BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-28-2018, 05:13 PM   #45
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
side but related note (CSB also):

i was just at LAX last nite. i don't recall seeing ANY CABS!! just a lot of lift and uber stickers on cars. it's been a total transformation.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 05:23 PM   #46
redvitesse
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, E92, Xterra, RoverVitesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post

My insurance specifically excludes coverage if I were to do such driving. How do you address that?
This was going to be my next question.

I worked for an insurance company a couple years ago as an adjuster, and I remember we denied coverage for some of our claims because they were Uber/Lyft drivers. It was considered as using the vehicle as a taxi service per the policy, which required a different type of insurance.

A pain in the ass if you rear-end someone and are liable, a real nightmare if there are injuries and you get sued.
I am with USAA and when I went into my policy in November to do storage on my one car on-line I noticed that there was a drop down to add ride share coverage on any one of my cars.

I think most bigger insurance companies offer this to cover u between fares if you ride share these days.

When you're on a fare, uber and lift insurance will cover you. The big question is to what limit and extent is the coverage afforded through uber and lyft insurance...the OP would have to answer.
Nissan Xterra 2002 (Illinois + Winter = SUV)
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2018, 06:29 PM   #47
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Have you had relations with any of your fares?
Appreciate 1
F30lolz6798.50
      02-28-2018, 06:32 PM   #48
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Have you had relations with any of your fares?
He answered that on the previous page.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
F30lolz6798.50
      02-28-2018, 06:32 PM   #49
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
Concealed carry.
Just make them ride in the trunk or build a bulletproof cage around you.

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 02-28-2018 at 10:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2018, 11:31 AM   #50
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
You will be alive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
Hence concealed. No one knows. Would ya rather die or maybe get fired from a job that is easily replaced? No one is going to tell me I cannot protect myself. I've had jobs where it was in the company policy no weapons on premises. I carried daily & no one ever knew.
Fair enough, though I never thought about getting a gun. Never fired one, only held a few. Never too late to learn.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 11:40 AM   #51
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Garage List
Sorry guys I’ll get to the rest of the questions later on today. Currently eating lunch at a great Peruvian restaurant. Started at 2:30 this morning and ended at 11.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 11:47 AM   #52
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

i randomly drive around for hours at night sometimes. might considering driving uber f80 lol. I live in princeton and would screen the hell out of everyone. however reckless a year ago with 4 month loss of license
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 12:43 PM   #53
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Fair enough, though I never thought about getting a gun. Never fired one, only held a few. Never too late to learn.
Carrying a gun is not for everyone. If you do it, get some training.

Just for the record, even when armed, if I can get out of a 'situation' by handing over my car I will, I have insurance (plus I would kind of like to see a police chase involving a ZL1 ), now if one of my kids is strapped in the back seat that is another story.

Carried firearms are to protect life, not property.

***steps off of soap box***
Appreciate 2
F30lolz6798.50
clee1982796.00
      03-01-2018, 12:51 PM   #54
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Sorry guys I’ll get to the rest of the questions later on today. Currently eating lunch at a great Peruvian restaurant. Started at 2:30 this morning and ended at 11.
Starts thread, does nothing but eat ALL DAY, then won't answer questions. smh

BANNED
Appreciate 1
F30lolz6798.50
      03-01-2018, 05:26 PM   #55
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvitesse View Post
So given this is your new gig for the time being are you running a dash / inside camera?

Give possible insurance claims and safety concerns might be a good idea and cheap insurance.

While I don't drive for a living I put one in my daily/winter driver about 4 months ago just for peace of mind to take the he said she said out of the equation in case of an accident.

Experiencing the relative cheap price, WiFi video replay, and parking mode, going to probably put cameras in my other cars.

For about $150 maybe something you might want to consider.
I don’t have a dash cam but this is something I’m considering. Not only for God willing an accident but for passengers as well. For example, last month during a Lyft Line ride in SoBe (South Beach) a female attacked a male passenger and I’ve heard of male passengers sexually harassing female passengers as well on Uber Pool/Lyft Line. Plus, what if a passenger wrongly accusing me of anything? People are looking to sue and get rich quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
How do you decide whether to take a Uber or Lyft call if both come in at about the same time?

