BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
BMW FINALLY!
Ultimate Driving Machine!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i

Unhappy Sound system? Prem Hi-Fi?

I ordered my car with the regular sound system. It really sounded great. For those of you with your X3's already how does it sound? Am I really going to regret not getting the premium Hi-fi? I love my music.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have the premium HiFi and I'd say it really depends on how into music you are. For radio listening the difference isn't really noticeable but for CDs and ipod it's very nice for $850. If you're not into aftermarket upgrades $850 for the speakers, plus labor, and a warranty is a steal.

In regards to not starting a new thread do you guys like surround sound on or off? I usually have surround on and the music sounds very crisp even when loud but some songs seem to be noticeable better off, what's everyone's config?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
BMW FINALLY!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
I have the premium HiFi and I'd say it really depends on how into music you are. For radio listening the difference isn't really noticeable but for CDs and ipod it's very nice for $850. If you're not into aftermarket upgrades $850 for the speakers, plus labor, and a warranty is a steal.

In regards to not starting a new thread do you guys like surround sound on or off? I usually have surround on and the music sounds very crisp even when loud but some songs seem to be noticeable better off, what's everyone's config?
Thanks for that. Ill see how it sounds! What is the noticeable difference with the cd and ipod?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Radio still sounds very good but compared to cd & ipod the radio sounds a bit flat. Talk radio is well...talk radio but I've noticed that songs I hear on the radio and the same, exact song I have on my ipod sound differently. The radio song doesn't sound as crisp and lacks bass if there is any.

Also this isn't really anything bad but I never thought about this until I got my car. HD radio cuts out when under any cover, be it under a very large tree, a tunnel, etc. This isn't a deal breaker but with normal radio you never cut out in tunnels and can go under 1 or 2 floors underground before the radio cuts out.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
I LOVE my music and IPod so it was a must for me. I noticed the same thing when I did a test drive. The radio just sounded ok with the premium, but when I hooked up my IPOD it sounded fantastic! Crisp, clear and a nice base to it! It was a no brainer for me!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
BMW FINALLY!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
I LOVE my music and IPod so it was a must for me. I noticed the same thing when I did a test drive. The radio just sounded ok with the premium, but when I hooked up my IPOD it sounded fantastic! Crisp, clear and a nice base to it! It was a no brainer for me!
Bummer wish I had know this sooner. Oh well. Thanks for all the info
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm positive aftermarket systems will still blow it away, if you haven't received your car yet the upgraded audio is a very good buy.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #8
silverforumsurf
Private
Rep
Drives: To Buy

What if you copy the music files to the nav HD, is the sound quality still the same? I don't own a ipod but might need to get one if it isn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #9
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf View Post
What if you copy the music files to the nav HD, is the sound quality still the same? I don't own a ipod but might need to get one if it isn't
Don't know as I don't have the X3 yet. Should be here by Saturday! I'll let you know!!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #10
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
The first of our BMW's to have the Logic7 Premium sound system is our X5. After hearing the difference - especially in the large cavern of an SUV, I had to tick that box for the X3. But it all comes down to preference and how much time you plan to spend listening to music in the car. It's not a bad price for the upgrade really.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
TrikinCurt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post

I leave it off.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 08:34 PM   #12
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
enjoy the car and the driving of it...
the sound system on it is already good enough to enjoy your ride...
I'd pay the difference ($850) on a home sound system where I can sit and enjoy a good music at home (or with a nice 60" TV to watch a movie!)
cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #13
Powerrunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2011

I would have been fine with the standard sound system, however my X3 came loaded including the premium sound system. Now that I have it I love it and when it comes time to purchasing a new vehicle it will include the premium sound system. I also have the surround sound option on and it sounds great.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 09:27 PM   #14
BMW FINALLY!
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info everyone. I really appreciate it. I called my dealer and he says I could add the HI-FI but it really sounded good without it. He says he didnt order it on his car because he thought it didnt need it. I'm hoping its fine. I mean it is a BMW
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 07:19 AM   #15
vrrooom
SES
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: 335ix'09,X3'11&911TCab

Garage List
2009 335ix  [0.00]
1987 Turbo Cab  [0.00]
2011 X3 3.5  [0.00]
Question Not sure whats up

