BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 N52T

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
New owner of xDrive28i - Three minor issues

Hi All,

I am a newbie in this forum and a first time BMW owner. After 4 months in dilemma (deciding between GLK, Q5, EX,and MDX) finally I traded in my Saab 9-3 and booked the 2012 X3 xDrive28i in Sep 2011 and got the vehicle delivered in Oct 2011. Now I have 1800 miles, no problems except for punctured pass-side front tire due to a nail, luckily I purchased the tire & wheel protection plan (must have if you drive in Boston or New York city) and it covered the cost. Also I got to test the run flat tire driving to the dealer.

Issue 1: The night before the flat tire incident I was hearing a strange sound from the dashboard, it sounds like the insect "cricket" some kind of static or radio reception sound..very tingling. I stopped the engine and also pressed the power button for 2 secs for complete shut off. But still the sound was coming, if I get out of the car I didn't hear the sound..it comes only on the dashboard. It's been a week and I am still hearing the sound on and off clearly even when the car is moving. The sounds stays for exactly 10-15 mins and then stops.

Issue 2: Delay in acceleration after pressing the gas pedal - but now I am used to sure foot approach after driving few hundred miles. I never tried Auto-H feature, need to try that. Problem with sure foot is at the stop light people think that I am trying to race them and they try to pull along with me.
Didn't expect the 28i engine will be quick enough for X3, sometimes I get pushed back to the seat and I don't regret for not buying 35i which I feel is way too overpowered.

Issue 3: Sound insulation for the doors/windows, I can hear my wife speaking to me outside car even when all the windows are closed and engine is running (i don't have panaromic moon roof ) & doors are shut. It never happened in my Saab (even when engine is shut-off), always I have to pull down the window to hear my wife (hopefully my wife was not shouting at me :P). I asked her speak again normally and I can hear her from the driver side. Does any else notice this or it's a manufacturing defect only in my car.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Issue 1 maybe a HVAC fan blade that's catching on something. Try switching the HVAc completely off and see if you can still hear it.

Issue 2 everyone seems to either get used to it or the car "learns" how you drive. Or likely a bit of both. Gets better with mileage.

Issue 3 imagine what it would be like if you had the mother-in-law with you...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
Thanks Le Chef for the quick response.

The first thing I tried to switch off HVAC completely, then engine and then complete power off. Still heard the sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
Possible solution for Cricket Chirping/Whining sound from AC vents

founds a solution in this forum. I need to check with dealer to fix this issue.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=298527
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
index2020
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivakumarbalu View Post

tire & wheel protection plan (must have if you drive in Boston or New York city) and it covered the cost. Also I got to test the run flat tire driving to the dealer.
Hey - Another newbie here (in NYC). Could you tell me more about the tire & wheel protection plan? Haven't heard of it. How much does it cost and what does it cover? Also, am quite worried about flat-tires with the new run-flats. Can only the dealer fix it or can any reputable tire place fix it?

Regards,
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by index2020 View Post
Hey - Another newbie here (in NYC). Could you tell me more about the tire & wheel protection plan? Haven't heard of it. How much does it cost and what does it cover? Also, am quite worried about flat-tires with the new run-flats. Can only the dealer fix it or can any reputable tire place fix it?

Regards,
Hi,

The tire & wheel protection plan is from BMW and can be purchased from the dealer at time you take the car of delivery, it's covered by any BMW service centers across US. I paid $2,700 for 5 years unlimited miles warranty, they can replace tires and alloys if required. Most of the run flats can be driven till 50 miles at a speed of 40-50mph. If you drive more then the sidewalls will get damaged and the alloys may get bent, in that case any BMW service center will replace the tire and alloy for new one at no cost.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...rotection.aspx

It covers Road Hazard, bent alloys, damaged side walls etc for multiple times upto 5 years.

X3 doesn't come with spare or donut tires since you can drive 50 miles (dealer may say you can drive upto 100 miles). If you don't have protection plan you can replace the tire from any tire shop as long as they carry the run flats specific to X3. The stock tire comes in X3 is Dueler brand, I am not sure if it's easily available.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

$2700 for a tire warranty?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

X3 run flat tires are easily available in US, one of the sources is Costco with tire life time warranty.

So in my view, one need to buy 4 tires max from Costco at $900 approx for the life of the tires and thus it's uneconomical to go for expensive BMW plans.

If you are desperate for protection, drive your brand new X3 to Costco, buy 4 tires and sell your X3 tires on eBay . This way you will save substantial amount.

Last edited by April1; 01-04-2012 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
$2700 for a tire warranty?
I forgot to mention that $2700 includes exterior paint protection film and interior stain protection film along with tires and alloy wheels protection...and I really have bad luck with tires from my previous car...for which each tire came around $300.

It didn't bother me much as monthly payment increased by $40 for 5 years.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #10
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alokbhargava View Post
X3 run flat tires are easily available in US, one of the sources is Costco with tire life time warranty.

So in my view, one need to buy 4 tires max from Costco at $900 approx for the life of the tires and thus it's uneconomical to go for expensive BMW plans.

If you are desperate for protection, drive your brand new X3 to Costco, buy 4 tires and sell your X3 tires on eBay . This way you will save substantial amount.
Thanks Alok! I should have joined this forum before I purchased the car... would have gained more knowledge.

I have one more question...when I took the car for delivery the pass side mirror tilt in reverse worked fine...after that I didn't notice properly and now it doesn't tilt anymore. I do have back-up camera and parking sensors, and I have enabled parking lines and obstacle markings in the screen. Do you know how to enable the mirror tilt in reverse?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivakumarbalu View Post
Thanks Alok! I should have joined this forum before I purchased the car... would have gained more knowledge.

I have one more question...when I took the car for delivery the pass side mirror tilt in reverse worked fine...after that I didn't notice properly and now it doesn't tilt anymore. I do have back-up camera and parking sensors, and I have enabled parking lines and obstacle markings in the screen. Do you know how to enable the mirror tilt in reverse?
On the driver's door there is a selector switch that allows you to choose which side mirror to adjust. Move it to the Driver's Side position. If it is in the Passenger Side position then the mirror will not tilt when reversing.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #12
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
On the driver's door there is a selector switch that allows you to choose which side mirror to adjust. Move it to the Driver's Side position. If it is in the Passenger Side position then the mirror will not tilt when reversing.
Great!!! Didn't know it will be such simple, I will try it once I am home.

thanks for the quick help!
Appreciate 0