BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-22-2018, 10:45 AM   #1
jimmymoo
Rep
Drives: 17' Porsche Macan S

Used X4 from Carmax

Hello -

I came across an 15' X4 with M Sport package on Carmax. Carfax showed it used to be lease or lien. The car has 19k miles. I'm interested to know for current owner if they can provide some insights on what I should watch out for when inspecting the car? Any particular issues I should pay attention to that would cost me big time in a long run?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 07:54 PM   #2
Duke I
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Nothing stands out but there are a lot of expensive systems. Are you getting any remaining warranty? That would be helpful. If you have lingering concerns get a PPI performed -- a few bucks for some level of peace of mind.

Otherwise, seek out a CPO car.

Good luck. Duke
2017 X4 M40i (gone); 2010 X5 (last of the NAs); 2007 550i (still missed, except in the snow); 1991 525i manual (great 17-year run)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 11:41 AM   #3
DBU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4MC - Marina Bay Blue

Assuming this is the 2.8i, it would have the N20 motor. AFAIK some MY 2015 X4's may have the new and improved timing chain guides. You should search "the other Forum" and Google for something like "N20 timing chain." Quite a few reports about chain guide failures resulting in catastrophic engine failure (replacement).

But first, take a look at the timing chain by removing the oil filler cap. You will see the top of timing chain. Two things to look for; is the plastic white (almost transparent looking) or is it yellow? Yellow is the troubled part that has now been replaced by the white one. Secondly, do you see any shiny scuff marks on top of the chain? That is an indication things are about to go South.

Finally, listen to the engine at a steady 3,000 RPM. Any whining noise present? BMW will replace the timing chain based solely on an audio recording of this whine IF it matches an audio file they have on their server.

There is a website where you can enter the VIN to see whether this vehicle is covered under BMW's extended warranty on this issue. That extension goes to 7 years / 70,000 miles.

What is Carmax asking for this vehicle?
Appreciate 0