Neither cares that you drive for the other?

My insurance specifically excludes coverage if I were to do such driving. How do you address that?
Each morning that I start I turn on both apps and whichever ping I receive first I quickly accept it and then I open the other app and turn it off. Now there have been times when I receive a ping as soon as I accept the other and when that happens I don’t accept it and let it go on to the next driver.

I remember maybe three years ago that Uber and Lyft would tell their drivers to not drive for the other platform but drivers aren’t employed by either as we are independent contractors so by law they cannot force us to not drive for the other platform.

As for insurance I’m gambling now so I would have to look into how much extra it would be.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 05:34 PM   #56
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
How is the treatment different between Lyft and Uber? I've been told by several drivers that Lyft treats their drivers better and you get paid a bit more. Because of that feedback, I look to Lyft before Uber.
You are correct to a certain extent. Lyft DOES pay more but I’ve gotten faster responses and support from Uber. Lyft has yet to pay me a fair for about $10 from a few weeks ago as there was a glitch and for some reason the ride ‘never happened’. Also, they seem to be shorting me on tolls. A $2.25 toll that I went through with my Sun Pass was $2.25 but they only reimbursed me $1.75. Which reminds me I need to dispute that and keep an eye out if they continue to do this. Uber does pay for tolls if you have to go through one on the way to a passenger while Lyft will not.

On average for every 10 requests I get 9 of them are Uber.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 06:02 PM   #57
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
What sort of items have been left in your car? Did you keep them or return them? Don't lie, we wont judge.

As to the auto insurance questions, my insurance provider, USAA, always ask me if I use the vehicle for Uber/Lyft or any other taxi service. They offer coverage if so. My friend does it and he said his rates increased a whopping $5 per month (USAA).
I have found numerous items such as student passes for Miami’s lousy public transportation (Metro Rail/Bus), Michael Kors earrings, a cell phone and car keys. I have reported the cell phone but the owner hasn’t reached out to me and it’s been in my Honda for the last two weeks. Car keys were returned to the owner yesterday as we met at a neutral site. The pass I kept and sold it on CL for $15 (I kid) and the earrings I gave to my wife. The girl who left them in the car was throwing up outside of the passenger rear window in the 335 right before I bought the Honda. After I dropped her off there was literally BLOOD on my quarter panel . She did leave me a tip on the app the next day, as well as seeing her thong when she was hurling.

For instances like this I always carry a spray bootle with car wash soap/water and rags in the trunk tucked next to the spare tire. I also have a carpet cleaning can and I have been using my rubber mats from the e90 as people do dirty my interior.

For insurance, as I have already addressed I will be looking into it but I have shitty Geico so we’ll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvitesse View Post
I am with USAA and when I went into my policy in November to do storage on my one car on-line I noticed that there was a drop down to add ride share coverage on any one of my cars.

I think most bigger insurance companies offer this to cover u between fares if you ride share these days.

When you're on a fare, uber and lift insurance will cover you. The big question is to what limit and extent is the coverage afforded through uber and lyft insurance...the OP would have to answer.
Their insurance has a $2.5k deductible lol which is an absolute joke to cover damages to my car. Say I got into an accident on the way to pick up a passenger, there is no reason why I would admit that I’m on the clock. It would be handled like a normal accident. The passengers are covered for up to $1M but I haven’t read too much of the fine print.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 06:05 PM   #58
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Garage List
I apologize for the multiple posts but my phone isn’t allowing me to reply to posts that aren’t on the same page.

Today someone gave me 3 stars. Oh well but my Uber rating is still at a 4.96 while Lyft is at a 4.81 which is aberage. IMHO Uber passengers seem to be more laid back while the Lyft passengers have been rating me rather low lately.

This morning some punk who sat up front kept falling asleep on my right shoulder while I was driving and I’m like WTF. Had to wake him up several times for him to stop invading my space.

