrated.
It's not a matter of frustration or ranting in my case. It's the strong belief that a BMW should be built better than this, especially in this price range. I have owned first-year cars from other brands, and some had minor issues. Some had no issues. None were nearly as bad as what you can read about the X3 on the forums here. It's not necessarily the seriousness of the problems, but the wide range of them that is alarming to me. Leaks, pulling to one side, hesitation, window regulators crapping out, paint defects, trim defects, …, the list goes on. I expect better from BMW. It's as simple as that.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #20
OLVRCT
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive35i

My X3 was also a lemon, BMW NA offered a trade assist which i took advantage of it. But, I wish i had lemoned the car and gone to another brand. I'm very disappointed with the build quality of the X3s. Yeah, my X3 had a tranny fluid leak after 2 weeks of delivery. Long story short, more than a month at the dealer for repairs. The tranny was replaced but by then BMW NA had offered the trade assist.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #21
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLVRCT View Post
My X3 was also a lemon, BMW NA offered a trade assist which i took advantage of it. But, I wish i had lemoned the car and gone to another brand. I'm very disappointed with the build quality of the X3s. Yeah, my X3 had a tranny fluid leak after 2 weeks of delivery. Long story short, more than a month at the dealer for repairs. The tranny was replaced but by then BMW NA had offered the trade assist.
What's a trade assist? New, comparable car no cost?

Are you not happy with your new X3? Problems with it or soured on it because of the experience?
      09-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #22
married w/X3
1st time BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
It's not a matter of frustration or ranting in my case. It's the strong belief that a BMW should be built better than this, especially in this price range. I have owned first-year cars from other brands, and some had minor issues. Some had no issues. None were nearly as bad as what you can read about the X3 on the forums here. It's not necessarily the seriousness of the problems, but the wide range of them that is alarming to me. Leaks, pulling to one side, hesitation, window regulators crapping out, paint defects, trim defects, …, the list goes on. I expect better from BMW. It's as simple as that.
I would wonder if you were a member of an Internet enthusiast forum for those other brands you owned. The range of experiences available in this context is probably the same for any brand.
Appreciate 0