BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

UK steering wheels

Any advice on which is best and why? Seems to be a standard "multi-function" - which the brochure shows with no buttons, so how does that work??? And then the sports 255 version at £90. Then for M peeps there is an M version. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Brochure photo of the steering wheel was a pre production photo and not representitive of the actual standard multi functional steering wheel.

The £90 option for the sports wheel is great value for money and I would highly recommend.

Sports wheel (Sport & Standard both got same buttons, sports smaller, thicker and silver trim)

Name:  SPORTS STEERING WHEEL.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  28.1 KB

Standard Wheel

Name:  STD STEERING WHEEL.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  24.4 KB

Best picture of M sport wheel I can find (looks like the sports wheel but with small M sport badge at bottom)

Name:  M SPORT.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  17.6 KB

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps

Last edited by BIMMER UK 76; 01-29-2011 at 01:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks for taking the time. Does look as if it would be easier to grip. So there goes another £90!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

1 for sports steering wheel. Well worth the £90. Cheap as chips compared to most options!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

yeah.. got that option too :P
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

£90 for two lumpy bits and a bit of silver trim - they sure know how to milk it.

I guess that's one of the benefits of selling a product with a list price > £30,000. You can charge £90 for something with a differential cost over the basic wheel of what? Maybe £5? Everyone just shrugs 'cos against the overall cost it's a drop in the ocean. Easy money.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

People have different priorities - I personally like the feel of the sports steering wheel (I even purchased the m-sport steering wheel for both of our 3 series). To me, since the steering wheel is the one piece of the interior I always am in contact with, it is worth the extra cost. Whenever I have a loaner, it is the first thing I notice and don't like..that and sport seats. I also think it gives a car a total different feel when the steering wheel is large and thin…no matter how sporty the car may be..it just doesn't feel that way through the steering wheel.
      01-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #8
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

I'm not having a go at people that like sports steering wheels - my A5 has one at the moment, I love it and it's something I'll miss. My point is BMWs cheek at charging £90 for something that probably costs nothing extra to manufacture or fit to the car and which I'm guessing has negligible design cost.

Multi-function wheels - I get that there's additional effort in designing/manufacturing/fitting but that comes as standard. So, all the hard work is done ... where does the extra cost come from?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLittleUnit View Post
I'm not having a go at people that like sports steering wheels - my A5 has one at the moment, I love it and it's something I'll miss. My point is BMWs cheek at charging £90 for something that probably costs nothing extra to manufacture or fit to the car and which I'm guessing has negligible design cost.

Multi-function wheels - I get that there's additional effort in designing/manufacturing/fitting but that comes as standard. So, all the hard work is done ... where does the extra cost come from?
A true Yorkshireman

Agree extra cost to BMW would be minimal but we can apply this to most things, £90 seems small price to pay for a finishing touch

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 01:26 PM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

The prof multimedia package has to take the biscuit for me. For £2,500 you could get a top of the range Sony VAIO laptop, i7 processor, 256GB solid state drive, 8GB RAM, etc. The CPU the prof multimedia will run off will probably be a 100 times slower, it has a measly 60GB bog standard hard drive of which you can only use about 4GB (from memory). It must cost no more than £400 to manufacture. And despite all this I still paid because what's the alternative? No sat nav or a TomTom suckered to your windscreen.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 03:04 PM   #11
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
The prof multimedia package has to take the biscuit for me. For £2,500 you could get a top of the range Sony VAIO laptop, i7 processor, 256GB solid state drive, 8GB RAM, etc. The CPU the prof multimedia will run off will probably be a 100 times slower, it has a measly 60GB bog standard hard drive of which you can only use about 4GB (from memory). It must cost no more than £400 to manufacture. And despite all this I still paid because what's the alternative? No sat nav or a TomTom suckered to your windscreen.
Couldnt agree more (And yes I ordered it also)

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Appreciate 0