No flirts to report today

Here is another story to share from mid January. In my 335 I picked up three (3) women in SoBe and as soon as they got in the car they asked if I was a woman trafficker. It was Friday night so my response was, “only on Thursdays I do that”. After talking for the whole ride they gave me about $12 cash in tip and they were hinting at wanting me to go to their room but that changed gears when I mentioned my wife was home sleeping. I think I would have gotten raped.

Last edited by F30lolz; 03-01-2018 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 3
wrickem2101.00
clee1982796.00
      03-01-2018, 07:05 PM   #59
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I apologize for the multiple posts but my phone isn’t allowing me to reply to posts that aren’t on the same page.

Today someone gave me 3 stars. Oh well but my Uber rating is still at a 4.96 while Lyft is at a 4.81 which is aberage. IMHO Uber passengers seem to be more laid back while the Lyft passengers have been rating me rather low lately.

This morning some punk who sat up front kept falling asleep on my right shoulder while I was driving and I’m like WTF. Had to wake him up several times for him to stop invading my space.

No flirts to report today

Here is another story to share from mid January. In my 335 I picked up three (3) women in SoBe and as soon as they got in the car they asked if I was a woman trafficker. It was Friday night so my response was, “only on Thursdays I do that”. After talking for the whole ride they gave me about $12 cash in tip and they were hinting at wanting me to go to their room but that changed gears when I mentioned my wife was home sleeping. I think I would have gotten raped.
Can't rape the willing
F30lolz6798.50
      03-02-2018, 10:53 AM   #60
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

cool job you have, being down here in sofla. lol
Appreciate 1
F30lolz6798.50
      03-02-2018, 11:30 AM   #61
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Would you rather have people sit behind you (back seat, not necessarily right behind you) or in the front passenger seat?

Also, does it take the enjoyment out of driving?

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 02:34 PM   #62
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Would you rather have people sit behind you (back seat, not necessarily right behind you) or in the front passenger seat?

Also, does it take the enjoyment out of driving?
It really doesn’t matter to me. The majority of people sit in the back with only a few sitting up front. Very rarely does a female sit up front and whenever that happens they never shut up and keep talking to me. As long as I get my 5 stars they could sit on my lap, as long as it’s a female, slim but thick in the right places.

The driving enjoyment is basically driving a FWD reliable Japanese car so yeah, not much action, though at times I let Vtec kick in, yo.

The other day I used the 335 for the first time in about 5-6 weeks and got compliments from just about every passenger:

OMG it’s a stick?
This handles like it’s on rails!
Will I be getting charged extra because this is a BMW?
Wow, Uber must be paying you well!
This has to be the cleanest car I’ve ever been in!
That exhaust, I’m in Love!
Is this brand new?! (In my head I was like for real)?

Two passengers asked me for WOT and they enjoyed it.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2018, 02:55 PM   #63
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
cool job you have, being down here in sofla. lol
You know, I do enjoy driving around and I can work whenever I want. I’m my own boss so I push myself to drive more to make more. If I just had the 335 doing this, I would be rather worried racking up the miles. The Honda is a great car for this gig and just like the bmw, my wife’s CTS Coupe and my stepdaughters Fiat 500 Sport, it stays clean as a whistle.

I have read forums for Uber/Lyft drivers and lots of them are bashing the platforms. They complain about the miles on their own car, cancelled rides, rude passengers and not enough fares. I will say that I am fortunate not using the 335 as my primary vehicle, getting paid well and having fun meeting interesting people. Last Friday I met a retired NHL ref and today I met a former minor league baseball player. I usually let the passenger decide if they wanna chat and if they don’t, I stay quiet.

I’m always polite, welcome each passenger with respect as again, 5 stars! In the car for the most part is rock music with some alternative. I try to smack the mats and wipe down the interior whenever I can to maintain the clean look for the passengers as well as for myself.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      03-02-2018, 03:35 PM   #64
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

So, I'm supposed to sit in back? I just want a ride, not a chauffeur
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 04:24 PM   #65
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Haha yeah I can imagine a Honda isn't very enjoyable.

What I meant was since you drive all day does that take the enjoyment out of driving in general, like say on your days off?

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 04:28 PM   #66
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Instead of a Civic, what if you got a decent minivan of some sort within the same price range...would that increase your profit margins any?
Appreciate 0