My 335 IX control clearly states that you are turning on a Logic 7 system when you check the box. My new x3 with prem.pkg just says Surround when you check the box. Furthermore the on line order status for the x3 with my production number indicated that it was a Logic 7 system but the window sticket just says prem pkg. I wonder what is up. I have had the upgraded sound system in all my X3's (4) and my 335. It is definately much better sounding than my M3's(2) standard systems which were flat sounding.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 12:30 PM   #16
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW FINALLY! View Post
Thanks for the info everyone. I really appreciate it. I called my dealer and he says I could add the HI-FI but it really sounded good without it. He says he didnt order it on his car because he thought it didnt need it. I'm hoping its fine. I mean it is a BMW
that's ma man!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #17
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW FINALLY! View Post
Per Shaw's post....enjoy the ride....the sound system is the easiest thing to do later on so don't even think about regret. I was in the same boat as you but I got past it very quickly once I found out a little more info on the "stock" setups...

Honestly, unless you are getting the Dirac system found in the M cars (which we are not here in the US) even an inexpensive aftermarket upgrade will be an improvement over BMW's "premium" setup. Don't get my wrong the BMW premium HiFi is nice, but the speakers are still not as good as modest aftermarket upgrades, and since this system doesn't have Dirac, there is not a good sound processor...there's just an amp.

Here is what I'm doing......once bavarianmotorworks comes out with their "Stage 1" aftermarket for the F25, I'm getting those speakers along with a $250 alpine sound processor....that combo right there is about 850 bucks....from there I'll pay someone a couple of hundred to do the install and for maybe $1500 (600-700 more than BMW) I'll have a sound system that is worth much more. The Bavarian speakers are a bit pricey but they are good, but what I like best is that they are "factory fitted" so there is no chance they will be wrong. And the alpine sound processor really makes the difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #18
Spitfire
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

In Canada the x28i stock system was horrible... the upgrade the the 28i is the stock system in the x35i. I believe five speakers vs the upgraded twelve. Well worth it, it was part of one of the packages here.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #19
ZipSpeed
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive35i

The stock sound system in the 35i tester I drove sounded terrible IMO. I went with the premium sound setup as I spend a lot of time listening to music on my commute.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #20
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipSpeed View Post
The stock sound system in the 35i tester I drove sounded terrible IMO. I went with the premium sound setup as I spend a lot of time listening to music on my commute.
You have to remember that the stock system in other countries (Canada included I think) is no on par with the stock systems in the US. The stock system in the US has the 12 speaker 205W amp setup...the upgrade is the 16 speaker 600W amp.... in other countries some stock systems come with 6 speakers and there are 2 upgrades..one to 12 speakers and one to 16.

Not sure if Canada has the 6 speaker setup or not by that could explain it.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #21
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
In Canada the x28i stock system was horrible... the upgrade the the 28i is the stock system in the x35i. I believe five speakers vs the upgraded twelve. Well worth it, it was part of one of the packages here.
Ahhh I just saw this sorry... see that answers the question right there... yea with 5 speakers it will sound horrible for sure... your upgrade in Canada seems like it gets you to the stock setup here in the US on all models...28 and 35 both come with 12 stock with the upgrade to 16.

I think the bottom line is this... .in all countries except the US, an upgrade of some sort is required b/c otherwise you end up with 5 speakers.. .in the US, the upgrade from the 12 speaker to the 16 speaker setup is a pricey option for 900 bucks for 4 more speakers and a larger amp. (BMW also claims that the speakers are "better quality" but that is very hard to determine)
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #22
ZipSpeed
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole7374 View Post
Ahhh I just saw this sorry... see that answers the question right there... yea with 5 speakers it will sound horrible for sure... your upgrade in Canada seems like it gets you to the stock setup here in the US on all models...28 and 35 both come with 12 stock with the upgrade to 16.

I think the bottom line is this... .in all countries except the US, an upgrade of some sort is required b/c otherwise you end up with 5 speakers.. .in the US, the upgrade from the 12 speaker to the 16 speaker setup is a pricey option for 900 bucks for 4 more speakers and a larger amp. (BMW also claims that the speakers are "better quality" but that is very hard to determine)
I went to take a peek in my PDF build and under Base Equipment, this is the blurb:

"HiFi 12-speaker sound system, incl. 2 subwoofers"

So from the sounds of it, the Canadian and American version of the X3 has the same stock setup.

Under the same PDF and under Detailed Equipment Descriptions, this is what is says for my upgraded HiFi:

"Upgrades the standard BMW HiFi System with increased power output, digital amplification, surround sound processing and a great number of speakers."

Can any Canadian owners verify that the stock system does indeed include 12 speakers and the premium 16 speakers?
Appreciate 0