BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-10-2015, 09:55 PM   #1
Danielali
Rep
Drives: X3

Unusual behavior. Jerking at start. Please help!

Recently bought an F25, drove it for about 1500 miles, it drove well. Car is a 2011, 2.8 version, 65000Miles (99700kms) on the clock. Car has a few hundred miles on the warranty left.

What happens is that every day when I goto start the car (regardless of time of day), I turn it on and start to accelerate. Within the first few seconds as the car moves forward there's a sudden jerk. It's almost like a loss in power and it lunges forward. Like a pop. Don't know how to describe it more coherently. I would like to put it as a sudden hesitation in transmission. This behavior only happens once a day. Only when I start it first. Thereafter let's say I goto the mall or work I come back and start it and its back to normal.

Also, recently I've noticed that when the car is about to come to a stop, its not a smooth stop, right before its going to stop it jerks lightly. You can feel a hesitation over there.

I'm not too much of a technical person to explain it properly but I hope someone can give me some pointers. Since I am thinking I can take it to the dealership and have them check it. It's good to know what to expect.

There are no faults showing, except that service is due in 3500kms. There is a service package on the car and as I said warranty is valid for another couple of hundred miles. So, I just want to get this addressed before that.

Any tips and suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 04:23 AM   #2
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

I am presuming it is auto transmission - in which case it would be simple to do a gearbox re-set:
Turn ignition on (don't press the foot brake as you don't want the engine on)
Press the accelerator pedal fully to the floor and hold for 2 seconds.
Turn the ignition off.
Release throttle pedal.
Wait a couple of minutes.
This should re-set the gearbox and is worth trying.

The other thought is that the parking brake could be sticking slightly.

Just my initial thoughts.

Last edited by ianfp; 08-11-2015 at 04:24 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #3
Danielali
Rep
Drives: X3

ianfp

Yes, I've read about the resetting the gear box in another thread. Will try it. Also someone was experiencing a similar jerk and thump at start up with their 08 335 and in that thread one person suggested a software update. Attaching the SIB on the post for future reference.

I'll definitely take it to the dealer to see what their thoughts are.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW jolt SIB.pdf (64.1 KB, 507 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 01:57 PM   #4
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielali View Post
ianfp

Yes, I've read about the resetting the gear box in another thread. Will try it. Also someone was experiencing a similar jerk and thump at start up with their 08 335 and in that thread one person suggested a software update. Attaching the SIB on the post for future reference.

I'll definitely take it to the dealer to see what their thoughts are.
The reason I thought about the gearbox re-set is because I had something similar to what you describe on a previous 330 M sport. BMW re-programmed the gearbox and it solved the problem. Being able to do a re-set 'might' fix the problem if it is software. Otherwise, as you say, the dealer will get to the bottom of the problem.
Appreciate 0