BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
skibuddy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

Engine noise - Possible problem?

Hi,

I've recently noticed that my engine (2.0D M-Sport Auto) seems noisier at rest over the last month or so. I've nearly had the car for 3 months now and done about 2500 miles. Today I popped the bonnet with the engine running and noticed a pronounced vibration/shake on the engine, at least more than I would expect. It was also much noisier than my previous E83 model and I think noisier than when I picked the car up from new.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I was thinking maybe the timing is out as the engine sounds like the tappets are noisy (... Forgive my lack of knowledge if there is either no timing problem possible of the engine doesn't have tappets these days ;-) )

I'm going to take it to the dealer for them to have a look but interested in others views in case it's a problem that has been noticed by others.

Judging noise is subjective and I guess we get used to our cars and notice changes more easily. It may be me but it also feels like the car sounds more harsh when accelerating but that may just be me getting used to the automatic gearbox.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
skibuddy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Going into the dealer on Monday but still interested in opinions, thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Probably worth checking out, but my experience for consideration. I'd had BMWs previously, but moved overseas and back and had a crappy rental for a couple months waiting for the X3. When I picked up the X3 I was amazed how quiet it was, but my comparison was the rental. Sometimes I'd think the engine was off, when it was still on. After driving it a couple months, though, I started to notice the sound of the engine, particularly at idle. Sounded like a diesel locomotive or something. Not really sure if it got louder, but I'm pretty much convinced I just got used to the quiet and eventually picked up on the new sound. On service, the dealer insisted it sounded perfectly normal. Have had no problems. Mine is a gas engine, though.
      04-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Check that the hose from the air filter down the left side is connected and the crock clip is connected tightly
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
skibuddy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the comments. I'll check the air hose
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
am36
Squadron Leader
England
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d M Sport - DSB Manual

Mine seems the same to me - I've had mine 3 1/2 months. If its running okay normally through the rev range then I wouldn't be overly concerned. Could be a loose engine mounting bolt?

Hope it isn't anything serious. Keep us posted!
- F25 2.0d M Sport manual, DSB, black leather with fineline wave wood, Pan Sunroof, 368 M alloys, exterior trim and rails in matt aluminium, reversing camera, sun protection glass, windscreen with grey shade band, heated front seats, extended storage, powered tailgate, Xenon's, bluetooth c/w USB, DAB.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 03:44 AM   #7
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Ours has done 12k and seems fine when at rest. So worth getting yours checked out.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 06:05 AM   #8
Kiernan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition/911 GTS

Hopefully there's nothing wrong, and it's down to the way we get used to things; what previously sounded really quiet starts to sound normal, and then we start to look for problems (I do anyway).

I recently just came back from a holiday in the US and we hired a Ford E350 minibus with a 5.4 litre V8 petrol engine. Not the most sophisticated vehicle I've ever driven and whenever you tried to accelerate the engine made a right racket. When I got back in my X3 with it's little 2 litre diesel engine, it sounded so quiet and smooth that I couldn't believe the difference. I've never been a fan of diesels but couldn't help thinking a good diesel would have suited the van much better.

Anyway, driving to work this morning, I couldn't help thinking that my engine had got a bit rougher and noisier than when I got back last week. After listening a bit more, I was of course wrong and it's just that I'd got used to it again, and I wasn't comparing it with the noisy lump in the van.

Like I say, hopefully yours will be fine but let's see if the dealer finds anything.
      05-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
skibuddy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Apologies for delay. Dealer had the car for the day and checked it. Nothing wrong and all normal. They said I wasn't the first person to report this. Their only explanation is that the newer lightweight engine casings (he said magnesium alloy) transmit noise much more than the older heavier engine blocks. Not sure whether this was a fob off but I suppose it makes some sense. I was given a ride into town after dropping the car off in a new 7 series 3.0d, which was a lot quieter but I guess the bigger engine would make a difference :-(

I think it's probably just me and I will retune my audio tolerance over the coming months and relax about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
am36
Squadron Leader
England
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d M Sport - DSB Manual

Good to know that nothing is wrong.

I would think that a 7 series noise insulation would be a couple of notches above the F25's, so not too surprised to hear that.

Thanks for the update.
- F25 2.0d M Sport manual, DSB, black leather with fineline wave wood, Pan Sunroof, 368 M alloys, exterior trim and rails in matt aluminium, reversing camera, sun protection glass, windscreen with grey shade band, heated front seats, extended storage, powered tailgate, Xenon's, bluetooth c/w USB, DAB.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

I have had my 20D M Sport for about 6 weeks and I am still trying to get used to how noisy the engine is. I am told that the X3 diesel is not as quiet as in the saloons. I have previously driven a 20D saloon and it was much quieter.
One thing I think makes a difference is fuel grade. I used supermarket diesel and the engine seemed noisier than it is when filled with a named brand. I have also tried Millers diesel additive which raises the Cetane level and improves combustion apparently.
I certainly prefer the sound of my 330i, but I am getting used to the diesel.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
The engine is definitely noisy when cold. When warm, at idle it's pretty quiet, at least as good, or better than my previous renault scenic (1.9D). It is noisier when you put the foot down, but in a *nice* way, I have to say the noise at 3k RPM is pretty awesome, I didn't expect the lowly 2.0d diesel to have such a nice roar, it is a bit addictive :-)

One thing I noticed recently is a small "whistling" noise sometime, I thought it was linked to the aircon, but it doesn't appear to be, seems like the cooling fan or something. It seems to come and go, and perhaps it's linked to the external air temperature... Still trying to figure this one out...
      07-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #13
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Buze, does the engine get quieter when run-in more? Mine has done 5000 miles now!
Sometimes I like the sound of the engine - I am considering having the twin tail pipe exhaust fitted. I don't know if it will change the engine sound, but the exhaust will sound more sporty.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 04:02 AM   #14
sac aus
Registered
Rep
Drives: x3 Xdrive 20d LCI

Noise from Engine

I am having similar issue with my X3 20d. Rather its so loud you can not sit inside car even after you switch off engine. My car is with dealer for last one week and haven`t received any feedback.
Mine has done just 2500km.
" width="800" height="450" frameborder="0">

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibuddy View Post
Hi,

I've recently noticed that my engine (2.0D M-Sport Auto) seems noisier at rest over the last month or so. I've nearly had the car for 3 months now and done about 2500 miles. Today I popped the bonnet with the engine running and noticed a pronounced vibration/shake on the engine, at least more than I would expect. It was also much noisier than my previous E83 model and I think noisier than when I picked the car up from new.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I was thinking maybe the timing is out as the engine sounds like the tappets are noisy (... Forgive my lack of knowledge if there is either no timing problem possible of the engine doesn't have tappets these days ;-) )

I'm going to take it to the dealer for them to have a look but interested in others views in case it's a problem that has been noticed by others.

Judging noise is subjective and I guess we get used to our cars and notice changes more easily. It may be me but it also feels like the car sounds more harsh when accelerating but that may just be me getting used to the automatic gearbox.

Thanks

Last edited by sac aus; 04-15-2015 at 01:34 AM.. Reason: Video link
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 06:12 AM   #15
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i have noise only when the car is at rest. After i drive off and coming to stop or light, noise comes back on.The noise isnt loud but you can hear it clearly when its parked. I had it diagnose by bmw few weeks back and they report it was fine. BMW replaced HPFP. I even had shop foreman test drive the car and also heard "sputtering" noise. Almost sounds like something is caught on fan/belt as it slow down you hear it more.. As u speed up the noise goes away.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 02:48 PM   #16
JimSchush
England
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0 D SE Auto

We have exactly the same problem on our 24 mth/24000 mile 2.0 d auto however on our car it is intermittent. I would describe it has an harshness in the engine sound however it doesn't have any affect performance.
I have spoken to our local agent who tell me they haven't had a problem with any other x3s.
I now just need to be able to replicate it when it's next in for service.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 04:01 AM   #17
brainy
Rep
Drives: 340i

I went out on a drive with the lead mechanic at the BMW dealer near my place to investigate some noises in my m135i. I got talking to him and he was explaining to me that they get people all the time complain about engine noise from the 2L Diesels.
He explained to me that it's all normal but it's apparently the direct injection which is causing the noise.

Not sure if this is the same in your case, but i thought it was worth mentioning.

Brian
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 06:50 AM   #18
x99
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0D (F25) since 1 of April

Hey,

There is known problem with BMW N47 engine 2.0D related to the two timing chain located at back of the engine. You might hear a rattling noise at 1500 rpm. Here is the story http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=974836

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 03:51 PM   #19
A1traveller
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F25 xdrive 20d M Sport

Im very happy with the engine sound at idle in my X3, much quieter than a previous 320dE90,
However, this past 1000 miles while driving between 40&60mph a whinning sound from some where? back to the dealer today, a quick drive round the block to confirm then straight into their workshop, 30 minutes later, they said that they are keeping the car, new rear diff required at only 21k miles and 18 months old
I can only assume that it wasnt safe to book the car back for another day?
      12-14-2015, 04:17 PM   #20
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1traveller View Post
Im very happy with the engine sound at idle in my X3, much quieter than a previous 320dE90,
However, this past 1000 miles while driving between 40&60mph a whinning sound from some where? back to the dealer today, a quick drive round the block to confirm then straight into their workshop, 30 minutes later, they said that they are keeping the car, new rear diff required at only 21k miles and 18 months old
I can only assume that it wasnt safe to book the car back for another day?
Was it a constant whining sound, or only when changing gear? Just curious.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 06:01 PM   #21
A1traveller
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F25 xdrive 20d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp View Post
Was it a constant whining sound, or only when changing gear? Just curious.
This is a consant whining sound,
Got my car back today 6pm, but once i got on the open road, the sound is now coming from the front, i have since clocked just over 120 miles, and its back worse than ever from both the front and back. I looked under the rear, and there is a new diff there all right, but im back to the dealer 8am tomorro